• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Cancel Scheduled HT?

J

Jim1973

I can't tell if I'm simply beginning to lose hair at a rapid pace or shedding. I started, what I thought was a shed Summer of '21 and its been continuous through 2022 and is getting worse. In my attempt to stop the hair loss progression, I started taking Dutasteride twice/week along with Finasteride the other 5 days and am using 2% Ketoconazole shampoo. In addition, along with taking DHT and probiotic pills from Nutrafol, I also began taking oral Minoxidil (1.25mg) because the topical seemed to make my head really itchy over the years. However, nothing seems to be changing for the better and more and I see more hair fall with each passing day. I have a HT scheduled for April of 2023, which I was excited for, but if I can't seem to get my existing hair to stop falling out, should I simply cancel the HT and succumb to the inevitable of going bald? I honestly don't know what else to do. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

loui

loui

Valued member
How old are you?

If you losing hair rapidly, theres not good to go for a hair transplant, that is correct. You need to try to stabilize the loss before you do the transplant.

For how long have you been on Dut, Fin and Oral Minoxidil? Is it advised by a Dr to take both Dut and Fin together?

J

Jim1973

How old are you?

If you losing hair rapidly, theres not good to go for a hair transplant, that is correct. You need to try to stabilize the loss before you do the transplant.

For how long have you been on Dut, Fin and Oral Minoxidil? Is it advised by a Dr to take both Dut and Fin together?
I'm 49. I've been taking topical MIN and oral FIN for over 10 years. I never really grew any new hair but did maintain the hair I had pretty well. Its just now starting to fall again. The DUT every 3 days along with FIN on other days was not my doctor's recommendation. I have seen various threads where others have tried something similar and had good results so thought I'd give it a shot also. Desperately trying to find something to hold onto the hair I have. I've only been taking the oral MIN for about 45 days. I'm taking 1.25mg of that daily.

S

SimBa

At 49 I would be surprised if you suddenly get hair loss to the extent of going bald, as this usually takes many years. As for a HT they may not be right for you as they usually apply for people with very gradual hair loss and aren't a one size fits all procedure.

If you've started losing hair at 49 you either didn't notice it before, are a late starter if its gradual MPB or could have a health condition causing it. I would consult your GP.

J

Jim1973

I actually started losing hair at 18 and have been a norwood 4 since mid-20's. I was able to somehow maintain what I had for a very long time. I was hoping to just ride out the NW4 through my years but its picked up steam again. This is me now and if I had taken a picture 15ish years ago it would have looked the same. The front had receded since 18 but the top was always thick. Now the top is thinning and falling out fast.

Top (45 degree angle).jpg

S

SimBa

Sorry Jim, I missed out telling parts of your post about hair loss duration

I would consult your GP to rule out any underlying health issue and re a HT it looks like you could get away with lowering your hairline, though be prepared there s a good chance you may get density you are less than thrilled about, which can be managed.