• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Shock loss or Over harvesting?

R

RayZo

So it's been about 3.5 weeks post FUE hair transplant (4000 grafts) from Hermest clinic in Turkey. The recipient area is fine but the donor area specifically the right side is not looking that great. It has this big patch of no hair and is still quite red. Unlike many others that I read, the hair hasn't fallen off. It's just never grown. However, it is not itchy. On the left, as you can see in the photos it's a much smaller and less noticeable (right now). After reading multiple blogs, I'm still not sure if mine is shock loss or over-harvesting.

The person assigned to me told me not to worry - she said that it was shock loss and would come back in 3 months, but the reality is that my head looks horrible and I feel embarrassed to walk around like this. She said to try to use minoxidil for 1 month but I don't think that will do anything.
Any help/ advice on what this truly is and then what to do to look normal-ish in the next few months would be great.

IMG_7505.jpgIMG_7511.jpgIMG_7513.jpgIMG_7519.jpgIMG_7520.jpg

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any immediate post-op pictures showing the extractions?

R

RayZo

I have pictures day 1 after the operation was complete and the bandages removed. Not just after the extraction was complete

IMG_7075.jpg
IMG_7076.jpg
IMG_7078.jpg
IMG_7079.jpg
IMG_7084.jpg

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Thanks for providing after surgery photos of the donor area. Whether it's over harvesting or shock loss or combination of both on the right side remains to be seen in few months. For now, I'd suggest apply some cover ups like Toppik, Fill-In, etc to help cover up some of the redness and lack of hair on the right side. Be sure to wash it out each night when you're not out in social situations. Fingers crossed the hairs will grow back in few months.

R

RayZo

Thanks for the note. Yes hoping for the best. Fingers crossed!
If anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation and it ended up working out fine, do let me know - would love all the reassurances i could get :)

R

RayZo

Unfortunately, no real progress in hair growth. The clinic tells me that I will have to wait for 3-4 months before hair starts regrowing back there. Whats concerning to me is that the redness has no subsided at all. That area also feels different from the rest of the head

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Ifd say it is shock loss that should recover. Some people do experience excessive shock loss that can take up to 6 months to fully recover.