• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr Bruno Ferreira - 3569 grafts - 07&08 September

N

nokee

Hello everyone, I was a long time lurker here without the username but few days ago I underwent the surgery with dr. Bruno Ferreira so I decided to make a thread and hope both you fellow people and me can follow and comment on my results. I also know that dr. Ferreira doesnt have much exposure and a lot of people would love to see some more work from him and here it is !
I will try not to make this post too long and also sorry for my English and grammar in advance as it is not my native language :)

So lets start with some of my history, Im a 26 year old lad having MBP since my early age (probably 18-19) and as dr. Ferreira considered I am a class 3v-4 on the Norwood-Hamilton scale with a diffuse component. But after I had my initial talks with dr. Ferreira I had started using Finasteride (06.07.2020) and havent been using it before. Basically my frontal areas have receeded a ton, mid scalp moderately and crown was left almost untouched (luckily).
So I started using Fin 1.25mg every other day and been doing it same way ever since. Fin didnt do many wonders to me, but it did keep my existing hair + improved crown and mid scalp a bit (will attach few photos).
IMG_20200718_121714.jpgIMG_20210126_161711.jpg

My surgery plan

Originally dr. Ferreira suggested to do 4000-4500 grafts with a 2 day OP but he said that this might change as Finasteride could give me some boost and guess what, thats exactly what happened. When we met in person he actually decided that we dont need to touch crown and can focus more on my frontal third, mid scalp and just a refine touch on my temples as they were existing and very defined already but missed a bit of density.

1.st day OP

So first day of my operation was September 7.th and thats when I went to the clinic. Doctor decided we should meet a bit early to do all the preparation, hairline design etc.. so we met at 07:30 AM. I was warmly welcomed by one of his nurses and given a key to my personal room where Im going to get dressed up for the operation. After that was done I finally met dr. Ferreira and the talks have begun :D . After I sat at the chair so he could examine my head a little bit better he instantly notices that my forehead is quite assimetrical (one side is a little bit in front of the other) so he drew an assimetrical hairline aswell which I really really liked, he was drawing it for solid 30 minutes, maybe even more. He really wanted to make sure the hairline fits my face and looks as natural as possible. After that doctor took measurements of my donor and the hairline and we decided we will go with 3500 grafts, we had to cover 75 cm2 and my density is going to be 45-50 grafts per cm2.
As we agreed on the hairline we proceeded to the room where all the fun begins :) . First day doctor extracted and implanted 1.6k grafts, first he extracted and implanted 1k followed by a break and delicious lunch and then we proceeded to do the remaining 600 for the day.
Doctor was taking a lot of pictures in between all the breaks but I still didnt receive them so will update the thread once i do. I also dont remember the hair count but I remember my hair/graft being 2.19 for the first day because doctor took almost 400 singles for the hairline.
Worth noting i did have this one spot where i bleeded a little bit after the surgery but i was all fixed later on :) . When I got home all I had to do was spray ton of saline solution every 30 minutes and my night was actually decent, I managed to sleep some.
IMG_20210907_204727.jpgIMG_20210907_204748.jpgIMG_20210907_204753.jpg

2.nd day OP
So first day was over really fast and it was all smooth until I went to charge my phone this morning. I had a charger port right under some freakin lamp and I gently touched the lamp (didnt even shake it or anything) with my forehead but I wasnt sure if it was actually with my transplanted part. I called my GF we examined it and we still werent sure which is a good sign I guess because it didnt bleed or anything. I got really pissed as im really a perfectionist when it comes to doing things like this and I prepared so well for it but decided to remain calm. Afterwards I went to the clinic and instantly told the story to the doctor and he went to see whats up. He said that he thinks I did hit it with a upper part of my hairline (i will show it later on) but as i didnt hit it hard and i had no bleeding, follicles probably didnt die. After we went with the surgery on the break he told me that he opened a bit these damaged grafts (because they were a little bit pushed against the head but not moved) and everything will be fine. A little horror story but the spot is really not big and I think its healing very well but we shall see :).
This day we went with the same tactic as the day before and it went all smooth once again. This day we extracted the remainder of the grafts and my hair/graft count was 2.6 and had actually quite a bit of 4 and 5 hair grafts. Total hair/graft count was 2.48 or something like that (really dont remember exactly, I will need to wait for photos). At the temples there was around 50 fine single hairs placed in each of them (doctor said that we cant go agressive here and this is just a fine little touch on already existing hairs)
IMG_20210908_170022 - Copy.jpgIMG_20210908_182359 - Copy.jpgIMG_20210908_182403 - Copy.jpgIMG_20210908_182412 - Copy.jpgIMG_20210908_182522 - Copy.jpg

Now the healing period starts
So the surgery part really went smooth and clean and I was very happy with the outcome. After the OP I was given very clear OP instructions and a big bag with a lot of stuff (saline solutions, aloe vera, shampoos, some medicine etc.. ). I didnt get swollen a lot because doctor also gave me some ice packs and instructed me to use them 3-4 times a day for 10 minutes.
Healing so far is going really good and at the moment i am at my second day so here are some photos.

Day 1 post OP
IMG_20210909_114846.jpgIMG_20210909_114850.jpgIMG_20210909_114900.jpgIMG_20210909_142647.jpgIMG_20210909_114824.jpg

Day 2 post OP
IMG_20210910_143011.jpgIMG_20210910_143205.jpgIMG_20210910_191801.jpg

I feel like I have spammed way too much but thats just my way of writing haha. Hope you guys dont mind and feel free to give me some feedback.
Also a special shoutout to our boy @Rolandas who gave me a lot of information and never hesitated to answer my questions !

Last edited:
Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Great story with plenty of details and pictures. All of your head looks clean which I bet will heal fast. The Finasteride improvement saved you money and grafts. Did the doctor say if he thinks your crown will keep improving?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Nokee. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your detailed review of your journey. I’m pleased the forum helped you with your research.
Everything sounds like the surgery and the pre planning went really well. The Finasteride has improved your crown which is great. It will probably be benefitting the rest of your hair too which is important because at 26 you are still quite young. The work looks good, nice placement and the density of 45-50 grafts per cm2 Should produce a very nice result. Your 2nd day donor pictures look like 5 days post op with good healing, it’s very clean.
I`ll look forward to following your progress.
All the best.
Bm.

N

nokee

Great story with plenty of details and pictures. All of your head looks clean which I bet will heal fast. The Finasteride improvement saved you money and grafts. Did the doctor say if he thinks your crown will keep improving?
Thanks, so far so good.. I do have quite a lot of scabs especially in the front hairline, but thats probably due to having like half of my total grafts placed there. Doctor didnt say much about my crown, he just said that my existing hair looks healthy and theres no miniaturisation at all. I did have pretty weird Finasteride shedding pattern, I didnt have big shed at all until August this year (so for 1.1 year) and that shed stopped about 7 days prior to surgery, so I would expect a lot more growth now probably.

A little update 5 days post OP
IMG_20210913_135001.jpgIMG_20210913_135006.jpgIMG_20210913_135010.jpgIMG_20210913_161757.jpg

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
From my own experience with Finasteride I think your crown will be ok. Have most of the scabs come off?

N

nokee

From my own experience with Finasteride I think your crown will be ok. Have most of the scabs come off?
Hey Kevboy, so far my Fin results are okayish, I have kept my hair/hairline for 1.2 years now so its working for me .. Didnt have much strengthening/regrowth so far but maybe its to be expected :)
Day 11 post OP today and yeah most of scabs are off, however I still feel like theres a layer of something when im going from non transplanted to transplanted area with my fingers, feel like my scalp on the transplanted part is kind of elevated if that makes sense?

Anyhow here are some pics, let me know if looks good/dense for the number of grafts I've had. What about the hairline, looks good? To me it looks really decent, especially the details (I will attach some close ups later on too). One part is making me bit nervous, its the the part right above the hairline in the middle (looks a bit thin compared to rest of the hair and its also right above the hairline) but im probably being too picky/over analyzing things just for the sake of it :) We all probably went through that phase hehe. Attaching some of the temporal work too (had 50~ singles placed in both sides, mostly just to shape temporal peaks a little bit) .
Also my donor has completely healed but my GF forgot to take pics of it today so I will have it on the next update.
IMG_20210916_223649.jpgIMG_20210918_153558.jpgIMG_20210919_212013.jpg

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Maintaining shows it is working. I think the density is good over the whole transplanted part. It looks clean and probably some shedding going on that will make some bits thinner. Temples look good.

N

nokee

Maintaining shows it is working. I think the density is good over the whole transplanted part. It looks clean and probably some shedding going on that will make some bits thinner. Temples look good.
Yeah, maintaining is most important and thats what most will get from Fin anyways.. Not everyone is going to regrow :)
Thanks for the good words, when can I expect to enter full shed mode?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Everything looks to be healing well at 11 days post op. The raised area of scalp is nothing to be concerned about. The trauma causing swelling which will heal in its own time. Shedding is usually complete by 2 - 3 weeks post op. Sometimes, grafts can continue to grow and follow their normal telegenic stages.
Enhancing the temporal peaks will add a nice cosmetic appearance to the overall result.