• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

3000 grafts @ The Hair Dr

• Thread starter Hoping_for_hair
  • Start date
H

Hoping_for_hair

Hi Guys

It's still sinking in that I have finally actually done it but has my HT yesterday. I thought I would share the journey with you all as the forum was a big factor in helping me with my decision.

I went to the Hair Dr in Leeds, was feeling nervous driving over in the morning but as soon as I arrived the team gave me such a warm welcome it helped put my mind at ease.

I was originally booked for 2.5k grafts after video consultantstion but after a closer look and discussion with Dr Arshad he felt that I would benefit from an extra 500 to help with the crown. There was no pressure to do so but I was happy to increase - while I am committing to the procedure I wanted to give myself the best shot of coverage.

The extraction session in the morning wasn't as bad as I feared. I'm not a fan of needles or blood so being face down helped not being able to see what was going on but the Dr's and Technicians were good at explaining what they were doing and answering my questions as we went. After the initial jabs to numb the area (Shap scratchy feeling) which are over quite quickly the extraction was painless.

What is a little awkward is being face down for a while. It's just unnatural and wasn't painful - but the team kept checking i was comfortable and were able to have break half way. Once it's numb I didn't feel anything but you can hear the grafts being punched.

My donor region had a good density apparently, and the follicles were quite "long" which made it easier to asses and handle them. I also had a lot of multiple grafts and was shown one with 5 hairs (one of the technicians later said she implanted a 6!). Overall I had quite a lot of 3+ (I will ask for the count sheet to confirm for you all) which, fingers crossed, will help with the crown density illusion.

Then it was lunch, I was asked what I would like in the morning and there a big selection of fruit and sweet treats to pick from as well. The guys kept checking on me and popping in for a friendly chat and offering me drinks.

Then it was on to making the incisions. You are sat up at this stage so more comfortable and after a couple of sharp scratchy jabs to numb the area (less than the morning) and fluid to help the grafts, you don't feel any other pain - they described the feeling like wearing a helmet which was very accurate!

It was a bit weird hearing your skin be cut but as you don't feel it, it was totally fine. Again, able to chat with the Dr and team who were happy to answer questions and kept me informed of every stage.

You then stay sat up for the implant section, this was the longest part for me.

The technicians were great doing this, again I didnt feel any pain. They were all really friendly and happy to answer questions or just have a bit of a chat to pass the time, which helped me relax. You could watch TV if you wanted to or have your mobile.

We were able to take breaks when needed and again, was really looked after, kept being offered drinks and snacks. It took a good few hours so it's nice to be able stretch once in a while!

The Drs kept coming in to check on progress and how I was feeling, which was reassuring.

Once all the grafts are inserted there were final checks, then i got my goody bag full of meds along with a video to remind me what to do and a guide as to what to take when. I then had a debrief, given a contact number if I had any questions and took some pics of the grafts then was on my way (with a top tip from one of the technicians that I could remove the car head rest to minimise any risk of bumping my crown!).
I had an hour drive back home. While a bit tired from a long day I felt absolutely fine to drive - the extra snacks I was given helped perk me up (although if I was a long trip I would be tempted to stay locally overnight or get a lift).

Overall I couldn't be happier with how the day went and with everyone at the clinic - they were all the the perfect blend of professional but very friendly and really felt looked after and reassured at all times.

Now on to stage two and trying to protect the grafts while they heal. I found last night a bit awkward and ended up sleeping on the sofa to keep me more upright as I try and avoid accidentally knocking the grafts. I still managed to get some sleep.

I can't wait to see what result I will get but just need to give it time! I'll post some updates too as I go.

Attached some before shots from my earlier post and then some after the procedure. I'll send some more in a few days when I can remove the bandage.

Attachments

• IMG-20210305-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210305-WA0009.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG-20210305-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210305-WA0004.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_20210202_221451.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221451.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_20210202_221227.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221227.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20210202_221230.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221230.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 646
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
It’s a great feeling once you know you have had it done. Glad you had a good experience with the Hair Dr and his team. Now it’s just the waiting game!! Hang in there fella it will be worth it

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Hoping for hair. I`m pleased the forum helped you with your research. Now that you`ve had your hair transplant, we are here to support you through your journey.
It`s good to hear you had a good experience with the clinic and the procedure. The work looks good, it should produce a nice result for you.
Your pre op pictures look as though you`re roughly a Norwood 4.5. Are you on any hair loss regimen to prevent future loss?
All the best.
Bm.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Thanks Bigmac. Yeah I am happy to share my journey and I am sure the forum will be a big support for the months ahead!

I've been on finasterade and minoxidil for about 2.5 years now which has stabilized my loss I think, and helped with some growth. I wanted to give it time before getting transplant to see what would happen, as it is such a big decision. I'm continuing with finasterade per the Dr's aftercare guide and when I have healed up, will look to restart minoxidil again.
Ive got some biotin too which I will use and might give my laser band another go, once my skin has recovered of course. Never quite sure if that made a difference but I guess I have it so won't lose anything by trying!

I'll share some donor area pics in the next few days. It was nice to take then bandage off! I have some swelling which is moving down my forehead - trying to keep some ice on it to help.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That's good to hear you think it`s helped with some regrowth. The main objective is to prevent further loss or slow it right down which hopefully, is what it`s doing. If you have a laser I would use it. Most say it does not work but when someone like Dr Ron Shapiro says he believes for some it improves the quality of their hair, then why not. I wouldn`t pay thousands for one though. The Biotin may help with some quicker growth, again, no harm in using it. With some luck, the ice packs will prevent the swelling from spreading down your face.

It`ll be good to see your donor pictures when you add them. Next, you`ll be looking forward to your first hair wash.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Hi all - it's Day 3 for me.

Everything looks like it's starting to heal. I've just been resting up and following the post care guide for the meds and keeping grafts sprayed.

I've had a little swelling on my forehead but it's going away - been using an ice pack to help.

Sleeping has been fine - I got a weighted blanked which helps as I normally move about a bit so this has been keeping me still.

I've not had any pain jus occasional urges to itch!

The pics are not the best sorry as been taking them myself (The darker patch on the top down shot it just a shadow)

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_162308.jpg
    IMG_20210308_162308.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_20210308_162220.jpg
    IMG_20210308_162220.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_20210308_162150.jpg
    IMG_20210308_162150.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20210308_161942.jpg
    IMG_20210308_161942.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 457
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Everything looks fine at 3 days post op with the healing going to plan. Keeping the grafts sprayed really does help with healing.
Good to hear you don`t have any pain and the little bit of swelling is going away.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Hi guys - prob in the full on paranoid stage but after a recent spray of the graft area noticed this graft had got caught with some excess water running down my forehead.

Do you think it's a full graft or just some shedding (tricky to get a good pic as it's so small!)

Attachments

• 16154089008944083713523516566186.jpg
    16154089008944083713523516566186.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 455
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
That’s just shedding, nothing to worry about. I had the same thing happen and panicked also. The clinic reassured me everything was fine

H

Hoping_for_hair

Phew thanks for that Baldingman!

That was my first panic moment so far

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It`s hard to tell as the image is not clear enough but at 5 days your grafts are secure so it`s most likely a shed graft, especially as it has come out without any force.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Day 7 and first wash.

Was probably overly gentle with the grafts! I didn't rub very hard, just rinsed well then let the shampoo soak the grafts before rinsing off.

Was very weird touching the graft area after doing my best to avoid it all week!

Felt good to actually get it washed and will try and build up more confidence to push a little firmer next few days to help with the scabbing.

I've also started applying aloe vera to help with the redness

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_094756__01.jpg
    IMG_20210312_094756__01.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_20210312_094744~2.jpg
    IMG_20210312_094744~2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20210312_094738~2.jpg
    IMG_20210312_094738~2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20210312_094709__01.jpg
    IMG_20210312_094709__01.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 483
J

jordygill4421

Looks real nice mate, nice to know someone else on the same timeline as me so we can keep in touch and compare how we’re getting on!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looks to be healing well. The first hair wash always feels good. The grafts are securely in place now. Let the shampoo soak into your scalp for a few minutes and then massage it in before washing it off.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Thanks BM - I was an bit firmer with today's wash after letting it soak in. Got some of the scabs moving so hopefully shift the rest of them over the next few washes.

Pretty sure I will have some lingering redness as I am naturally very pale skinned, so keeping on with the aloe Vera.

Still not had any pain and not too many urges to itch, thankfully! Scalp feels ok - occasional tingle but feels less tight.

I am a bit nervous about being back on Zoom calls with work on Monday - might have a play around with the camera angle and try and pass it off as another self haircut!

J

jeezy

Looking forward to hearing your progress, I just had 2500 grafts done last week so a week behind you.

Best wishes with the regrowth :)

H

Hoping_for_hair

Thanks Jeezy

The first week went quite quickly I found with spraying and the routine etc.

This morning I got the usual "you've had an extreme haircut" but been passing it off as trying it out before lockdown ends which after the initial banter people seem to have accepted it.

Interesting to see as I she'd as I was completed on my hairline!!

J

jeezy

Thanks Jeezy

The first week went quite quickly I found with spraying and the routine etc.

This morning I got the usual "you've had an extreme haircut" but been passing it off as trying it out before lockdown ends which after the initial banter people seem to have accepted it.

Interesting to see as I she'd as I was completed on my hairline!!
Yeah, my plan in hope is to try and stay under the radar for first 2 weeks, 4 down, 10 days to go!

C

ChrisN

Valued member
Thanks BM - I was an bit firmer with today's wash after letting it soak in. Got some of the scabs moving so hopefully shift the rest of them over the next few washes.

Pretty sure I will have some lingering redness as I am naturally very pale skinned, so keeping on with the aloe Vera.

Still not had any pain and not too many urges to itch, thankfully! Scalp feels ok - occasional tingle but feels less tight.

I am a bit nervous about being back on Zoom calls with work on Monday - might have a play around with the camera angle and try and pass it off as another self haircut!
Similar to you, I had concerns about the work video calls, especially since the scalp still has a pinkish tone. When the webcam was on the top of my monitor I always had the room lights on as there’s a spotlight above my head that bounces light off my scalp and I have my pre HT look.
Now I’ve lowered the camera and stuck to the underside of my monitor so it looks up. Much better camera angle as doesn’t show the scalp !

H

Hoping_for_hair

I played around before joining a proper call to see what I looked like which helped my concerns.
I have my laptop a bit further away from me and lower down, as I use a second screen which helps (well I think it does!)
As with most things, I don't think people really cared much once they first saw me, and was probably more in my head.
I am glad I'm not in an office yet, as would be more self-conscious given the scabs, so would have had to have two weeks off to let it settle down