• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Donor management/replacement of extracted follicles

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve been reading for some time the subject of replacing extracted scalp grafts with body hair to minimise the impact of the missing hair.

If any FUE clinics could answer the following.

Is a body hair graft/follicle/bulb the same size as one taken from the scalp?

Does the size vary from different parts of the body,ie leg,arm,back,beard.

If body grafts are smaller,does a larger punch need to be used for extraction so that there is enough surrounding tissue so that the graft will fit snugly into the scalp recipient site.Otherwise it would pop out i would imagine.

I`ll probably think of more questions if anyone answers.

Thanks bm.

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Hi Bm

As far as I am aware, Dr Mwamba has a process whereby each extracted hair (head)follicle is replaced by body hair; they call this 'donor restocking'. I haven't seen any documented results but this is an interesting concept.

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
We dont offer this, no idea of this could work.

I can see however that the local anestethic could start to give a problem, it would take loads of local a. to keep the area numb for a long period.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply`s guys.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this.

bm.

the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
It doesn't work, it has been tried with no real success.

It was over-hyped a few years ago, when it failed miserably.

Perhaps in the right hands, ,maybe, but not worth the effort imho.

FUE done properly will leave minimal scarring.

Take Care,
Jason

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jason for your take on this,anyone else.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
The punch used for body/beard generally is slightly larger due to the need to capture all the surrounding matter, sebaceous gland, muscles, sweat to attain the best regrowth. Placing back into previously extracted holes has not proven to be successful but placing body hair back into the donor, and into scarring had proven to work well, keeping the placed density lower initially to get the highest yield.

Body hair grafts themselves do differ in size. In my surgeries we have used beard hairs that were quite coarse.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Stephen

When you say planting into existing holes has not been succsessful,is this straight away,ie as soon as a graft is extracted from the head a body graft is placed or are you saying maybe 6 months down track a body hair is placed in the white dot scar areas.

Hope that makes sense.

bm.

sl

sl

Hi BM

Basically yes, placing directly back into open wounds is not recommended, but waiting for the skin to heal, 6 months to a year dependent on the person and then placing grafts, BH, beard not a problem. Dr.B has done this quite a few times and as long as a lower density is placed and then built up slowly the yield so far has been positive.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
stephenl wrote:
Hi BM

Basically yes, placing directly back into open wounds is not recommended, but waiting for the skin to heal, 6 months to a year dependent on the person and then placing grafts, BH, beard not a problem. Dr.B has done this quite a few times and as long as a lower density is placed and then built up slowly the yield so far has been positive.

Hi Stephen

What is the reason placing a graft straight back into the void left by a recently extracted graft is not recommended.Is it due to the trauma the area is under from the extraction?

Thanks bm.

sl

sl

Yes, basically a few reasons , trauma of the open wound healing, then the size and diameter of the wound, very unlikely you can place a graft into a wound made by a punch tool and the graft will be secure.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Steve,your explanation makes good sense to me.

bm.