• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dissecting grafts from a sliver via strip procedure

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
Dissecting grafts under microscope:

[flash=320,256]http://i296.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/janna0001/Dissection/GraftPreparation-MakingFUGsFromSliv.flv[/flash]

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Janna

How many grafts on average does one custom cut blade cut before it needs replacing.

Thanks bm.

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
We don't cut the grafts with the custom cut blades - they are used for making incisions. Is that what you mean? How many incisions does a custom cut blade make? If so, then it's rare we have to cut more than one blade of each size for a case. There are four or five different size blades that are cut for each surgery. There are typically a .7mm, .8mm, .9mm & 1.0mm blades ready. There are times when you know the patient has very fine hair, we may start the size at .6mm and move up to .9mm.

The blades we use for cutting grafts are either personna prep blades (single sided) or some techs use #10 blades. We go through ton of blades as the blades dull very quickly when they get wet. For Slivering, #10, double edged blades and prep blades are used.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Have you ever had new techs that were squemish at the site of a strip as i would imagine its weird seeing and handling one for the first time

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
Not any techs we've hired have been squimish after they are hired but we've had few potential hires either get light headed or downright faint.....needless to say, they were not hired. We all felt this environment was not for them.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I can't imagine that I would like to see my own scalp wide open--someone elses would be OK though. Happened a lot in hockey.:)

I have had over 200 stitches on my face and head with both HT's and hockey stuff.'''h;h;;h

NN

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

That's really cool to see, I've always wondered what it looks like. Is it just me, or does that appear to be a one inch piece of scalp w/only ~8 hairs in it (?)...Thanks Janna.

PS guys, wouldn't it be a bit invigorating to dissect your own strip? Tangential to a Korean BBQ restaurant (where you cook your own meat) if you will. You bring your own meat strip (scalp) doc removes it, you prepare it then he places it for you. Envision a chain of Korean BBQ style HT clinics across the globe gentlemen: men lined up in unison behind tables adorned in a chef hat, cooks apron, armed w/ a knife and spatula; slicing and seasoning their own strips to their individual delights. Not to mention the ingenuity of the business model: we could exponentially increase profitability by reducing over head costs of techs, sorry Janna perhaps we could contract you for an instructional video of sorts...think Emarald cooking show only w/hair :T:.I can just see you now---"take that juicy sliver of gristle, slice it w/the knife and BAM!"..If only I could find investors. Another million dollar idea down the drains...*sighs*

Last edited: