• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Body hair and scarring..

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
If anyone has had beard hair used during a transplant, how is your scarring and do you have pics?When could you start shaving again and how long did it take for the visble redness to go?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi Zionaxel
I've had 600 from my beard. I shaved totally to the bone after 3 weeks but could have done so sooner.

The beard area heals faster then the scalp and extraction points vanished very quickly. I have no scarring whatsoever and have met guys in the flesh who have looked all over me to find one.

Stephenl

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
Thanks for the reply,you say it could of been sooner?Due to my job i cant really be to un-shaven without looking like a scruffy git.These are all concerns that i have,things like getting back to work as soon as possible without looking like any work has been done at all.When did it actually look ok,how many days exactly?

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
That's really good to hear about the beard hair and no scarring. Although I don't really have a heavy beard, I am hoping to try it on my visit to BHR. Stephen, have you tried body hair and if so, what were the results in regards to growth and scarring?

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I've met Steve a few times and had no idea at the time that he had, had 600 grafts taken from his beard, he has no scarring at all.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I would give kudos to Dr Bisanga on this, as Steve also has no scarring in his donor area on his head either and this is after 7000 fue.

H

hairtech

Topcat... You went to GHI. How did this work out for you?

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Hairtech, I decided not to go to GHI. I have not been able to make a decision about going in for any type of repair work for about 10 years. All I have really done is researched and consulted. I really didn't like most of what I have seen and heard.

I must say that Phil B at BHR has really put me at ease. BHR would have been my choice even without the pro bono offer. I like Dr. Bisanga's work from all the pictures that I have seen. He has the fue experience and they are performing body and beard hair.

I will be happy with just some improvement using any scalp donor that is available. If the body and beard hair test go well, then I would pursue a more complete repair.

For me personally it comes down to the honesty of the clinic. This is the deciding factor for me. I think that anyone considering a HT should at least make a point of talking to Phil B at BHR It doesn't cost much to pick up the phone and have that converstation. He is a straight shooter, and he is extremely knowledgeble. He gives you all the information both good and bad. It's up to you to make the decision.

I know it might sound like I'm doing a bit of marketing here, but really that's the way I feel about it. I will have to write more about this in my hair repair blog in the coming weeks.

W

wylie

Valued member
I wouldnt worry too much about not being able to shave, I could shave in less than a week. The extractions really start to heal quickly, being essentially healed at three days, but with redness. I suppose if you were really worried about it you could find something to put on your skin to help conceal the redness. I was cool being out and about after 5 or 6 days (w/out shaving though). My chest, however, did not heal nearly as fast as the beard areas. I also experienced some red pimples that eventually required some medication to make disappear. The beard healed much faster than the chest by a long shot

Beardday1.jpg

Beardday3.jpg

This is at three days.

Beard2weeks.jpg

Two Weeks.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wylie,thanks for sharing those pictures.

Can i ask where you had the beard and chest hairs planted,ie scar/crown.Also when you shave your beard are there any signs of the extractions.

Thanks bm.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Wylie, that first picture is kind of scary looking to me. But it really looks like it healed well. Do you know the size of the fue tool used or the beard extractions?

W

wylie

Valued member
I dont know the size of the FUE tool, but it left noticeable white dots on my chest. But there is something about beard hair, and the area it comes from, that heals extremely well. Most everyone who has had beard removed agrees on this. I had these grafts placed on the strip scars and they are growing. I cannot see any sign of the extractions from the beard area, but they exist, they just are not visible. It helps if you have a pale complexion like I do.

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
Hello Wylie are you pleased with the beard/chest hair results?How do you cover that up walking through a airport,anyone?

S

scarred5

Valued member
those pics represent what i had done, you know its no cake walk and not easy to get repaired but if one wants to improve their situation you have to take the steps required, as for going through the airport that can be quite stressful last time i went i put a bandana on under my hoodie, i plan on using beard with my upcoming probono work with bhr, it will be hard explaining to people why parts of my head are shaved but ill work it out no matter what, the end result is whats important, and how i get there is not, my 2 cents

W

wylie

Valued member
You really dont have much to worry about at the airport, you can see how it looked at three days, you can buy flesh colored cream if you want to further hide the extraction sites but I think if anyone thought anything they probably thought I was a cancer patient (and that would explain the hat/bandanna, too )

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Wylie, did they make you remove your hat and/or bandana at the airport? I guess it doesn't really matter becasue you can request a private screening if necessary. And like scarred says, it's only a few minutes of your life, I'm sure we will live through it.

W

wylie

Valued member
I've never been asked to remove my hat, and if you wear a bandanna, its even better, cause there is no way to hide anything in one. I dont exactly fit the profile of someone smuggling explosives in under his hat, and since I always wear a hat when flying anywhere, I'd say dont sweat it, cause never once has anyone asked me to remove mine

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
When you travel in Europe you always have to remove your hat,i cant say every European country you have to but i get to travel quite a few times per year and every single time i have to put the cap in the box and through the machine.
Its covering up your neck,how do you do that:)

W

wylie

Valued member
No need to cover your neck, like I said, it looked like I just underwent chemo, and am thinking that is what most people thought. Just grab some flesh colored creme you can put on your neck and you are good to go!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
wylie wrote:
I dont know the size of the FUE tool, but it left noticeable white dots on my chest.
Hi Wylie.

Do these dot scars bother you at all and has anyone ever commented on them.

Could you pass them off as Chicken pox scarring.

Thanks bm.