• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

5500 FUE (2 Sessions)

P

Philb

A case Dr. B treated over two procedures with FUE, it must be noted that the patient had a higher than average density of FU in his donor prior to the first procedure as 5500 grafts is not the norm. He was a NW5 hair loss stage, the first procedure was to cover the frontal area with 3000 grafts, spread slightly more than usually. The second FUE was to slightly go over areas of the front and then concentrate further back and the crown.

PRE OP PICTURES

3000 FUE PLACEMENT & 12 MONTHS POST OP (1ST PROCEDURE)

RESULT OF 5500 FUE GROWN OUT

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Phil

Nice coverage he has,how far post op is he after the second procedure.

Also with such a large session and the above average donor density,has the patient more donor in reserve for future procedures if needed.

Thanks bm.

T.C

T.C

Phil,Do you have any pictures of his donor shaved or the extraction zone to see how it looks.This guy must have spent a fortune on this but its a good improvement for him and hopefully he can add some more density with either head or body hair in future when his bank balance has recovered!!!.

P

Philb

Bigmac wrote:
Hi Phil

Nice coverage he has,how far post op is he after the second procedure.

Also with such a large session and the above average donor density,has the patient more donor in reserve for future procedures if needed.

Thanks bm.
Hi bm,

Firstly we do not believe in tapping the donor to get a result, always important to leave something in the bank for a rainy day.

He had an average density in the donor of approximately 90 follicular units per cm2 and good hair characteristics prior to the first op. His initial goal was to cover the frontal areas, re-create a hair line and cover the mid section; understanding that even with good characteristics the density may appear a little thinner because of the larger coverage. This was achieved with 3000

One year later the goals were to refine the hair line a little more, dense up the mid area further and place hair in the crown. This was achieved with a further 2500 FUE. The final 5500 pictures are after the 3000 (17 months post op) & 2500 is at 5.5 Months Post Op.

As his average density has gone down to approx. 73 FU cm2 but the surface area of the scalp has not changed it would not be ideal or in our opinion ethical to go for another relatively larger FUE session; sure there maybe a few more in the bank but not a great deal. He still has FUT to fall back on and with his density being just slightly below average he could still get around 2500-3000 plus surplus FUE.

Hi TC, hope all is well with you.

Here are some donor pics during the procedure, pics not great to be honest though...

6 DAYS POST OP 3000 FUE (1ST PROCEDURE)

12 MONTHS DONOR SHAVED AFTER 3000 FUE

12 MONTHS DONOR SHAVED AFTER 3000 FUE & 2500 MORE EXTRACTIONS

T.C

T.C

I am doing good thanks Phil,just started a few weeks ago back on the propecia after previously getting sides on the full dose.Am only taking .5 mg every 48 hours which so far is agreeing with me.Will see how it goes!. I like the way Dr B takes from a wide area of donor to minimise the impact,very tidy and ethical.

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
T.C wrote:
I like the way Dr B takes from a wide area of donor to minimise the impact,very tidy and ethical.
I have mixed feelings about this case. While I agree the benefits of extracting from a wide area will lessen the impact and the work does indeed look tidy, I'm also a little surprised the grafts are extracted from outside the safe zone" considering hair loss could be extensive.

T.C

T.C

Hi Janna, I too agree that its better to keep to traditional safe zones especially at back where it can go thin alot. I think though it would be better to use all the safe zone if having multiple fue procedures to avoid patchy areas. Maybe after examination it was decided his loss area was well defined and safe for them to take a few higher up.Need to see the back really!.

P

Philb

janna wrote:
T.C wrote:
I like the way Dr B takes from a wide area of donor to minimise the impact,very tidy and ethical.
I have mixed feelings about this case. While I agree the benefits of extracting from a wide area will lessen the impact and the work does indeed look tidy, I'm also a little surprised the grafts are extracted from outside the safe zone" considering hair loss could be extensive.
The extraction pattern does cover the surface of the donor area and does take into consideration the quality of hair and the patterning of his hair loss. He was approaching 40 years when he had the last procedure and when shaved down it was clear to see a strong patterning of MPB and all the hair was extracted from areas outside this and with no signs of any miniaturisation. Being able to shave down his hair and truly see the patterning of hair loss, measure the extent of miniaturisation the safe zone can be mapped out per person within certain boundaries of course, otherwise if every FUE case the "safe zone" would have to be considered as NW7 potential and this would make the technique almost redundent in the amount of grafts it could potential allow to harvest.

Here is the last pictures the patient sent us, I know it's a "glamour shot" and not HT but this is after 15 months post op the last procedure.