• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Can I get a Hair Transplant with Diffuse Thinning

W

Wheresmyhair

So guys I have diffuse thinning. I cannot use finasteride or minoxidil because of dizziness and headaches. My hair loss is still slowly active but without using the approved medicines I can`t stop it. I do have a good donor area and the sides have not thinned from what I can see. Because my hair loss is only located on the top of my head will it be ok to get the healthy donor hair placed there?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I believe most doctors will only perform a transplant if you have the diffuse thinning stabalised. Your best bet is to make an appointment with a HT doctor to have your situation assessed. Diffuse thinning patterns often progress to the higher Norwoods if untreated. This could deplete your donor area.
If you did go ahead with surgery the transplanted grafts may last but there's a risk they won't.
You could look into Saw Palmetto. Some people say it has helped them or maybe PRP.
How long have you been thinning and what stage would you say you're at?

W

Wheresmyhair

Thanks for replying. Probably about a 3 or 4 on the norwood chart which stated to thin round about 4 years ago. I was thinking of going to Dr Sethi if he thinks it's ok to have one. I think my donor hair will be strong enough but if I get say 10 years out of it I'd be happy and could get another if I have enough in reserve. I was reading that Saw Palmetto can have side effects similar to Finasteride but I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. PRP looks expensive for the course of treatments and not that many successful patients saying it worked. I'll give it some thought.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Send your pictures to them and see what he thinks.
Good luck with the Saw Palmetto.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
So guys I have diffuse thinning. I cannot use finasteride or minoxidil because of dizziness and headaches. My hair loss is still slowly active but without using the approved medicines I can`t stop it. I do have a good donor area and the sides have not thinned from what I can see. Because my hair loss is only located on the top of my head will it be ok to get the healthy donor hair placed there?

How long was it before you started to feel these symptoms did they go away after you stopped them?

W

Wheresmyhair

I tried both of them on and off for 12 months switching around the dosage to 1mg every other day to 1/2mg with no luck. Because of my work It’s unsafe to have a dizzy spell. Minoxidil gave me throbbing headaches every other day which was not a good thing to happen.
I am in the small percentage who don’t react well to them. I’d say after 7 days of stopping I was clear of the symptoms.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear your sides went away after a week.
Hopefully, you can find something that works for you.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I tried both of them on and off for 12 months switching around the dosage to 1mg every other day to 1/2mg with no luck. Because of my work It’s unsafe to have a dizzy spell. Minoxidil gave me throbbing headaches every other day which was not a good thing to happen.
I am in the small percentage who don’t react well to them. I’d say after 7 days of stopping I was clear of the symptoms.

(y)

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
Your age and donor area will obviously be a significant influence moving forward, but in general, considering surgery having experienced diffuse pattern loss, whilst not taking medication will in most cases presents a risk.
The most sensible and safe first step would be to look to schedule an in-person consultation with a quality surgeon. Selecting one with a reputation of high ethics is important to ensure that they are looking out for you both in the short and long term.
Whilst you may feel that having a result for 10 years would make the process worthwhile, in reality that is not always the case.
I wish you the very best.

W

Wheresmyhair

Your age and donor area will obviously be a significant influence moving forward, but in general, considering surgery having experienced diffuse pattern loss, whilst not taking medication will in most cases presents a risk.
The most sensible and safe first step would be to look to schedule an in-person consultation with a quality surgeon. Selecting one with a reputation of high ethics is important to ensure that they are looking out for you both in the short and long term.
Whilst you may feel that having a result for 10 years would make the process worthwhile, in reality that is not always the case.
I wish you the very best.

I recognise it may not last as long as i`d like but me thinking if I could have 10 years of happiness now would it be worth it. I`m 29 right now. I`ve ordered Saw Palmetto and Biotin to see if it makes any improvement. I`m undecided on clinics right now although Dr Sethi was one I have considered but no consultation yet.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience if your hair loss bothers you now at 29 it will still bother you at 39. If you do opt for one without meds make sure the clinic plan for future loss and plant the grafts accordingly.

W

Wheresmyhair

I see your point Bm but who knows what lies ahead. I'd be much happier with more hair right now.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Ultimately the decision is yours and whatever a doctor recommends.
Best of luck with it.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
See what a couple of clinics suggest and take it from there. You`re aware of the risks involved which leaves it down to you.

W

Wheresmyhair

I decide to place any plans on hold with all the Covid restrictions on travel and the uncertainty of what`s going to happen next. For now, i`ll keep taking Saw Palmetto and Biotin. I haven`t seen any difference in my hair quality or growth but i`m not seeing excessive shedding either.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully, your hair loss stabilises which will put you in a better position on how to proceed. You may decide a shorter hair cut is ok and no transplant is required. Lockdown may give you the opportunity to try a different style.
Good luck with it.

W

Wheresmyhair

Quick update to keep everyone in the loop. I think the overall health of my hair is improving. It seems to be growing quicker and i can't be sure yet but it looks to be filling in a bit or it's the hair increasing in volume.