• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

1500 FUE - Maitland Clinic (Dr Ball)

D

Dive

I had a 1500 FUE hair transplant in Dr Ball's Portsmouth Maitland Clinic in July 2018.

Background:
I'm a 28 year old male who had noticed minor hairline recession (always had a high hairline) but notable thinning in the front third of the scalp since the age of 25. My hair loss was very slow and steady over this period, but people started pointing it out for the first time in around April 2018 which led to me finally deciding to take action. I was on the verge of just buying a good set of trimmers and buzzing it all off, but instead I decided to do my research thinking that I might as well exhaust all options before taking the plunge. My research was extensive, utilising reviews (which is why I'm inclined to write one of my own!), before and after pictures, and opinions from respected figures in the field, like Joe Tillman. My research ultimately led me to Dr Ball and the Maitland Clinic in Portsmouth, which was about as far away from where I live in the UK as it gets! But sitting here 8 months post op, I can tell you it was worth both every penny, and every inch of the journey down there (twice).

Consultations:
I was not taking any medication for hair loss until after my initial FaceTime chat with lead patient consultant David Anderson, who recommended Propecia. I ordered this immediately after our conversation, and fortunately experienced no side effects ( nor in the 10 months I've been taking it since). I then decided to have a face to face consultation with David at the clinic, to see if I was a good candidate, to examine the extent of my hairless, and to explore what realistically could be done to help. Luckily it wasn't a lost cause, and so David recommended a conservative approach to keep my hairline the same, but pack the frontal third with 1500 grafts to significantly increase the density. I was realistic with my goals, and happy with this recommendation. It promised to be a mature hairline which allowed a lot of wiggle room for any future hairless (hopefully a long way off now!). I decided there and then to book in for the operation, which I had a month later. I should also note, I stayed at the Village Hotel which is within walking distance of the clinic for both the consultation and the operation, it's ideal.

The Operation:
The night before the operation, I went to the clinic and met Dr Ball (Edward) for the first time. He drew the hairline on (identical to my existing hairline) and explained what was going to happen the following day. He took pictures from every angle imaginable, and seemed genuinely hopeful that I would have a good result. My hair, which I was sick of looking at in its current state at this point, was shaved off on the day of the procedure. The entire day itself was a pleasure, really. Countless snacks, able to listen to my own music, and a fine selection of films meant that the (approx.) 8 hour procedure went as well as you could hope for. Dr Ball removed each of the hair grafts himself, and made each of the incisions. Following this, it was down to Janna and her team to place the grafts, which they did very efficiently indeed. Following the op, Edward inspected his handiwork and seemed genuinely impressed with the initial result, which of course put me at ease. My head was carefully bandaged, and all the aftercare instructions and equipment I needed were given to me.

The only downside to the day and indeed the entire experience, was leaving and walking back to the hotel as the clinic is situated in a very large, busy building comprised of many businesses. Still, as my procedure finished after 5 and I was let out the back door, even this wasn't too bad.

Overall:
All of the team were excellent. Both David and Edward are not only excellent at what they do, but highly personable too. I would recommend them to anyone suffering with hair loss, I believe they set the standard in the UK. The aftercare and sleeping sat upright isn't what I'd describe as easy or comfortable, but it's all more than worth the effort. I kept my hair buzzed very short for 4 months following the procedure, only letting it grow midway through the 4th month. Incredibly, not one person has noticed I've had anything done, even my best mates who would certainly have said something after a beer or two. People say I look younger, I'm more confident than I was when I was obviously balding, and I'm delighted with the result. I intend to go back around the year mark for a proper check up to see exactly how my hair is doing.

Progress:
I've added a link to progress pictures, which include pre-op and months 1, 3, and 6. I'm currently month 8 post op, and will post further pictures at month 9 if there's sufficient interest.

SB20

SB20

Super write up and looking impressive for 6 months. Maitland clinic are very good.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Everything sounds like you had a good experience with The Maitland Clinic. Your hair growth looks decent at 6 months, it is taking shape and framing your face.
Being at month 8 you still have a way to go, although the hardest part is now over.
I`ll look forward to seeing your next update.

All the best.
Bm.

V

Viking

Buzzing the hair short after the transplant is something I intend to do when I get round to having surgery. How long after having the op do you have to wait before being allowed to buzz?

Your new hair really suits you, they did a very good job:)

D

Dive

Buzzing the hair short after the transplant is something I intend to do when I get round to having surgery. How long after having the op do you have to wait before being allowed to buzz?

Your new hair really suits you, they did a very good job:)

I'm almost certain it was 3 weeks, which isn't very long all things considered. I was back playing sports after that time too. The grafts aren't going anywhere after 3 weeks.

I'm going to provide one final update the next time I get a haircut, which will be at the 10 month mark.

V

Viking

Thanks Dive good to hear your recovery was so quick.
Look forward with anticipation to your future update.

D

Dive

Been a long time since my initial post, but thought it was worth updating with what are by now my final results. The pics will be going on the website, so obviously they're as happy with their handiwork as I am!

It's worth pointing out as well that I've continued taking finasteride daily since the procedure. I went back to the clinic early this March and saw both David and Edward. David used the microscope all over my scalp and where there had been early evidence of balding before, namely the crown, this had completely stabilised. In a nutshell, finasteride has stopped my hair loss and the transplant has increased the density at the front. For anyone in doubt, this combination is the way to go.

Fantastic experience overall, highly recommended.

ID1257_Before_After_above-2.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_Above.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_Front_tilt.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_Front_top.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_Front.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_left_45.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_left-Hairline.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_left.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_right_45.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_right_Hairline.jpg

ID1257_Before_After_right.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Dive. Thanks for popping back on to update. Everything looks great, a nice result you`ve achieved. Good to hear that your crown loss has stabalised with the help of Finasteride. Did David or Dr Ball say if they think you`ve had some regrowth?

D

Dive

Hello Dive. Thanks for popping back on to update. Everything looks great, a nice result you`ve achieved. Good to hear that your crown loss has stabalised with the help of Finasteride. Did David or Dr Ball say if they think you`ve had some regrowth?

They did suggest that there was evidence that the hairs in the crown which had begun miniaturising had thickened since my previous visit. David was pretty thorough with the microscope, covered a few different places, and didn't come across any miniaturised hairs (that I can recall). I have noticed that when my hair falls out now, the quality of it is significantly better than 2/3 years ago, it doesn't cause me anxiety to shed anymore. I've not experienced any side effects from Fin either so it's fair to say I've been one of the fortunate ones. Fingers crossed this continues for a good while yet.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That's good to hear the Finasteride is working, plus no sides, and that your hair is in better condition. I`ve been using Proscar and Finasteride for 15 years, the only side is a bit of Gyno. It has definitely helped me keep my hair.