• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

DHI unshaven

reddude

reddude

Valued member
Hi. Just would like to share my shy experience with you all. So I had my DHI unshaven session at the end of June. Earlier than I was expecting but I won't bore you with the details. I had read plenty of positive reviews for DHI but I had also found a few negative ones also but I decided I would go ahead with it anyway. I was looking to cover my balding spot on my crown and just reduce my hairline slightly at the temples.

Ok so I arrived at my appointment at 9.20am (slightly early) feeling quite anxious and nervous and met the DHI representative who talked me through the various stages of the procedure that would take place that day. It also gave me the chance to ask a few questions. I would like to add that before the day of the procedure I asked on a number of occasions who my doctor would be but was never given an answer which I found a but disconcerting. The rep then took a few a few pics and said more woukd be taken at the end after the procedure.

So I met my doctor for the first time on the day of the procedure. Seemed friendly enough but didn't really have much to say. They asked whether I was on medication (I had been using Finasteride for 17 years). The DHI representative explained to the doctor what it wanted from my surgery. So I eventually went into the surgery room and had my anisthetic shots at the back of my head for extraction. Injections were little painful but nothing I couldn't handle. So the extraction began and all was fine except the bench in ehich i was lying face down in was extremely uncomfortable on my face. I raised my head slightly to try and explain this to the doctor who then grafted the back of my head and said quite angrily that they needs me to remain still. I apologised and they continued. So i lay face down in extreme discomfort for the rest of that srssion. About 80 minutes in and I began to feel the pain from the doctor extracting my hair. Luckily 10 mins later the doctor stopped to take a break st which time I explained i was feeling a bit of pain from the ectraction and they said they would give me more shots after the break.Before the next session started the doctor asked could they trim small areas at the back of my head as they were struggling a bit with the ectraction because I was bleeding a lot. I was a bit reluctant (for about 3 seconds) as I wanted an unshaven session but agreed.So next extraction session continued at the back of my head after a few more shots. It was straightforward enough and fairly painless. This continued for about another 90 mins before another break. I must add there was very little communication between myself and the doctor during the breaks. I was pretty much put into a room and keft there on my break. I tried to make conversation to make myself a little but more at ease but was getting nothing back really. The nurse was a little frenzied but she wasn't really bothered either.

So the 3rd extraction began at the sides of my head after a few anisthetic shots. Thry began to extract on the left side but the problem at this stage was as soon as the doctor applied the shots they began to extract straight away giving no time for the anisthetic to kick in. This continued for a few mins and was extremely painful as I could feel the tool extracting my hair. The doctor coukd see i was in pain because I was flinching continuously. So they gave more shots and eventually the shots kicked in. Until I turned on my right side. The pain on this side was excruciating as they began to extract again as soon as the shot was applied. Again I was flinching for a few minutes and a further 3 shots given before i was numb. Another thing I found during extraction was rather than asking me to move my head left or right, up or down, they would just grab my head to move it to where thry wanted. It was quite rough at times.So the extraction session finally finished around 2.20pm. I had some lunch and sat in a room for about an hour on my own. Have to admit I felt a little traumatised at the pain from the procedure and how I looked. I had a lot of blood on my hair and a streak of blood down by the side of my right eye. The thought of going back into the surgery for implant after lunch was a bit scary and was not helped by the lack of communication from the doctor. So my lunch ended and the doctor drew 2 lines at the front of my head to represent my new hairline and showed me in the mirror. It looked fine to me. Just before the implant session started I asked how many grafts were extracted. After a discussion between the nurse and Doctor I was told 2000 hairs. Seemed pretty precise number to me but sounded good enough so the implantation began at the crown. Was painless enough for this part. I was then given a few injections at the temples before implantation which were quite painful.

Finally, the procedure was over and the doctor told me to remain lying down for 2 mins. The nurse then made me sit up so she could clean the blood away from my head and hair. I then was instructed to go to the bathroom and wash my face. I came back and the doctor made me sign a couple of forms related to my procedure and the disposal of the implantation kit. The doctor then had a aftercare list which they explained I must follow. They read thru the first few things on the list and then said there was [size=other things on the list to follow and that I could get changed back into my clothes. ][size=I got the impression thry couldn't get me out if the quick enough. The whole procedure felt very impersonal and it all had a conveyer belt ferl to it. Get me in snd get me out as quick as possible with as little communication as possible. :whatever:. I just hope the results are better than the procedure. I will post my before pics on this post and will post the after procedure pics below. ]

Attachments

• 20170419_141515-01-01.jpeg
    20170419_141515-01-01.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,282
reddude

reddude

Valued member
After procedure

Attachments

• 20170624_174226-01.jpeg
    20170624_174226-01.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,231
reddude

reddude

Valued member
Temple

Attachments

• 20170624_174147-01.jpeg
    20170624_174147-01.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 1,279
reddude

reddude

Valued member
Part of extraction area

Attachments

• 20170627_203913-01.jpeg
    20170627_203913-01.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 1,222
reddude

reddude

Valued member
A few days after implant front

Attachments

• 20170627_221343-01.jpeg
    20170627_221343-01.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 1,241
reddude

reddude

Valued member
Crown a few days after implant.

Attachments

• 20170627_175206-01.jpeg
    20170627_175206-01.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,248
reddude

reddude

Valued member
2 weeks aftet

Attachments

• 20170703_105806-01.jpeg
    20170703_105806-01.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,157
reddude

reddude

Valued member
3 weeks and a bit of growth

Attachments

• 20170713_103621-01.jpeg
    20170713_103621-01.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,206
reddude

reddude

Valued member
4 weeks shedding and shock loss

Attachments

• 20170722_135437-01.jpeg
    20170722_135437-01.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,189
Last edited:
reddude

reddude

Valued member
Extraction area after 4 weeks

Attachments

• 20170723_105851-02.jpeg
    20170723_105851-02.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,267
reddude

reddude

Valued member
Another shock loss/extraction pic.

Attachments

• 20170720_113256-01.jpeg
    20170720_113256-01.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,266
reddude

reddude

Valued member
Im still using Finasteride but not using minoxidil. I know it can help with shock loss but i hope it wont get any worse than it is now. I find minoxidil very greasy and I really don't want to have to wash my hair every day as it's already and extended routine just to wash it every 2 days.c;;9

reddude

reddude

Valued member
Oh I forgot to add. 945 grafts 1986 grafts. 85-90 approx at front and 850-860 at crown. I don't know specific info on how many were implanted at temples and crown as I was not given this info but I counted 90 myself at the temples after procedure.

G

gosevy

valued member
I'm 13 months post surgery with DHI, I'm happy with the result with the exception of one thinnish area that they've agreed to touch up with 100 grafts. I had 1400 grafts, healing was very quick, redness had vanished after the 1st month. You'll probably receive a good result too.

reddude

reddude

Valued member
Hi Gosevy. Glad to hear you got a good result. Hopefully mine will turn out ok. Can I ask did you suffer from any shock loss?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The work looks nice and clean and should produce a good result.
Looking forward to following your progress.Sorry to hear the experience was uncomfortable.

G

gosevy

valued member
I don't think I suffered any shock loss at all.
I'm more of a forum browser than a poster, hence I don't post.

reddude

reddude

Valued member
That's good you didn't suffer shock Loss. Mine isn't too bad but it's noticeable to me.

reddude

reddude

Valued member
14 week update

Attachments

• 20170929_185920.png.jpg
    20170929_185920.png.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,029
E

Emvee

Valued member
Could be a stupid question, but is DHI a different technique to FUE/FUT?
If it something different, is it better?