• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Beard hair - how much of an uncertainty?

fanto

fanto

Hi - in truth, not quite a new thread as I posted some of this as part of my "belgian Docs thread" but as anxious to get the forums advice/opinion so hope no one minds.
My consult with Dr Mwamba resulted in the following

PLAN/COMMENTS

The doctor observed the following:

Red hair before  turn to white now

Goal: Increase density from front to back.
Plan:
1. Poor Donor density with open donor scars+ linear scars from FUT
2. White hairs €“ white skin  Less contrast. Very favorable for the patient.
3. Surface to treat by order of priority
Central part (55 cm2)to graft at 15-20 FU/cm2
Crescent moon (25 cm2) to graft at 15-20 FU/cm2
Frontal Zone (20 cm2)
Top R-L (16cm2)
Frontal Zone + Top R-L : to graft at 10 FU/cm2
Vertex R: 28 cm2

Range total: 2000 to 2500 grafts
Procedure recommended: Combo Strip (600-1000)+FIT(600-1000) shaven+BHT(remaining with beard hair)

sounds good and the answer to all my problems but this little pointer in the disclaimer concerns me: -

Note: graft extracted with FIT and/or STRIP (FUT) will produce expected results (90-100%) within a year of insertion.

Body Fit is a relatively new procedure with many unknowns, therefore at this time we do not guarantee the results.
Hmmmmmmm.

What do the team think of beard hair?

(I'm thinking of emigrating to New Zealand shortly after the procedure - what a nightmare to have the whole thing fail on me well, anytime really but especially on the other side of the world)

Thank u all.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
There are no guarantees in anything. All you can do is look at a doctor €™s work on a grand scale. How are the patients treated and what do they have to say about the clinic. If you have not already done so I would ask this question directly to the clinic and then evaluate the response.

If this causes you concern than you have no choice but to have a small beard hair session performed for evaluation. The onus falls partly on the patient to be just as responsible as the clinic. But since it €™s already a concern it €™s not even debatable.

fanto

fanto

Thanks TC. Yes, certainly doing lotsa research on this - trying to ascertain exactly how long the technique has been in practice? Who else performs the technique and attempting to talk to previous recipients (esp Dr Mwambas')
Of course, as u pointed out, there are no real guarantees but unless I make myself heard on the forum, I'm unlikely to receive info/experiences etc from other members. Thanks for taking an interest.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
The point of my response was not meant to be rude but merely to suggest that there really is only one answer to the question in my opinion. Your concern is normal and the only proper way to address it in my opinion is to only have a test procedure regardless of if this requires more time to reach your final objective.

Being concerned is a good thing and you should use it for what it is, an indicator to proceed slowly. You can always find someone or something to convince you otherwise if you look hard enough. Plenty of clinics out there will tell you exactly the words you would like to hear. Don €™t worry about anything. Hop into the chair and we will give you the super mega procedure.

Go with your gut instinct and good luck to you. Hope you keep everyone updated on your progress when and if you decide to move forward.

fanto

fanto

Thanks again, TC, appreciated. No worries, I can see you weren't being rude.
I view the forum as a help line for those needing to know more and it can take a bit of courage to voice your questions, uncertainties and sometimes naiveties in order to do this. I've read a lot on here and in other forums and there is definitely a wealth of nervous, naive guys out there and tho I can understand more experienced members getting a bit fed up with the same )to them ) obvious Qs being asked, I still don't believe it's helpful to not try and answer without just resorting to "do sum bleedin' research!" - I havnt really experienced this response and certainly, guys like yourself have been very kind and to the point but I have read it elsewhere. I'd guess for a lot of folks, expressing those concerns IS the start of research.
Thanks again - what u stated makes perfect sense. F

fanto

fanto

Back on course - Can I ask the forum.
Has anyone here had an HT from Dr Mwamba?
Did it involve Beard hair or similar?
What is the forum's view on Beard hair? It's a relatively new procedure? Anyone know of a recipient from a while back and how they're doing now?
Any thing relevant to the above would be greatly appreciated.
I also have an appt coming up in early september with Dr J Devroye - just a consult. Ive been researching him and his work - but again, any 1st hand experiences...?
Thank u all.}:BY:>?

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Fanto, you can take a look at my thread if you have not already €œfollow my major repair €. I have recently updated it with pictures of the beard donor area. I had approximately 500 fue extracted from a fairly small area around chin.

In my opinion beard hair that is fairly close in coarseness to head hair seems to blend in very well. Especially when used with scalp hair if available. What looks terrible is my opinion is when the beard hair is so coarse compared to the scalp hair that it just stands out like a sore thumb. Most reputable clinics will simply tell you it €™s not a good idea if that find this to be true.

Other than that you should be concerned with punch size. What size punch will the clinic be using to extract those beard hairs?

fanto

fanto

Blimey, TC. I didnt realise that i was chatting to the converted so to speak :) That's very interesting news - I will definitely check out your blog/thread later and get back to you - sounds like it worked out for you. Cool.

R

royroy

Valued member
Fanto, Your getting to a point were quite a few people have had beard fues done. I mean it is still a relatively new concept but several Surgeons have been doing them for years now so I think you have a database of opinions out there if you do your homework. You can look at my post on this website but from what I have seen I personally am one of the only people that has had real complications. Fortunately I am the exeption not the rule most people that have relayed there experiences on the internet have had really positive results. Based on my personal experience (which may be skewed since I have had so many problems)I would make two observations

1) If at all posible the prudent approach with the beard fues would be to do an initial session of a relatively small number (200 or less?) all below the chin line. Let these heal and make sure you are comfortable with the way they heal before you do big numbers. Like I said this isn't always possible. I didnt do this my self because I didnt want to fly all the way to Brussels to do such a small session so I rolled the dice and did 800 fues.

2) Be aware that the beard hair is probably going to keep beard hair characteristis on your scalp. I see people debate this on forums with half saying the beard fues will change and resemble your surrounding scalp hair and some saying it doesn't. In my case the beard fues grow exactly as beard hairs. Much thicker and much more "kinky" then my scalp hair. Mind you I am not complaining, I am extrememly happy to have this "filler" hair helping to cover old strip scars. If you feel as I do and any hair is good hair- proceed. However there are some that may feel that this would cause cosmetic problems. I certainly wouldnt use beard hair for anything other then scar repair type work, just my opinion. Anyhow good luck to you on what ever course you chose.

Last edited:
fanto

fanto

Thanks, folks & Good day to u all. I'm posting this twice in 2 threads i'm involved in - hope that's ok.
Cheers Tc & Roy Roy. Got a chance to chat to Dr Mwamba's people about BHT and chatting to a former patient later today.
I have made arrangements to go to Belgium and have arranged 1st consultations with Dr Devroye and Dr Bisanga and although he is 75 Kms away from Brussels, Dr Feriduni (because Ive read many good things) and finally, a 2nd consult with Dr Mwamba - whom I just have a positive feeling about. Ive been told he's more expensive than the others (been quoted £8000 GBP) But as this is the big repair and likely the final HT, cost cant come in to it too much. I'm using Dr mwamba's plan for me as the basis for what I want - more density
Goal: Increase density from front to back.
Plan:
1. Poor Donor density with open donor scars+ linear scars from FUT
2. White hairs €“ white skin  Less contrast. Very favorable for the patient.
3. Surface to treat by order of priority
Central part (55 cm2)to graft at 15-20 FU/cm2
Crescent moon (25 cm2) to graft at 15-20 FU/cm2
Frontal Zone (20 cm2)
Top R-L (16cm2)
Frontal Zone + Top R-L : to graft at 10 FU/cm2
Vertex R: 28 cm2

Range total: 2000 to 2500 grafts
Procedure recommended: Combo Strip (600-1000)+FIT(600-1000) shaven+BHT(remaining with beard hair)
I'm interested in any one who has been to any of these Docs, any experience good or not so.
And....I have compiled a list of Qs to ask but if there is anything u guys think is essential, please feel free to inform me. I'd be grateful for your contributions.
Thanx in advance.
F

fanto

fanto

Hi to anyone reading this - and thanks especially to all who made comments on the thread - appreciated.
Here's my update.
My head is off to Belgium next week to see Dr Mwamba for a 2nd consult and to consult with Drs Bisanga, Feriduni and Devroye for a 1st consult. Having talked with Dr Wong earlier in the year also, I'm confident that I can be repaired ok - altho lacking in donor, both Drs Wong and Mwamba advocated some strip work. Altho' the concept of BHT opens up a new possibility.

Here's a rundown on my info about the Docs.
Both Mwamba & Bisanga trained with Dr Cole in the US who is highly respected but there have been some postings in the past about certain ethical issues. Cole stated in an old post from 2008 that Dr Mwamba worked with him for sometime after Bisanga left to go on his own and as a result, Dr Mwamba was exposed to even newer techniques and is possibly more skilled there - however, he did also say that Bisanga's strip work is potentially better. I have read postings from some clients who have criticised Bisanga for alleged unwillingness to sort out disputes - but who knows.
Dr Devroye does not seem to be as raved about as much but posters have praised good, solid, aesthetic work and Feriduni ditto. I believe these two doctors do not use BHT. A former patient of Mwamba, who contacted me, tho we didnt meet up has warned of the highly skilled art of using beard hair falling into less skilful hands and he, being a veteran of many HTs before, he would only go to Dr Cole or Mwamba.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts & experiences.
Maybe I should get some pics up of my head so a clearer idea can be given.
Thanks all.
F

M

musclehair

Hi, im on the same track.

Im planning my second HT, combination of FUE and Beard HT due to lack of donnor.

I also did my search on different forums and I do believe that in Europe Bisanga has better experience than others with Beard hair. Anyhow Mwamba could be at same level or higher but i only saw one case of Beard HT in Mwamba published in this forum, by the way it was an amazing good case, but only one!. Probably it is just a matter of publicity and Bisanga has better comercial than his colleague. Something difficult to know.

In Usa Dr Cole or Dr Umar seem to be the masters, but again in this market is difficult to know how much is publicity and how much reality, even if you are an expert in assesing pics and videos.

If you want the path of Strip, is a different story, although Dr Bisanga has thousand of good cases with this technique either.

Firstly, i would decide if BHT-FUE or Strip, depending on your preferences, priorities and current personal situation. Once this decision is being made i would continue with the process and decide who is gonna be your Dr.

Your post is really valuable for us, please keep us updated. I will also start my post soon in order to help and give light to everyone interested, specially in this new road of Beard HT.

All the best with your fight.

fanto

fanto

Good day to you all, good people. I €™ve been away from the forum for the best part of a month - to the untrained eye, it looks like I €™ve been drinking wine and taking it easy - but in reality, I €™ve been thinking all things HT.
I visited Brussels, Belgium last month. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I did not visit Dr Feriduni but had 1st consults with Drs Bisanga and Devroye and, as I was €œin town €, a 2nd consult with Dr Mwamba as a follow up to my initial one with him in London in July.
All the Drs are really nice guys. I €™d read somewhere that a previous client had said that Dr Bisanga was a bit edgy and impatient. I found him to be a warm, witty and friendly man. His assistant, Stephen was also a good chap and very informative. Stephen was also displaying some top notch work on his own head - a crewcut HT - very impressive - as done by Dr Bisanga himself. I enjoyed the consult, they were both honest, professional and complimentary about my present appearance and told me exactly what could be achieved. I left feeling very positive.
Dr Devroye is a very cool brother - there €™s a touch of Jean Claude Van Damme about him - i kid you not:) Again, very approachable, straight talking and professional.
Dr Mwamba was how I remembered - very smiley, with a peaceful aura about him and again: thorough and professional. He uses a sort of camera stylus pen on your head and allows density to be monitored on a laptop. However, anyone visiting his premises should beware the clear glass wall that awaits you when you leave the bathroom - I walked into it full on and was still feeling slightly concussed whilst speaking to his aide, Clara, 20 minutes later.
It would make decision making much easier if one of them had been unpleasant or negative in some way but this was not the case. I €™m sounding like I €™m making light of this but the actuality is that getting a final (repair) HT is a MAJOR decision for me and I €™ve been thinking about not much else over the last 22 days - and it €™s time to make that Decision.
Both Drs Bisanga and Mwamba plan on approx 2500 grafts via a combination of strip, FUE and BHT. Whereas Dr Devroye only offered 1500 via FUE alone which is why I €™ve ruled him out on this occasion.
Dr Bisanga planned 2xstrips from my €œvirgin scalp € area above the ears of approx 1300.
The rest made up from FUE from the same area and from the depleted donor area at the back and around 500 BHT.
Dr Mwamba initially wanted to take a moderate strip from the depleted donor area of approx 600, 500 BHT and the remainder from FUE. During the 2nd consult with him, I expressed some concern about taking anymore strip from this ravaged area as something Dr Devroye had said to me apropos his reluctance to perform strip in that area as it could possibly affect neck mobility. Dr Mwamba said he would take the strips from the same new area that Dr Bisanga would take them from.
Dr Bisanga estimated one day in the chair with resultant stitching having to be removed via a medical professional back in England approx a week post surgery (if I €™m honest - slightly bothers me as I don €™t really wish to involve anyone else). Dr Mwamba says that his procedure would take 3 days in the chair. I intend to take a fortnight off post surgery.

Anyway. Time to make an appointment & get it done. Anything that you good folks want to add, comment upon, swing my decision or anything at all - please feel free to do so( the sooner the better please)
Its a journey - I feel privileged to have met Drs Bisanga, Mwamba, Devroye and Wong and look forward to the end result wherever I end up.
Thanks for listening.
€œFanto €