• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Botox is a cure for baldness

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
BALDING Brits may be offered a cure for their thinning thatches - injections of Botox.
The toxic chemicals are generally used to smooth out wrinkles, but scientists have found they can cause hair to regrow.

The treatment was discovered by accident by a US plastic surgeon. Dr Simon Ourian was trying to cure headaches suffered by his cancer-victim mum after chemotherapy.

After injecting Botox into her scalp, he was stunned to see her hair regrow.

Baldness is caused by the hair follicles shrinking, so no new ones are produced. But Botox dilates the blood vessels, which allows nutrients to the hair shaft and stimulates new growth.

Dr Ourian has tested on volunteers for three years at his Beverly Hills practice. The treatment needs repeated injections, but he saw a "dramatic" difference after one session.

He said: "I was happily surprised. As hair loss is a significant source of insecurity, there was no shortage of volunteers."

Botox is the medical name for botulinum toxin - a powerful natural poison. It was developed to stop eye muscle spasms but is commonly used as an anti-wrinkle treatment as it paralyses facial muscles

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2494776/Botox-is-a-cure-for-baldness.html

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
yeah i saw this on the news at teatime mmmm im a little skeptical though what are your thoughts guys*nl

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I doubt it would have a profound effect on a completely bald guy, looking at the info it seems to have the same effect as using rogaine. If he's been doing this for three years with amazing results i'm sure we would have heard about it by now.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe with it being in the experimental stages it was not made public until now.

We will have to wait and see.

There seems to be lots of things at the moment which help regrow hair.

Time will tell if they work or if they just fade away out of the publiic eye.

bm

H

Hairforever

Valued member
The Wimpole Clinic where I had previous hair transplants have recently started offering Botox to their patients for frown lines and crow's feet. My concern would be if they inject your forehead with what is essentially poison, might this not affect the growth of newly transplanted hair or even prevent them from growing at all. In other words, if a patient has just had a hair transplant would it be safe for them to have Botox soon after as far as the life of their newly transplanted hairs are concerned?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good question Hairforever.

I cant answer it but maybe a doctor who offers Botox may chime in.

bm.