• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Does minoxidil make existing hair dependent on it too?

T

Treguard

Hi,

Quick question - I'm considering minoxidil/regaine and was wondering if people experienced any issues with it affecting existing hair alongside the thinning hair? Given it makes existing hair shed, does that mean that any follicles treated with minoxidil (whether thin or strong and healthy) will grow back with a dependency on it? And therefore, I'd either need to be SUPER careful about where I spread the foam on my crown? Or does it not matter?

Advice appreciated!

JohnB

JohnB

In my case it was, when you stop using it, its effects are gone too. Also, I used it for two years and grew tolerance to it. It started to have no effect on my hair so I believe it depends on each person's hair character and scalp characteristics.

T

Treguard

Thanks - I understand that when you stop using it the effects also wear off. My question is more about whether it affects existing hair that is currently strong around the area?

JohnB

JohnB

Yeah, for me, it affected only the area where I already had hair. Because I use my hair to one side, I guess from the product I used, the left side of my hair fell while the other side remained the same. So, I used it to grow hair at that bald spot but unfortunately, I could not regrow hair there. Instead, the area where I had hair got crazy dense which I can't really complain. But, I kept using it because even if you can't regrow hair, at least you can make sure the existing ones are there for a longer time..

V

Viking

Good question Treguard. Surely there must be others on here who can share their experience with starting and stopping Regaine?