• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

2,181 grafts by Dr Lupanzula at Medikemos - 25/03/2021

• Thread starter Chardee MacDennis
  • Start date
C

Chardee MacDennis

Hey everybody.

I’m a UK based 40 year old and have been lurking on this and other forums for many years now. Never been much of on online contributor but given the amount I’ve learnt here and elsewhere I wanted to share my experience to hopefully aid others who are researching their journeys.

Been fortunate to experience only mild hair loss at the front, receded temples and a bit of thinning in front. Most of the loss occurred in my mid to late 20’s and has been relatively stable ever since. Started fin a number of years back and subsequently added min. The combination of the two has greatly improved the condition of my native hair. No noticeable regrowth but a thickening of all existing hair and no sides for either.

Throughout the last 4 years or so I’ve had a number of consultations with transplant clinics both in the UK and abroad. The majority conducted face to face but a few virtual consults as well. I had Dr Lupanzula on the list due to having seen a huge amount of great results with patients who had a similar level of loss to myself. Following several productive discussions with his patient rep Scott I had a meeting with both which convinced me that Medikemos would be the clinic for me.

Made my final decision in December last year and booked in for March 25th 2021. Travel during lock-downs was less of an issue than I expected (few forms to fill in to enter and leave both Belgium and the UK but plain sailing overall) and I headed over on the 24th with my return just 48 hours later. Pre-op on the 24th was nice and easy – quick chat, bloods taken, hairline drawn, pics taken, head shaved – and took around 45 mins. I stayed at the clinic recommended Hotel Catalonia which is only a 10 minute walk.

Day of the operation was surreal and way easier than anticipated. Arrived at 6.30am having barely slept (mainly out of fear of sleeping in and missing the op). The doctors assistant greeted me and led me through the first half hour. Ordered some lunch, changed into scrubs, took various meds and by 7am I was lying down having the first injections (which were only around a 2/10 on the pain scale, expected worse given what you read about them). Extractions ended around midday and the doctor swiftly moved to making the incisions. This took about an hour and immediately after two of his team members began the implantation process. This lasted through until 3pm at which point I was cleaned up, photographed and then sent off to get changed.

Following this I had my lunch, paid my final bill and then had a post-op with Dr Lupanzula where he provided me with sprays, meds, head covering and a USB drive with details of the op and all the photos. We chatted for a good 30 or 40 mins and then I was back at the hotel before 5pm. Rest of the day was a bit of a blur, lots of spraying and eating. Next morning I headed back to the clinic for a wash and final chat with the doctor and then travelled back to the UK that afternoon via train.

The next 2 weeks I closely followed the Dr’s post-op plans and from day 14 post-op I just put a baseball cap on and did my best to forget about the procedure. I knew it was going to take a long time for my head to look normal again and even longer for the transplanted hair to grow so I just put it out of my mind, avoided my reflection and got on with life.

Shed a lot of hairs in the first month but very little from then on and seemingly kept approx 50% or more of the transplanted hair which just grew straight off. Didn’t suffer any shock-loss of native hair and around month 2.5/3 the hair that had shed began to grow back in earnest. I’m now at month 4 and 10 days and with a little more maturation of my right hand side and the same again behind the hairline (where I had a lot of shedding) I’ll be delighted with the final result. Truthfully I'm already very happy with where it is today and appreciate I got lucky with early growth.

Overall I’m very glad to have chosen Medikemos and Dr Lupanzula for my transplant. He’s a top tier surgeon, a calming and reassuring presence and an absolute pleasure to deal with. The patient rep Scott was super helpful throughout – responsive, knowledgable and full of useful tips throughout the process. The clinic itself is spotless, the staff are friendly, talented and efficient. In conclusion I’d highly recommend Medikemos for anyone interested in a transplant and particularly those with a similar level of loss.

If you made it this far well done and thanks for taking the time to read. If anyone has questions on the clinic, process, travel, recovery etc. just add them and I’ll respond where possible. Cut me some slack on response time though – I’m an irregular visitor.

Thanks all. Pics below.

Day of:

Centre1.jpgLeft1.jpgRight1.jpg
Centre2.jpgLeft2.jpgRight2.jpg
Centre3.jpgLeft3.jpgRight3.jpgDonor.jpg

4 months, 10 days:
4 months 1.jpg4 months 2.jpg4 months 3.jpg4 months 5.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chardee, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.
It`s good that your hair loss did not progress further and the meds have helped improve your native hair, plus no sides.
Everything sounds like the whole process went very smoothly, from first contact to the whole surgery. The work looks very nice and clean. Those 2181 grafts will make a very nice new hairline. It’s already looking great at 4 months. Having 50% of the transplanted grafts not shed and continue to grow must have been a big help during the recovery period.
How was the train travel after surgery?
I’m looking forward to following the rest of your progress.
All the best.
Bm.

Scott Medikemos

Scott Medikemos

Valued member
Hi Chardee, thanks for the comprehensive write-up detailing each step of the process. This will be invaluable to the community and I'm really looking forward to seeing your updates over the coming year.

C

Chardee MacDennis

Hi Chardee, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.
It`s good that your hair loss did not progress further and the meds have helped improve your native hair, plus no sides.
Everything sounds like the whole process went very smoothly, from first contact to the whole surgery. The work looks very nice and clean. Those 2181 grafts will make a very nice new hairline. It’s already looking great at 4 months. Having 50% of the transplanted grafts not shed and continue to grow must have been a big help during the recovery period.
How was the train travel after surgery?
I’m looking forward to following the rest of your progress.
All the best.
Bm.
Hey Bigmac, thanks for your note.

Indeed, the whole process was great from start to finish. I was stunned to have so many grafts grow from the off and it certainly helped in the recovery. I was hoping to be out and about with no hat by month 6 and instead found myself with passable hair before 4 months was up which was a most pleasant surprise. The growth has continued since I last posted and the hair is maturing nicely. I'll pop up a couple of pics next week when I hit month 5.

Travel post-surgery was fine. The eurostar was practically empty with around 10 people per 100 capacity carriage. Amusingly there were 2 other chaps travelling back wearing the same bandana/do-rag I'd received from the clinic, one of them carrying a large BHR bag. We never spoke to one another but there was the occasional knowing look along the lines of "Yes.... I have also joined the club".

One tip I do have for folks travelling back from a procedure on the eurostar who need to spray saline regularly. When waiting in the station if you find the toilets closed or busy (as they were for me), head to the photo booth. Perfect for a quick spray in privacy.

@Scott Medikemos - thanks for dropping in. I'll be in touch over e-mail next month with the 6 month pics. Hope all's good mate.

Scott Medikemos

Scott Medikemos

Valued member
The photo booth advice is priceless! :ROFLMAO:
Looking forward to your next update!

C

Chardee MacDennis

Month 5 pics added (22 weeks exact). The right hand side (where I experienced the most shedding) has filled out nicely and the rest of the hair continues to mature. Looking forward to further progress and I'll pop back with another update in a month or two.

Month 5 front.jpgMonth 5 left.jpgMonth 5 right.jpg

Scott Medikemos

Scott Medikemos

Valued member
Hi Chardee, thanks for the update, ahead of the game for sure and you are progressing nicely. Still plenty more regrowth and maturation yet to come which will bring with it the density and naturalness.

M

mustang2

Valued member
This is looking very nice!
Congrats on your new hairline

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It is looking great for 5 months. No one would ever think you’ve had anything done, it’s looking that natural.
Back to 4 months. Nice that you had enough growth allowing you to go about things as normal. You certainly are a fast grower. Good to hear the train journey was a breeze. You should have spoke to the other 2 HT guys, it would have been fun. As for the photo booth, good idea.
I’ll look forward to seeing your next update.
All the best.
Bm.