• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

5+ Weeks No Shed

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

I'm 5+ weeks post op and still w/no major shed of the grafts. I think I've shed some of the grafts around the corners (sides) of my hair line. Questions:
-is it possible to shed SOME of the grafts & retain others?
-at what point, if any, is it safe to assume I won't shed at all?
-for those grafts which I don't shed does it still take 12 months for the to mature, or do they just grow in like normal hair?

E

El Nino

Valued member
Hi NG2GB,

I've just looked at your day 8, 12 and one month pics and IMO you've already shed a lot of grafts.

My advice is try to relax a bit and stop inspecting it every chance you get. But I know it's easier said than done!

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

hmm...maybe your right. It is hard for me to tell TBH. I just know that there are still grafts there. It does look markedly thinner at the corners of the hair line. Thanks for taking a look.

P

Philb

Some people react differently, we have quite a few that get to your stage with many grafts intact but inevitably they fall. Sometimes it may seem more because the hairs can turn quite coarse due to being removed and placed again so the blood flow is cut off temporarily and they can dry out. The result on the whole takes as long as it takes and I don't think anything has been proven either way that shedding or remaining is better or aids speedier growth. The hair still has to go through cycles of maturity and not a lot we can do to change that, just keep your scalp clean, don't get it burnt and I'm sure you'll get a great result, fully in about another 11 months.

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Thank you Philib, that was very informative.

On second thought, I think El Nino is right. For some reason I thought my hair looked denser the first couple weeks as a result of it being shorter...in rhetrospect perhaps this was a foolish assumption. I just snapped some shots this morning, I'm 5 weeks and 2 days post op today. Let me know what you guys think compared to my earlier pics: significant SHED or no major shed?

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00758.JPG
    DSC00758.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,761
Last edited:
NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

this is the area I see a real marked difference on both sides.

Attachments

• DSC00759.JPG
    DSC00759.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,808
Last edited:
NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

unfortunately I don't really have any real clear close ups that show the individual grafts from straight on; only the sides.

Attachments

• DSC00462.JPG
    DSC00462.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 3,717
NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

wow! maybe I have shed a lot...actually good news as it will be thicker.

Attachments

• DSC00465.JPG
    DSC00465.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 5,108
Last edited:
NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Looking at this, my hair line actually looks wider/bolder here than it does now; but the angles of the picture can make a difference. Time will tell.

Attachments

• DSC00560.JPG
    DSC00560.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 3,858
Last edited:
NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

5 Week Scar Close Up

Attachments

• DSC00729.JPG
    DSC00729.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,732
Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Hi NG2GB,

I'm no expert but to me I'd agree a fair amount of your grafts seem to be hanging in there. I've had a few 'die hards' but less than you. I think that as part of the regrowth process we can (sadly) expect to see them all go. I'd think that the fact you've kept so many for so long shows how good your op was and how little trauma the hairs experienced. That's just my home-spun theory however and real experts would need to chip in.

T.C

T.C

My transplanted grafts didnt shed either and kept on growing in my new hairline normally which I was very pleased about as my head was shaved and I had a patchy bare front which when longer I could disguise by combing hair forward. I know it is rare for this to occur and is probably to do with individual physiology. NG2GB might be one of the lucky few!!!! .

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Thanks Baldspot & TC, your opinions are appreciated. TC, how many months post op are you? You NEVER shed some of the grafts? I think I've shed more than I previously thought, but some are certainly hanging in there.

T.C

T.C

NG2GB, I had my HT done 2 years ago and I was told grafts would shed within 3/6 weeks.it was easy to tell they were staying put and growing at the front certainly however I did notice some shed behind the front in the temples and forelock when I washed my hair but I would say I only shed about 20/30%.I think if you make 6/8 weeks you have a very good chance of keeping the hair still present in place,even 30 % will make a big difference.Maybe its something special in the blood!.

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
I've been looking for a Homer Simpson 'Whooo hooo' graphic but couldn't find one so you'll have to make do with the above. You may be one of he lucky few NG2GB who will be flicking your hair in our eyes at the next meet and we'll be cursing your success and Elvis-style bop hairstyle...

H

hair-raiser

Valued member
Hi

I'm now 5 weeks 4 days post op with BHR (Dr Bisanga) - during the first few weeks I noticed lots of tiny hairs being shed, notcible as I was washing my hair carefully in the sink so the evidence was there to see.

However as my hair has grown I see hair growing in the transplanted area that I dont think was there before so I'm assuming these are transplanted hairs that haven't yet shed and will hopefully not do so now its been nearly 6 weeks.

The hairs are in the crown area, strangely on the left hand side as you look at it from the back. The right hand side has lost all of the transplanted hairs it seems.

Philb kindly posted my post surgery pics on this forum

http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/view_topic.php?id=468&forum_id=3

so you can see the area I'm trying to describe. The only other explanation I can suggest is that the extra care and diligence I've been taking of my scalp since the transplant has paid off by allowing the original non transplanted hair in the area to grow better and fuller??

I've been applying rogaine foam 2x a day as opposed to once a day prior to the op, plus I've been applying aloe vera and vitamin E daily to the recipent area to help healing. At night I started using folligen about 2 weeks after the op, and have been using Alpecin caffeine shampoo daily as a trial to see if it helps growth (a friend swears by it).

Also I started MSM 3000 mg daily a few days after the procedure. I've been taking 0.5mg dutasteride for years and will continue to do so.

So, maybe the extra care can explain it, but given the disappointing 'new' growth results from topicals etc in the past I'd still lean towards the idea that these are transplanted hairs growing still - the purpose of my hair care regimen has and still is to protect and maintain currtent hair growth.

HR

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yup sounds like some of your grafts are hanging in there,you will be seeing your natural hair returning too which can be misleading a little.