• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

confused as to what to take

M

m7_kas

hey guys

some of you may have read my thread but i have now decided to give medication a go before a Ht is my last option

i went to see my GP and he took no interest in my hair loss and just said it was genetic, now i have no idea as to what to take and apart from using the rogaine foam

i know there is a number of meds, proscar, propecia, finasteride etc but what do i use??

i am 18 so hope the meds dont cause my any harm but right now my hair loss is really causing big issues and i want to tackle it asap. i am thinking of trying meds for a year and if they dont work am going to try to persuade a doc to do a ht.

but back to the problem at hand, what do i use and should i buy a certain shampo to help the hair loss??

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Uk_18 wrote:
i know there is a number of meds, proscar, propecia, finasteride etc but what do i use??

Hi Uk-18,

Proscar and Propecia are both finasteride in different dosages - Proscar is 5mg while Propecia is 1mg. 1mg finasteride has the best risk to benefit ratio so MERCK (big drug company) had the rights to 1mg dosage and named it Propecia. Typically, Proscar is much cheaper but it has to be cut down into 1/4th or 1/5 pieces. You should read up on the side effects and see if it's right for you. You should be able to get a consultation with one of the UK ht clinics to get the info on Finasteride. As far as the side effects with finasteride and rogaine foam, they will go away if you stop taking them so it's a good idea to try them. I know given your young age you need all the help you can get to slow your hairloss.....good luck to you.

If you'd like to email me - [email protected], I can email you our literature on Propecia/Proscar so you can get started on your research on the meds.

M

m7_kas

hi janna
thanks a lot for the support it is really helpful, i will be emailing you through my private email so i can get more info on these drugs

i really want this problem to be prevented especially knowing my options are limited

janna

janna

Valuable Member
I forgot to mention - be careful not to spend a whole lot of money on shampoo's that says it can re-grow hairs. I believe there are shampoo's that may help your hair feel thicker or give you the look of fuller hair - but not any that I know of that will re-grow or stop hair loss. Hair products such as mousse, gel and hair spray can do that too. You may also want to check into DermMatch, Nanogen or Toppiks to camouflage thinning.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hey dude great advice from janna as always:), being from the uk i would go back to your gp surgery and ask to see a different doctor as first and foremost your care is there job and without people like us they would be out of work, it really angers me how loads of uk doctors dont give too shits about patients feelings, i might be way out of line here but from my own experience of uk doctors unless your bloody arms hanging off they dont give a crap.

When i first went to my gp he too wasnt interested until i told him it was really getting me down and dramatically affecting my quality of life i also showed him an article out of a uk book by dr hilary jones discribing how propecia/finasteride help in the battle of hairloss he then qiuckly changed his mind and made out he knew about it all along lol)(_::

i take finasteride(which is as janna says the same as propecia/proscar) i take half a 5mg tablet every second day--- some people prefer to cut it into 5ths so they take 1mg every day over 5days but i personally find this a little messy and tricky

i also use nizoral 2percent shampoo 1 or two times a week which you can buy over the counter at boots

my regular shampoo is now trimocerin and i use this in between the nizoral days you can buy that from www.hairtransplantexperiences.com

i also take msm supplements 3000mg a day you can get this from the above address online cheaply or at holland and barrats

and i did use the rogaine foam once a day for around 5months but i got very itchy with it so stopped but many have good success with this again you can get this from the above address

good luck dude:)

bullitnut

bullitnut

my regular shampoo is tricomin not trimecorin just been in the shower and realised i spelt it wrong my bad;;D

M

m7_kas

thanks for the advice and your totally right doctors dont give a shit.
its seems that regaine products are the one to go for il look into these a bit more and see whats right for me

i guess its just trial and error really to see what works

T.C

T.C

Try REVITA shampoo,I have tried all shampoos and this is the best one I have used and it leaves the hair soft and full.It is a little pricey £20 but seems to be the most the most effective out there from what I have read on various forums from other users.

M

m7_kas

cheers for that is that available from a local pharmacy??

F

folliclediabolical

Valued member
Uk_18 wrote:
thanks for the advice and your totally right doctors dont give a shit.

I Agree,doc's are not too interseted in hair loss as there seeing patients with real illness on a daily basis.They view an HT as a cosmetic surgery (which i guess it is really) but dont understand the emotional ties that go with losing your hair,which is why i had to talk my GP into prescribing finasteride.

Its good that your on these forums at that age and able to try a few meds before deciding on anything else.Im sure plenty of us would do the same if we could turn back the clock.If id started on finasteride or similar at your age i might not be considering an HT now.;;D

T.C

T.C

UK18, You cant buy Revita in stores in the U.K but can get it from online shops like amazon,I got it from BIOVEA and you can use it everyday as it has lots of nutrients including 1% Ket which is in nizoral but doesnt irritate and dry your scalp like Niz can.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
I use MSM 700 mg a day [special offer at H+B at the moment]
I also take Saw Palmetto 450 mg a day which is a natural DHT Blocker. Being natural does not mean there will not be side effects. When taking 2 a day I noticed side effects but one a day seems fine. I am also noticing that I am getting small natural hairs growing in the temple areas and hair line. I've been on the above since May of this year.

I also drink Nettle tea which is a DHT blocker. I make my own tea from the nettles also which is even better but not everyones cup of tea, or buy the tea bags.

bullitnut

bullitnut

hey stephenl dude;) does that mean you dont take propecia or do you use both propecia and sawpalmetto

M

m7_kas

sorry for the late response guys been out of the way for a while

i have managed to get my doctor to give me finasteride but is it costing me normal price of £30 a month, so im going to trail it alongisde the rogaine foam

i will be keeping a record on the progross monthly but i know im going to have to be very patient with it

U

UK Chap

How come you pay that price? is it branded Propecia or a generic version?

Suffering hairloss at 18 years of age must be tough on you, i hope the Fin works out.

Best regards Chappers.

F

folliclediabolical

Valued member
Thats probably the 1mg tablets you have there.you can get a prescription for 5mg tablets for around £10 and cut them into fives,though i only manage quarters then scrape a little off each.

bullitnut

bullitnut

yup i get the 5mg tabs thats awfully expensive dude!!!

M

m7_kas

unless you go through it yourself you dont realise how traumatic it is especially at this age i beleive that until my hair grows back or i get a transplant i wont be completly happy, plus being conned £3500 by advance hair studio causes a person to loose even more hope in the sitaution and causes a lot of sleepless nights

anyways erm well im going to see how things work for the first two months and then might try the 5mg version. im unsure if its branded or not as im going to collect one i get my rogaine foam which ordered on monday but still not received anything.
i think like other treatments ill expect alot and get next to nothing in return just a loss of money
thanks for the support though guys

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to give the meds 12 months to see if they are doing anything for you,hopefully you wont have any sides and benefit from them.

Have you any pictures you can post.

bm.

M

m7_kas

well im still waiting on my rogaine foam that i bought from the minoxodil-direct,its coming upto a week and not got anything yet
i am going to keep a full profile and as soon as i get my tablets and the foam will start the pics