• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

8100 FUT - Dr. Muresanu, Hattingen HT

J

janosch

Hello everyone !

I am 40 and I lose my hair since I'm 25. Very discrete at the beginning, I managed to hide it for several years using a concealer, but lately it became very difficult to conceal it any further, which pushed me to do that surgery.

I’m posting this testimony about my hair transplant, which I will feed with updates until M+12.

It’s almost 2 years now that I took the decision of having a surgery, but didn’t find the time to do it until now.

I chose Hattingen clinic in Switzerland, because I saw their results, which I found excellent and really impressive. I also live in Switzerland, and it was also more convenient and reassuring for me.

My previous consultations (in person, skype and telephone) with Dr Muresanu only comforted me in my choice. He’s friendly and always attentive to one’s needs. The clinic has a lot of experience with very large sessions.

I have a Norwood 5-6 baldness on a rather important surface, and it was decided to go for a FUT (for budget and efficiency reasons) of 5500 FUs.

The surgery took place on the Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 of May, over 2 days. The reasons they switched to doing large surgeries over 2 days are that they do not want to be under any time stress, and want to concentrate on every detailed aspect of the surgery. Dr.Muresanu said that after years of doing 2 large surgeries per day, he realized that at some point everyone on the team gets tired and that hair transplant surgeries are not the domain where speed and maximum number of patients are the main objective. He compared it to fine craftmanship, artisan slow food, basically something that requires time.

First day:

I’m arriving by train at 7:00AM. I took the train since I live at 40 minutes away. However, to be more comfortable, I would recommend taking a hotel nearby, it’s much less stress.

I’m being taken to the operating room, where pictures are taken, then I’m being given a sedative and paracetamol.

And here we go : I get lidocaine injections on the back of the head in order to anesthetize the donor area. I hate injections normally, but it was quite tolerable. Dr Sever & Laura Muresanu then take the first sample. I didn’t feel anything, neither the cut, nor the suture. They mentioned how amazing my laxity is and that we would probably get more then expected.

The assistants then remove the prepare the grafts under microscopes. Meanwhile, Dr Muresanu anesthetize the recipient area and starts with the preparation of the recipient sites. As soon as the recipient sites are finished the implanting of the grafts start.

Some small breaks, one lunch break, and round 2 of the implanting. I don’t feel anything and the sedative is very efficient, I think I slept most of the time.

End of the day, and we get the verdict : 3800 grafts in the first sample !

I’m going home the same day by train. We’ll start again tomorrow at 7am.

First night :

The lidocaine is still effective a few hours after the surgery, and I fall asleep without any major problem. However, around midnight the anesthesia vanishes gradually but quickly, and the pain becomes stronger, a pulsating pain. I’m taking the Tramadol all the paracetamol that was left, but it has little effect. Sleeping is difficult, but at least I can keep the transplanted area moist and I pass the walk in circles the apartment.

Second day :

I’m arriving at the clinic for 7am. Dr Muresanu enquires about the night. He suggests that I stay in Schaffhausen the next night and not to hesitate to call him if necessary.

Same as the day before, sedative and paracetamol, and then lidocaine injections, which help immediately, all the pain disappears, it is a huge relief! I couldn’t sleep the night before, so it doesn’t take long until I fall asleep. I’m waking up a few moments later, while the suture is being done. No pain whatsoever.

Later in the afternoon, the lidocaine effect vanishes during the surgery and new injections are necessary. As I can’t feel the pain anymore, I fall asleep again, while the surgery goes on.

End of the day, I’m really tired but it’s finished. Verdict: 4300 additional grafts today !

I’m heading to the hotel that Dr Muresanu booked for me and try to sleep. Before I leave the clinic, I get a few lidocaine injections so I can sleep.

Second night :

I fall asleep without pain. Around midnight however, I’m woken up by a pain in the back of the head, which intensify. I’m trying to find a position comfortable enough to be able to sleep, but it’s impossible. I’m taking the Tramadol. No effect at all. I’m taking the rest of the paracetamol but it’s useless.

I’ll hesitate for a few minutes, but, a bit before 1am, I’m calling Dr Muresanu. He suggests meeting at the clinic in a few minutes. 20 minutes later we are at the clinic and I get new injections to help me sleep. This time I get Bupivacaine, which is supposed to last longer.

I’m going back to the hotel and get back to bed and fall asleep. A while later the discomfort slowly starts to reappear, it is better then the night before but still not a great night.

Third day :

No surgery today, but the scars will be cleaned today. Dr.Muresanu asked if I want to do new injections, which I’m very glad to do. A few moments later I’m free from pain again. Dr. Muresanu comments that I am one of very few, extremely rare patients that seems to metabolise anesthetics very fast.

Both donor and recipient areas are cleaned up thoroughly. Dr Muresanu suggests to use paracetamol + ibuprofen simultaneously, and gives me bromazepam to sleep at night.

I have a big oedema that starts to appear, which will go away after 4 days.

I’m having a walk in the city before leaving, the pain slowly reappears but the walk helps focusing on something else. As I go back home by train, the pain starts to vanish gradually, and won’t come back.

The next 2 nights will be difficult, mostly discomfort because of the sleeping position (on the back). It will then only get better and better.

Wrap-up :

Haircount: FUT
Grafts: Hairs:
1. 895 895
2. 3583 7166
3. 3142 9426
4. 523 2092
Total: 8143 19579
Rate 2,40

What I liked particularly :

- As soon as we arrive, we are taken care of in a personalized manner. We have the impression that the whole staff is taking care only of us on that day (they only do one case per day, or over 2 days) and is there for you.
- Dr Muresanu consistently makes the extra mile to provide the best service and find solutions if something doesn’t work as desired.
- I could call Dr Muresanu in the middle of the night and got lidocaine injections at 1:30am to relieve the pain !
- The steady follow-up allowed to ensure everything works as expected

In summary, a very experienced medical team, and high-level service. You really feel considered.
If someday I need to do another hair transplant, I won’t look further.
I always heard very good things about Hattingen and I wasn’t disappointed at all.

The pictures :

Pre-op
DSC_3203.JPG

DSC_3191_0.JPG

DSC_3201.JPG

1st day post-op

DSC_3222.JPG

3 days post-op

3j.jpg

6 days post-op (after removal of the scabs)

6j_cr.jpg

3 weeks post-op (starting to going back to initial situation :confused:)

3s.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Janosch, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience. Hattingen Hair have an excellent reputation for big FUT procedures and neat donor scars. You got a lot of grafts that are going to totally transform your appearance.
The work looks very good and you look as though you have healed well.
I`m like you, I have a fast metabolism which quickly processes the anesthetic. For some like yourself, this can cause pain and discomfort in the first few days. It is good to hear that Dr Sever met you at 1.30am, that is what you call patient care.
I`ll look forward to seeing your progress.
All the best.
Bm.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
I can`t wait to see how this transforms you. I think it will turn out fab.

J

janosch

Hey guys,

Little M+4 update:

Nothing relevant to see really. I'm still waiting for the new hair to come out, I see little black spots but I hope it's going to grow soon, it looks like it's still "asleep"...

I went to the hairdresser today, and she tried not to cut my hair too short, but we still can see the scar in direct light. In normal light it's not noticeable though.

On the top of the head I still have more hair than before though (I used to have alost nothing anymore before the surgery)

image1601405248803~3.png

IMG_20200929_204219.jpg

IMG_20200929_204316.png

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jason, I`d have to say you definitely have had growth comparing this update to your pre op pictures. It looks very good for 4 months.
You can make out the indent line in your hair where your donor closure is but you`ll more than likely have more hair growth through the scar helping to conceal and blend in.
Thanks for the update.

F

Forelock

Wow, what an amazing surgery you've had. Your donor looks awesome, imagine if 8100 graft were extracted by FUE, it would be wiped out like a moth eaten piece of cloth. The 15 years you hid your loss will be in your favor now. With your loss being gradual over this time have you a hair loss prevention regimen in place?

bullitnut

bullitnut

I agree with Bigmac, you do look to have achieved some early growth dude as your hair looks much better already than the preoperative stage......cant wait to see this in another 3 months or so I bet it's going to be incredible. The scar should improve too as BM states so I wouldnt focus on that too much dude.

Thanks for the update.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Yes their is definitely growth their and very even and uniform which is excellent , this should be a awesome result all the very best

J

janosch

Wow, what an amazing surgery you've had. Your donor looks awesome, imagine if 8100 graft were extracted by FUE, it would be wiped out like a moth eaten piece of cloth. The 15 years you hid your loss will be in your favor now. With your loss being gradual over this time have you a hair loss prevention regimen in place?

Hi Forelock
By hair loss prevention regime, you mean Finasteride? No I don't. I must say I'm not very comfortable taking a medication that blocks the production of an hormone.

F

Forelock

Yes it has the potential to mess your body up for sure. Do you think your hair loss has stabilized?

J

janosch

I'm not sure it's stabilized. I know it's been accelerating since 2-3 years until the result you see on pre-op pictures.
I guess it's going to go direction Norwood 7 unfortunately.
But I don't know what to do against it apart of finasteride.

J

janosch

Hey everyone!
M+5 update :

The hair gets thicker. I can't notice any additional growth since last update, but the hair is clearly getting thicker.
The top of the head starts to be covered, whereas the vertex zone is a bit slower to grow. To be honest I'm not quite sure until which depth they've been. The vertex wasn't the highest priority anyway; I'm sure that it might be covered anyway with the according hair length.

Anyway! I'm not bald anymore! :) I'm now waiting for the hair to get some volume.

The scar is barely noticeable, and I'm sure it will be invisible after the next fresh haircut.

image1603532175002~2.png

IMG_20201024_112831.png

IMG_20201024_113246.png

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Friend

That is coming in very nicely now really take shape , just sit back now bud its only only going to get better and better , the vertex normally lags behind so do not worry to much on that. Looking forward to your next update all the best

bullitnut

bullitnut

It`s getting better with every update. Your donor looks untouched.

MrPierre

MrPierre

This will be an excellent result. Keep us updated please !

J

janosch

Hi everyone!
Quick M+6 update

(Sorry for the pictures but I wasn't able to take clear ones)

I'm taking Finasteride since a couple of weeks now.
The hair is growing, but I don't think I should expect much more regrowth from now on, it looks pretty much like M+5. However, I feel a little bit everywhere on my scalp some very short hair, as if I just had shaved:

InkedIMG-20201121-WA0013_0LI.jpg

Are these future hair, or just broken ones? Anyhow, there are few of these, it might not considerably change the result.

Regarding the midscalp, I'm satisfied, I didn't have much left anyway. From that point of view, I don't have a complex anymore, an it's already a win.
However, it looks like the hair is grouping into "tufts", giving the illusion that some areas are well covered, while others aren't.

As for the vertex, there is no regrowth yet. The back of the head is a quite thinning area.

In general, I think the density isn't crazy for 8000+ grafts. I saw it from the beginning though, the grafts were transplanted kind of spaced (if I compare to some other cases here), but even if I wasn't expecting a miracle, I had hoped for a better result. Maybe my expectations were quite unrealistic.

Anyway, I'm still waiting -still have at least 6 months to go-, an improvement is always possible!

image1606575201216.png

IMG_20201128_154901.png

IMG_20201128_154945.png

Attachments

• InkedIMG-20201121-WA0013_0LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-20201121-WA0013_0LI.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 192
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Janosch.
The short hairs are most probably new growth. You have some decent growth so far for 6 months. Some peoples growth only starts around this time.
Also, you can have bursts of growth where one month you get a lot, then very little for a month or two, then another burst.

Try not to worry, more growth will come. Vertex/crowns usually take longer for the grafts to grow. It’s also very common for the hair to grow in at different ratios. One side or area may grown quicker or denser than another.

I think it looks very good so far and I’d say you will be happy once you reach the 12 month mark.

J

janosch

Hey guys,

very quick update at M+9 - It's just a pre-op / M+9 picture to show the evolution. It's pretty cool except the vertex which is still the same as pre-op, let's hope it's going to grow soon.

I'll do a more detailed update at M+12.

M+9.png

IMG_20210225_153830.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jasonsch. It`s looking great at 9 months. Your crown looks to have improved when comparing it to your pre op. Crowns can take longer to grow in compared to the frontal half. Hopefully, by month 12 everything will have caught up growth wise.
Thanks for the update.

E

Edsarn

Looking really good. I’ve had a four HTs and my hair continues to improve until month 18. It must take longer to mature than other folk. Your crown could continue improving for another 9 months or so.

Your must be really happy with your results.