• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Can I have a hair transplant without using Finasteride or Minoxidil?

Baldingman

Baldingman

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I know it has probably been asked numerous times, but I m wondering if it would be wise to go ahead with a hair transplant without the use of Finasteride or Minoxidil? I know the benefits these medications can bring and the possible pitfalls of not using them, but I have lived my life not taking any form of medication unless it was beneficial to my health and well being.
I started to lose my hair in my late 20’s progressing to where I am today. I think I m at the Norwood 3 and a half stage. My donor hair at the back and sides are really thick, I d say I have enough grafts to achieve a decent coverage and density.
I am thinking if I plan it well I could save some donor grafts for a second surgery if needed.
Are there any studies showing the success or failure rates of having a hair transplant without the use of hair loss medications?

Shapiro Medical Group

Shapiro Medical Group

Valued member
Hi Baldingman,
Your question isn't stupid at all but actually somewhat complicated to answer. The short answer is, yes, you can have a hair transplant but you'll need to go into it with the thought that you will need more surgeries in the future. As long as you're realistic about the result you are able to achieve from hair restoration surgeries and your physician has a good plan taking further loss in your future, you can go the surgery route. Are you able to provide any pictures of your current hair loss? How old are you?

Baldingman

Baldingman

Thank you Shapiro Medical Group. I am uploading a picture of where I am now, maybe my Norwood 3 and a half classification was off a little and needs upping by another Norwood level, it`s hard to tell when comparing with the chart.
I think my expectations are realistic if I go for full coverage with the hairline being somewhat denser. I could have the sides and back thinned out to give a uniform match.

Attachments

• 0AC0A9B4-CC05-48B2-979A-FE556FDFDFA2.jpeg
    0AC0A9B4-CC05-48B2-979A-FE556FDFDFA2.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 260
Baldingman

Baldingman

What Norwood level do you think I am?

Attachments

• A63D7F8C-56AC-4E89-A2B6-865806669188.jpeg
    A63D7F8C-56AC-4E89-A2B6-865806669188.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 260
Felixe

Felixe

valued member
I`m no expert so I'm only guessing you`re between a Norwood scale 4 - 5 when comparing to the charts.

I have noticed the charts differ slightly making it tricky to get an exact match.

8322_261138_510000001.jpg

Last edited:
Baldingman

Baldingman

Felix, I believe you're bang on with your assessment on my balding. I`ve found quite a few guys online who chose surgery without using any form of hair loss medications, the majority are happy with a small number claiming their loss continued which affected the end result. I have some thinking to do on my part, do I or don`t I do it.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I think you will be fine going ahead without meds, at this stage if you are 100% getting an ht, your loss from now on will be minimal. I use fin but I'm not a very advanced nw at the moment.

Baldingman

Baldingman

Sparky, thanks for your thoughts. Do you think I have adequate donor to achieve a good result?

8372_301133_540000000.jpg

Last edited:
JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
Unfortunately, you're a NW6 Diffused. You have hair, but it is very thin in the pattern of a NW6, so say hello to your future you.
To answer your question, yes, you can get a hair transplant with your degree of loss, but you have two things to consider.
1. You have to personally accept responsibility for the decision to move forward with surgery.
2. Any surgery performed must be conservative, both in the design of the placement as well as the numbers used.
Considering your current position and your future options, a hair mature hairline with moderate density will be half of the battle for you as you'll have a hairline and you'll have enough to style if you proceed properly. You'll also need multiple procedures if you want to keep any semblance of coverage as you age but it will never be thick in any single area, much less all over.

Felixe

Felixe

valued member
This is the confusing part comparing hair loss patterns to the chart. On the chart, a Norwood 6 looks completely bald on top with the sides and crown low down. The OP`s hair is still high up on the sides, plus the crown doesn`t look to have drooped down.

Baldingman

Baldingman

This is the confusing part comparing hair loss patterns to the chart. On the chart, a Norwood 6 looks completely bald on top with the sides and crown low down. The OP`s hair is still high up on the sides, plus the crown doesn`t look to have drooped down.

This is true, very confusing.

Baldingman

Baldingman

Unfortunately, you're a NW6 Diffused. You have hair, but it is very thin in the pattern of a NW6, so say hello to your future you.
To answer your question, yes, you can get a hair transplant with your degree of loss, but you have two things to consider.
1. You have to personally accept responsibility for the decision to move forward with surgery.
2. Any surgery performed must be conservative, both in the design of the placement as well as the numbers used.
Considering your current position and your future options, a hair mature hairline with moderate density will be half of the battle for you as you'll have a hairline and you'll have enough to style if you proceed properly. You'll also need multiple procedures if you want to keep any semblance of coverage as you age but it will never be thick in any single area, much less all over.

I apologise for responding so late. I lost access to my emails and passcodes which is finally sorted.
I think the approach you`re suggesting would suffice. If I can pull off the appearance of full coverage, although somewhat thinner I`d be happy. I don`t want or think I`d suit a bald head.

JohnB

JohnB

I personally think you don't need to use any drugs if you are getting the hair transplant surgery. Most of the clinics want you to because it improves results however, your body grows tolerance to it and also, you are committed to taking drugs for years. But this can be different for everyone, some people really stress about how they look and prefer to use everything they can find. I don't think it is very healthy psychology because all the effort and money you invest is good for some time and after, it is wasted. That's why I think it is essential to find the ideal doctor and plan for the next ten years together.

Felixe

Felixe

valued member
If you don`t take anything to prevent your hair loss progressing you will most likely end up complaining, saying your hair transplant never worked. Propecia is the most effective thing at this moment in time and has been for the last 20 years but it does come with the possible risk of side effects. Then you have Minoxidil or Rogaine foam which work very well.

Baldingman

Baldingman

This is the scenario I face. Do I go ahead without meds knowing the risks involved?

Baldingman

Baldingman

No, only the information supplied here. I suppose that is the next step I need to proceed with.

Baldingman

Baldingman

That is true. I’ll most likely arrange an initial appointment to have the donor zone assessed for miniaturisation. This could be a likely indicator where I’m heading with my hair loss pattern.

JohnB

JohnB

I think you should talk to a few clinics to see what they think. Some make you use it if you choose them, some others leave it to you. I hope you can find what you are looking for