• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

2000 grafts 14/06/2021 Dr Arshad - The Hair Dr

R

RN9

Hi all, been a lurker here and other forums for many year's now, and today was the day I finally took the plunge and had a hair transplant, having suffered hairloss in my hairline when younger so thought would share my experience of the day.

Lockdowns and working from home meant now was the best time.. I was originally planning on going to Turkey, but another Lockdown meant that was out of the window. Disheartened, I spotted the name. Dr Arshad/The Hair Dr cropping up, and some really good results. And their surgery was only 45 minutes away from me, I began researching them some more. After a consultation, I settled on them and agreed a date.

Fast forward to today, and I arrived at the surgery at 7am, and was immediately greeted by Adam who made me feel at ease right away. He took me up to meet Dr Arshad and Sommiya who ran through some questions, checked my hair and asked what I wanted to achieve. They were honest, transparent and friendly so after agreeing that I wouldnt like all of my hair shaving, we went to get my hair trimmed and prepared for the treatment. I was dreading the initial injections, but I didn't think they were actually that bad. The numbness kicked in fast and Dr Arshad began the process of extracting from the doner area. I must say, Dr Arshad and the staff in the treatment room were absolutely brilliant during this - constantly checking if I'm OK, friendly conversation and a quick break during it.

Lunch time arrived around 12, and a sandwich was kindly ordered for me, free of charge along with drinks and biscuits. Adam came in and has a good chat with him. He was genuinely passionate about what they do there and was nice to talk about my hairloss with someone for the first time in my life!

After lunch, it was time for implants, and this was easier than the morning as you are lying on your back listening to music (or watching Netflix if you like) whilst Dr Arshad himself built my new hairline. After this, the surgeons then got to task implanting 2000 hairs and again they were brilliant. Friendly and courteous. Dr Arshad came back in to check, and was very positive about how it was looking which was great to hear. We were finished around 5pm, and I was taken care of before having a chat with Sommiya who ran me through the after care before I left with a bag of medications and a handy chart detailing what I need to do and when.

Even though the day was long, it absolutely flew by and I was so excited driving home, checking my new hairline in the mirror and imagining how it will look when it grows through.

Everyone at clinic was absolutely amazing, I can see why they are highly regarded. Now it's the final stretch - no doubt a few frustrating months ahead, but 12 months from now hopefully I have the hairline I have desired for 15+ years. I will update this thread regularly as they have been really beneficial reading for me, hopefully my journey ahead proves useful for someone. Feel free to ask me anything.

Attachments

• _20210614_191510.JPG
    _20210614_191510.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 331
  • _20210614_191530.JPG
    _20210614_191530.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 274
  • _20210614_191541.JPG
    _20210614_191541.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 263
  • _20210614_201840.JPG
    _20210614_201840.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 250
  • _20210614_201821.JPG
    _20210614_201821.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 285
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Sounds like you had a great experience with The Hair Dr and his team. Now it’s just a waiting game

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Looks very neat work. Was it 2000 grafts or hairs? That's a very large area that has been covered for 2000. I'd expect 2.5k - 3k. Best of luck!

R

RN9

Looks very neat work. Was it 2000 grafts or hairs? That's a very large area that has been covered for 2000. I'd expect 2.5k - 3k. Best of luck!
Thanks. 2000 grafts. I probably got a little more than I paid for too as they pointed out the front bit and surrounding area that hadn't receded was thinning, so they shaved that bit off and implanted there too for future proofing

R

RN9

Day 1 Update

So it's been 24 hours since the surgery, and happy to report no swelling yet, and no pain whatsoever. I'm sticking to the after care plan which involves spraying the grafts with saline spray and the medications such as anti-swelling, paracetamol and anti biotics which were all provided by the clinic.

Managed to get around 5 hours sleep last night by being upright, propped up behind me with a V shaped pillow and a travel pillow along with some protective gloves to stop me inadvertently scratching my itches. Not going to lie it wasn't very comfy, took me awhile to drift off but hopefully tonight will be a bit easier. Feeling really positive and relieved that it's done now and the patient game begins. Couple of pics of the recipient area attached.

Attachments

• _20210615_180842.JPG
    _20210615_180842.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0081.JPG
    DSC_0081.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 221
R

RN9

Day 3 Update

Doner area looks to be healing really well, and recipient area looking good too. Have had a couple of check-in messages and video calls with the clinic on WhatsApp which is nice touch. Haven't felt any pain whatsoever, and no swelling yet either! Sleep is still uncomfortable due to sleeping upright using the travel pillow. I'm a side sleeper usually so this has been the only hard thing to deal with if I'm honest.

Attachments

• _20210617_131110.JPG
    _20210617_131110.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 173
  • _20210617_131534.JPG
    _20210617_131534.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 196
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum RN9. It`s good to hear your surgery experience went well and you`re happy with the hairline placement. It`s exciting seeing a full hairline again.
You look to be healing ok and on track. Sleeping can be uncomfortable for the first few days but it`s soon forgotten about. You`ll be looking forward to your first hair wash now. Good to hear there`s no pain or swelling, always a plus when that occurs.
Thanks for sharing your story.
I'm looking forward to following your progress.

R

RN9

Welcome to the forum RN9. It`s good to hear your surgery experience went well and you`re happy with the hairline placement. It`s exciting seeing a full hairline again.
You look to be healing ok and on track. Sleeping can be uncomfortable for the first few days but it`s soon forgotten about. You`ll be looking forward to your first hair wash now. Good to hear there`s no pain or swelling, always a plus when that occurs.
Thanks for sharing your story.
I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Thank you. Will definitely be keeping this up to date with my progress

R

RN9

Day 5 Update

Some swelling now, under my eyes but not too bad, and crusting has well and truly begun. Looking forward to my first wash on Monday.
I had a gathering I had to attend yesterday and was panicking about it as can't wear a hat, and it's very blatant what I've had done, but after a quick call with the clinic in the evening, Sommiya asked if I could come in in the morning and they will try style it for me. After turning up at the clinic, they gave me what has to be the most impressive combover ever seen! Also had a look at the Grafts and Doner area and confirmed everything was looking absolutely fine and they took some more pics.
Got through the gathering without anything mentioned, which was a huge relief. Although having a transplant in the UK might be more expensive and certainly not as many quality clinics about so choosing the right one becomes harder, there are benefits to having it done here like this. Knowing they are a 45 minute drive away gives me huge peace of mind.

Anyway, I can already feel a difference in my confidence since the procedure. Even though I know this hairline will shed soon, I cant stop admiring it! Might sound daft but after so many years of hating/hiding it, you cant help but stare at it in the mirror when you see it.
Updates will be less frequent from now, I will try and do updates every month or so but feel to ask me any questions if you are going through, or thinking about going through a similair journey.

_20210619_220622.JPG

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear you got through the gathering ok and it was very nice of Somiya to sort your hair for you. Your head is looking crusty now. Have you been spraying it with an after care spray?
You can hang around the forum and offer support to others who are researching and the ones who’ve just had surgery.

Thanks for the update.

R

RN9

Good to hear you got through the gathering ok and it was very nice of Somiya to sort your hair for you. Your head is looking crusty now. Have you been spraying it with an after care spray?
You can hang around the forum and offer support to others who are researching and the ones who’ve just had surgery.

Thanks for the update.
Yep I was regimented with the spray. Had a couple of washes this week which felt great, I think I need to be firmer in getting the scabs off whilst washing as I'm being really gentle out of fear of damaging something.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
After day 4 the grafts are secure. As you’ve started washing now a good way is to let the shampoo soak for 5 - 10 minutes. This turns the scabs very moist and easy to remove with some firmer massaging when rinsing off. If you do have any scabs that don’t soften or last a bit longer just keep washing as suggested but never pick it off. I remember having a scab that lingered for around 16 days before it eventually came off.

R

RN9

After day 4 the grafts are secure. As you’ve started washing now a good way is to let the shampoo soak for 5 - 10 minutes. This turns the scabs very moist and easy to remove with some firmer massaging when rinsing off. If you do have any scabs that don’t soften or last a bit longer just keep washing as suggested but never pick it off. I remember having a scab that lingered for around 16 days before it eventually came off.
Ah OK. I've been letting the Sebamed shampoo soak for 10 minutes, then rinsing with a jug. Haven't been massaging whilst washing off so will try that today, thanks for the tip!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. It feels good when the scabs are all gone.

R

RN9

Day 11

Nearly all scabs have gone now and hair growing through. Gentle but thorough washing with the Sebamed shampoo twice a day has really helped. Not much redness which I'm happy about, hopefully everything is as it should be. Next.milestone is the shedding I guess.

_20210625_190404.JPG

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It all looks like you’re healing is on track. There doesn’t seem to be much redness as you’ve said. The shedding may happen quickly or gradually. You may even be a lucky one who does not shed at all.

R

RN9

1 Month Update

4 weeks to the day today since the procedure so thought would be good time to post an update. Well into the shedding phase now I think. Some feeling returning on the sides of the recipient area, centre still feels numb and sensitive at times. Experimented with hair fibres from week 3 but takes skill to apply properly I'm finding!
Doner area seems fine.
Cant believe how fast a month has gone. Huge sense of relief when you navigate those first couple of anxious weeks and can relax and get on with things now

Pictures taken after shower under a harsh light.

Attachments

• _20210712_204652.JPG
    _20210712_204652.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 113
  • _20210712_204720.JPG
    _20210712_204720.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 154
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Everything looks ok. You have passed the hardest part, now it’s the ugly duckling stage.
The hair fibers can work great once you get the hang of it. Try to use little as possible, a light dusting looks natural.

Reactions: RN9