• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Donor area

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I have asked this question before but never really got an anwer that had consistency and validity.

What typically happens to the donor area post HT? Does the crown lower or is there typically any variance? Obviously when sutured, things have to tighten from above or below or is there an equal pull?

I ask this question again because over the weekend I saw an individual with a HT that had a crown that was extremely low in the donor area.

NN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Great question.

Hopefully a doctor will answer this.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Well if my knowledge stands correct from memory, I believe that the skin and fascia from the nuchal ridge (bump along back of head) is primarily fixed as an origin/insertion point so therefore I still believe that with a strip surgery, the crown would lower towards the donor. Possibly over time as the skin stretches it is all a wash.*nl

NN

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
For there to be any great movement the strip would have to be taken in a very aggressive manner, either in terms of the position taken or the width of the strip. The recognised area for the strip to be removed is slightly on and below the occipital bone that slightly protrudes on the back of the head. The strip can be taken in slightly different areas if a more aggressive approach is wanted, say slightly above and higher on the sides but obviously this can conflict if the person's hair loss becomes aggressive and there is the potential for the linear scar to then become visible.

But the original question, would the crown drop, or for that matter the nape rise due to the strip being removed, not in any obvious or long term way assuming it was taken in a safe manner in relation to the person's laxity.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Stephen.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
stephenl wrote:
But the original question, would the crown drop, or for that matter the nape rise due to the strip being removed, not in any obvious or long term way assuming it was taken in a safe manner in relation to the person's laxity.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks Stephen

NN