• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Can a shampoo reduce DHT and if so what is the best brand to purchase?

R

Risingforehead

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good shampoo to use to slow hair loss and help make thinning hair look a little fuller? Found this on Amazon but how does a shampoo reduce DHT, i was under the impression DHT was a hormone?

d0904430-151a-11ea-bd7d-3f63d6d9147c.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion shampoo does not reduce DHT. There are many volumising shampoo's out there that will thicken the hair shaft.

B

Bandit

Do you think any hair loss shampoo helps Bigmac, or is it all just a gimic in your experience?

S

smokeybacon

I tried a one of these shampoos and nothing besides cleaning my hair. I think they make the claims because somewhere the ingredients in the shampoo have some loose connection to DHT etc and that´s how they get away with making the claims. Truth is probably there is no way a shampoo can reduce DHT in the head, I kicked myself for falling for the rubbish after.

S

SeanFUE

Nioxin is good. (System 1)
nizoral shampoo can assist.
Tea tree shampoos can also kill unknown fungus on scalp that may be detrimental to hair
Neutragena T scalp shamoo can help keep scalp healthy.

Alternate diff shampoos so your hair doesn’t get used to a shampoo

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think any hair loss shampoo helps Bigmac, or is it all just a gimic in your experience?
There is no scientific studies that show any shampoo will reduce DHT. Unlike topical medications that are left on your scalp to absorb in, shampoo is washed off.
SeanFUE points out that some are good for cleaning your scalp which is the main reason we use shampoo. Some will make your hair feel good, shiny, thicker, etc but it won`t grow your hair back.

S

SeanFUE

Yes, no shampoo i mentioned really grows new hairs. There really isn’t any that does so. Keep scalp healthy for thick grafts and prevent breakage. It may revive weaker hairs. At the same time, keeps funguses and other infections at bay by maintaining healthy scalp. Healthy scalp and blood flow is key.
Excessive sebum, blocked oily scalp, itchy scalp, folliculitus, ring worm, and etc can be prevented by smart shampoo regimens.