• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

4680 grafts in Mediterranean patient

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
Here is a patient we performed 4680 total grafts on - I'm sorry, until recently we didn't keep individual hair counts but his last session was April 08.

First session 1780 grafts back in 05

second session 1475 grafts

Third session 1425 grafts

573 single, 690 double, 162 triple.

His graft numbers have been low as although his hair texture is excellent, the density is not high and he is keen to keep his hair short, so we kept his strips very narrow to ensure a fine scar. This you can see is well hidden in the rear photo. So, although we could certainly now achieve this result is two sessions rather than three, he is pleased with the result and the fine scar. He has decent density over the top and some coverage on the crown.

Attachments

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dr Rogers

Do you have any immediate post op and a similar top down picture to his pre op picture.Also any pictures of his scar and when was his second surgery.

He looks to have achieved a good result and nice density.

Thanks bm.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Looks like a very nice result. Ofcourse I too like to see the immediate post op work as this gives a good idea of the placement and the finesse of the work. Definitely a great cosmetic change.

NN

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
This patient should be in next Friday for a small op to strongly define his hairline, so I can take his photos then.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dr Rogers for the additional pictures.

Do you have any immediate post op to show the placemeny of grafts.Also it would be great if you could take some pictures of his donor area/scar when he visits.

Thanks bm.

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
I forgot to post his post op photos of his scar - here is a pic straight after we removed his stitches at 8 days. It looks nice and clean and not inflamed. It should all grow back finely again within the next month.
The peculiar circular scar in the centre is not us, it was already there from a childhood incident, we just happened to pass through some of it taking the strip. He's already had one strip from this scar incidentally.

http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/attachment.php?id=685

Attachments

D

drmwamba

Valued member
Nice achievement for density on top.Another touch up in the frontal hair line will close the deal.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Dr Rogers

Do you usually remove sutures at the 8 day mark as most say at least 10 days.

Thanks bm.

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
8 days is the earliest, I tend to say 8 -10 but I don't think more than that is necessary (can have undesirable side effects if longer). I'm one of the approx 50% of HT docs who perform 2 layer closure (deep internal + shallow external with tricho closure in most cases). So the external sutures don't tend to have much tension on them (also, strip thickness tends to be maximum 1.2 cm rather than more, because a thicker strip increases the risk of poor scarring). So nowadays, my scar results are usually good to excellent (but the compromise is not doing more than 3000 grafts in one session).

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that Dr Rogers.

So do you find that doing the inner sutures creates a better donor closure with optimal results.

bm

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
Yes, I think we get more consistently good scars with 2 layer closure - less likely to have "train track scars" and damage to the donor hair because there is usually very little tension on the edges. It also makes trichophytic closure much easier.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dr Rogers as what you are saying corresponds with Dr Mwambas approach.

bm.