• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Baldspot’s First HT with SMG

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Thought you guys might be interested to hear how I got on with my first HT on Monday (13 April 2009).

Well, in short, I`m absolutely delighted.

Like anyone who does this for the first time, it`s a bit nerve-racking which is why you really need to do your research. This is never more apparent than when you`re sitting in the waiting area just before it all begins and the nerves set in. Thankfully I`d done my homework, met Dr Ron and Janna, seen examples of the work that SMG do so I knew I was ok.

Dr Ron and the SMG team were great and so friendly, a very, very professional organisation indeed with a top quality facility, immaculate surgery rooms, and state of the art kit.

They pay a lot of attention to your patient care and wellbeing and do everything they can to make you feel relaxed.

Had my consultation with Dr Ron and met Matt. Dr Ron took some photos and we talked about what he`d do. Then through to the surgery room, some pills, then they use the vibrating device to give you some injections then trim the hair at the back for the donor strip.

You then lie face down, few more injections (which you hardly feel) then they take the strip out. That`s all done in about half an hour and they suture you up.

For those of you who are worried that it might be painful don`t be, it honestly isn`t sore at all. I`ve had far worse sitting in a dentist`s chair.

Dr Ron then makes incisions for the hairs. I was getting work done in the front third and some in the crown. By the time the incisions were made it was lunchtime. A quick break for food and a coke then Dr Ron`s team started to place the grafts.

This took a few hours but is actually quite a relaxing process and is over before you know it and Dr Ron regularly checks it`s all going ok.

After a quick chat, about how to use the spray and meds you get, that`s you. Janna gave me a quick lift back to the hotel and the following day collected me to go back to SMG where they wash your hair and explain what you need to do post op to keep the area clean. Matt took a few pics and I was able to talk to some of the team and also met a few of the guys who were getting work done. All were very happy and had the same good experience I had.

I intend to write a much more detailed account of my first HT journey with Dr Ron and SMG but I`ve kept this post fairly short for the forum.

What I would say is that one of the key worries for me was being able to get this work done and yet be able to go back to my office job after a few weeks without it being obvious I`d been off for an HT.

Dr Ron listened to this, worked around the don`t shave me down limitation I put on him, and still produced what I feel will be a top result. I was never made to feel like I was being told what I`d get but that it was a collaboration - with SMG working with me to get the best result possible. Hopefully Janna will be able to post some pics and give the graft details at some point.

I will also try to record my progress with photos and videos - depending on how well they turn out.

Baldspot

Last edited by a moderator:
timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Baldspot...

Great to hear that eveything went well.... look forward to following your progress..

All the best

Tim

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Baldspot.

Glad everything went smoothly and you`re happy with your experience.

Looking forward to reading more about it and seeing your pictures.

Take care bm.

Peachy

Peachy

Baldspot, good for you, glad to hear all went to plan and I'll be looking forward to the updates. Like you I work in an office and it will be impossible to cover up, so I'll be watching your progress with interest. All the best Peachy

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Thanks guys. It's great to have it done. Growing the hair really long has helped no end to cover it - it's not a flattering look as the photos will show but I intend to cut it once everything's settled down.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Great to hear that it is done and everything went so well. I do remember those days of the unflattering hair but once it all grows out it is very much worth it all. Heal well and keep us posted.

NN

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Pleased that all went well, congrats. Nice write-up Z:B

Last edited:
north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
Glad it all went well, just the waiting game its hard but worth it in the long run :)

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Congrats Baldspot! Glad to hear all was smooth & I look forward to seeing your pics and following your progress.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hey Baldspot, :)

Here are your pre op and 1 day post op pictures.

Great seeing you again and our door is always open for questions or concerns. Speedy growth to you and keep in touch.

2657 Grafts/5523Hairs

Majority of graft went to the frontal 1/3rd. I believe approx 300-400 grafts went to the crown (will confirm with Dr. Ron on this).

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Slide8.jpg

Slide9.jpg

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Thanks for posting the photos Janna. Also thanks for all the support from the forum members - it's much appreciated.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Exceptional looking work once again. There is no doubt that with the length of your hair you will be able to return to work with no one having a clue what you went thru. I like the look of the hairline and with your native bridge and a scattering of grafts in the crown, you will definitely see a great cosmetic improvement.

With what you have had done you will have a much stronger hairline which will give you more styling options. Best of luck with the healing process.

NN

the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
Hey Baldspot---your going to look great after that HT grows in--- you have a great deal of hair left in the bridge and your laterals are still strong---I am looking forward to seeing your results, for sure.

I know we get caught up with HT graft numbers, but HT's like yours where we work around existing hair and enhance the native hair to add density are just as tremendous.

In 9-10 months, people are going to start asking you if you lost weight, diet, exercise something!!!!

Thanks for sharing your pics!!!!
Jason

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Hi Ozzy,
How's it with you in the land of milk and honey? How's the HT planning? Going well I hope.

Thanks NN. My hair was so bad before. Be under no doubts I knew how crap it looked but something stubborn in me just said 'nah I ain't gonna shave down' but there were times... Early days and all that but very happy so far.

Hey B spot - I'm SO hoping you're right. My hair definitely ain't perfect. I've seen photos of guys with great donor supply and mine is average at best. That said it drys with a lot of volume and has bit of a curl which can help. I mentioned the pro's of getting a HT (with my hair) to my close family and was met with a glazed look - that's already changed with them just seeing the post op results. I'll definitely let you know if I get the 'you're looking a lot better' comments... as long as they come from hot women that is.. LOL Thanks for the post.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
looks great my man im over the moon for you the work looks superb and will be a great result, your great experience echoed mine, you can relax dude the jobs done, now for the hard part lol the waiting hahah.

sorry about the delayed congrats bs im currently on vacation with limited pc access,

best wishes bullit ¬b`

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Baldspot wrote:
I'll definitely let you know if I get the 'you're looking a lot better' comments... as long as they come from hot women that is..

You're certain they have to come from hot women???? Cuz I can hook you up with a poster named timbo whose got a thing for good looking head of hair. He keeps saying he's not a homosexual but........

I see these >C>:: in my future - gulp (guess this will be the last time he informs me he'll be out of town busy with work so he won't be online - maybe he won't notice this thread again)

Last edited:
N

NW5a

Valued member
Hi Baldspot,

looks great ! Do u take any medics to hold your native hair ?

@Janna: how many grafts did he get in the crown? it looks not like 400 grafts ... :)

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Really, how many does it look to you?

I was going by memory what I thought Doc said during his surgery but it does look like more than 400 so I've posed the question to Baldspot to see if he recalls what the distribution of grafts were.

Peachy

Peachy

Baldspot, looking awesome mate, you are going to be one very happy man indeed. :) When we met in London you were seated and I didn't even notice your crown. The cover up worked for me so maybe this is the way to go. I also like the position of the hairline as IMO you have been sensible and not gone too low. I think this leaves you with room to manoeuvre should you want to go for a second swipe, do you have much donor left in the bank? Have you got any photos of the closure? Sorry mate loads of questions I know. Keep us posted and heal well. Cheers Peachy