• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

8 Days Post FUE - Scabbing

J

JamieS1992

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this after surgery,

I'm in no pain, no dislodged grafts or anything,

I started my "contact washing" so touching baby shampoo into the recipient area and rinsing off after 5-10 minutes,

I still haven't had any scabs fall off yet, is this unusual?

TIA :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
At day 8 you can gently massage the shampoo into your scalp, this should help in removing them. Some people just take longer to heal than others, this may be why your scabs don`t seem to be shifting. Just be patient and they should be gone within the next week.

J

JamieS1992

At day 8 you can gently massage the shampoo into your scalp, this should help in removing them. Some people just take longer to heal than others, this may be why your scabs don`t seem to be shifting. Just be patient and they should be gone within the next week.
Thanks @Bigmac, probably silly to but as with most things post surgery it's easy to overly worry. Appreciate the response!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of people worry post op. Following your doctor's post op instructions should see you ok but it doesn`t hurt to have things confirmed by others who've been through the process.
Anything else just ask away.

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

I agree on the "lots of people worry post op" statement.

Best of luck on your recovery. Unfortunately, time is your best medicine.

S

Sammmuel

By 8-10 day you need to have your skin cleaned out of scabs, I heard that scabs prevent oxygen nourishment of the roots.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
No, just let them heal at their own speed. It is your blood supply that nourishes them and supplies the oxygen.

J

JamieS1992

Some very tiny amounts of scabs have came off today but not very much

My post op instructions say begin this week by dabbing the shampoo into the recipient area then rinsing with water squeezed from a sponge. Then as the week progresses I can begin gently massaging

I want to double check with the clinic before my wash tomorrow what they meant by gently massaging, I've began applying slightly more pressure when dabbing the shampoo in

In anyone's experience, when they've hit day 9 and are massaging in how are you doing it? Gentle circular motions or just pressurised dabbing?

I've read online many patients are overly gentle when it comes to this stage, but I'm concious it "forcing" the scabs off rather than allowing them to naturally fall off during washes

Maybe I am being too cautious though I'm curious what others think?

Thanks for anyone who has the time to reply

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
When I washed my head for the first time on day 8 I just made sure that I had plenty of shampoo the dr gave me on my head so it was nice and slippery and rubbed in a circular motion. I think most of my scabs were off by day 12

S

Sammmuel

Did the clinic give you any instructions on wash?
You must apply lotion/ cream with gloves, wait till scabs are softened (20 mins). Then wash with shampoo softly. In a week you need to increase the pressure a little bit and all scabs will be out.

Yes, nourishment and oxygen come from blood mainly. Clean skin is also important.

D

Dan

Yes
Did the clinic give you any instructions on wash?
You must apply lotion/ cream with gloves, wait till scabs are softened (20 mins). Then wash with shampoo softly. In a week you need to increase the pressure a little bit and all scabs will be out.

Yes, nourishment and oxygen come from blood mainly. Clean skin is also important.

Yes they did, following it and there are coming off now.

J

JamieS1992

So I'm on day 12 post surgery now and as was the case on day 8, very little of the scabs have came off. I emailed a photo to my clinic and asked about it and an opinion on how I'm healing. They responded saying that I'm healing well, to continue washing as I am and if on day 14/2 weeks post surgery I still have a lot of scabbing then at this point I can vigorously rub the scabs off when washing but of course instructed not to pick.

I was also given a breakdown of my 2 weeks post surgery instructions about what I can now return back to doing.

Is being 12 days post surgery with the majority of scabbing something I should be concerned about?

Last edited:
D

Dan

Mate I’m at the same stage as you last two days Iv uses some Bepanthen cream and my scabs are now clearing

D

Dan

So I'm on day 12 post surgery now and as was the case on day 8, very little of the scabs have came off. I emailed a photo to my clinic and asked about it and an opinion on how I'm healing. They responded saying that I'm healing well, to continue washing as I am and if on day 14/2 weeks post surgery I still have a lot of scabbing then at this point I can vigorously rub the scabs off when washing but of course instructed not to pick.

I was also given a breakdown of my 2 weeks post surgery instructions about what I can now return back to doing.

Is being 12 days post surgery with the majority of scabbing something I should be concerned about?
Try not to worry. Up til day 10 I was and made a post on here. Iv been using the bepathen cream and in 2 days I have very small amounts left. Give it a try it should help you too

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
@JamieS1992
Let the shampoo soak into your scalp, then stay under the showerhead on medium power for 5-10 minutes letting your scalp soak and massaging the scabs. They will come off but don`t be alarmed if they linger a bit.
Scabs are part of the healing process. Maybe if not already eat healthier foods, immune booster foods, Broccoli, Spinach, Almonds etc. We all heal differently.
Have you a picture so we can see how many scabs are still there?

J

JamieS1992

@Bigmac thanks for that, that's pretty much what my clinic advised I do tomorrow with me being 2 weeks post op then

I'll pop a photo below. Some came off today but not a lot, they are all very loose how they appear to be attached to the implanted hairs that are left rather than the skin so maybe I'm being too soft. Some hairs have began shedding the last few days with some of the scabs that have came off, which I'm given to understand is normal for them to breakaway with the scabs

Attachments

• 20200830_164758~2.jpg
    20200830_164758~2.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 239
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Be a bit more aggressive with your massage. Your grafts are well secure now and no harm will come to them. You will have hairs come out that look like they have the bulb attached and others with scab/dead tissue attached. It`s all normal.

Shedding hair grafts.jpg