• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at hair[email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr Kostis - 2700 Grafts

L

LM_

Valued member
Hello Everyone,
Just had my FUE transplant completed which was performed by Dr Kostis from the BHR Clinic in Brussels and thought i would share my experience in the hope it would help other patients with there research.

After contacting the BHR clinic i was put in touch with Hilde who has been a massive help since day one answering any questions or worries i had along the way.
On the day of the transplant i arrived at the clinic at 7.30am, Dr Bisanga took a closer look at my hair and then proceeded to come up with a new hairline which we both agreed on. After my photos were taken i was taken to have my blood test taken and my hair shaved ready for the procedure.

Dr Kostis then started the surgery by injecting the anesthetic into my donor area which i must admit was very uncomfortable, Once the Anaesthetic kicks in Dr Kostis started the extraction of the grafts which took a couple hours. Within this time i was very relaxed and tired so kept dosing off.

Once the extraction was completed it was lunch time, I explained to Hilde that i had a dairy intolerance which she had no issue assisting me choose something on the menu. Once i sat down to eat i started feeling very nauseous and light headed so had to skip lunch, Stupidly this was my fault as i had no breakfast before the surgery. Unfortunately the hotel i stayed at didn't offer any breakfast that early in the morning and as I also suffer with a dairy intolerance the delivery services within that area only had a few options which mainly involved pizza, wraps & burger king so decided not to risk it.

After i felt better we went back into the surgery room which Dr Kostis performed the anesthetic and incisions, The technicians then took over and started the placement of the grafts which i was then able to relax and watch films. Although i was relaxed this part i struggled with i was very tired and my legs started to ache.

Now for the embarrassing part haha.
After all the grafts were placed the technicians cleaned me up and took me to take some last photos of the outcome, After the photos were taken i took a turn for the worse and started feeling very ill again which i ended up throwing up, I then asked if i could get some fresh air which i was accompanied by Dr Kostis, the technicians and hilde. After a short while i passed out and was taken back to my chair and kept under obs for about 45 mins - 1 hour until all the staff were happy with my recovery. Hilde made sure i eat a decent amount of food and gave me some sugary drinks to bring my levels up to normal before leaving the surgery.

So lesson learned haha, Make sure you EAT before surgery!

Graft Breakdown:
1's : 429
2's : 1213
3's : 1016
4's : 42

As of today i am currently on day 2 post op
Woke up today to my face swelling up and donor area has started to itch.

I am currently not taking any hair loss medications but debating to start a small dose of oral minoxidil.

Now for the hardest part which is waiting for the results...

image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image9.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image0 (5).jpeg
image0 (6).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sl
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lm, thanks for sharing your story with the forum. It will help others currently researching doctors.
It`s a good point you raised about some hotness not serving breakfast early enough. Patients should check this out beforehand and make adequate provisions of taking something in the night before for breakfast or ask the hotel if they can provide a ready made meal the night before. Being sick and passing out I’ve heard a few patients mention this before. It sounds as though the staff took extra care to make sure you were ok to carry on with surgery and leave at the end.

The work looks nice and refined. Very clean extractions with a spaced out educated pattern. Placement and hairline design looks good. Those 2700 should make an amazing change to your appearance once grown out.

Did the clinic provide any anti inflammatory meds? If not, some ice packs will help with the swelling. I found Aloe Vera gel helped to alleviate the itching. Some will take antihistamines but best check with the clinic.

At 2 days post-op just take it easy and rest up. It`ll be great to see regular updates of your progress.

Thanks again for sharing.

All the best.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
LM many thanks for posting and sorry to hear you were unwell also! Hope you recover really fast and let us know if you need anything.

Reactions: LM_
Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Brilliant as usual from Bhr but more so with it being Dr Kostis. You can see the quality.

sl

sl

Thank you Kevboy..Yes, he has the been clearly trained by Dr.Bisanga..Very clean work in donor and recipient..

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Friend ,

The work looks very good and that amount of grafts should give you a nice result , nice numbers in your 3s Graft Counts all the best

L

LM_

Valued member
Yeah the staff was amazing which is always a bonus.
I was provided with about 2 days of antibiotics plus shampoo and saline spray.

My donor area seems to be healing but the past day or two I've been getting quite a bit of pain. Is this normal? I have started to apply aloe very cream which seems to help for a small period of time.

image0 (6).jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

sl

sl

Hi LM..donor pain is normal and can come in a bit stronger after usually around 4/5 days post op and can be worse at night. This is usually in the occipital area and I enclose a screenshot of a post op hints and tips I put together that covers this. The pain can last a week and you can take pain killers now to help, vit b tablets and cold aloe vera also.

Please do not hesitate to ask Hilde anything but pain killers for neuralgia will help a lot and it will pass in about 5 days once it comes.

pain in donor.png

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I believe the pain is nerve endings and general tightening of the skin while healing. I would take some paracetamol every 4 hours to keep it at bay. The donor site looks good.

M

MHLON

Yeah the staff was amazing which is always a bonus.
I was provided with about 2 days of antibiotics plus shampoo and saline spray.

My donor area seems to be healing but the past day or two I've been getting quite a bit of pain. Is this normal? I have started to apply aloe very cream which seems to help for a small period of time.
Has the pain in your donor area subsided yet? I had my transplant 10 days ago, started getting sharp pain in donor area around day 4/5 like you and it's still going on...am constantly on pain killers

loui

loui

Valued member
Nice to see a Dr Kostis case, not many of them out there yet. Keep updating, really exciting stuff! :)

L

LM_

Valued member
Thanks sl i did end up messaging hilde regarding it before I see your reply.

The pain in my donor area lasted about 2 weeks which felt like a lifetime as it was effecting my sleep but I’m now at a month since having the procedure and all looks to be going well I think?

The only thing I have now is my donor area gets very itchy especially since I wear a hat all day while at work, how long dose this normally last for?

0464E8A6-1438-46D3-AD1B-4ECDDD691946.jpeg
9AA9BBC5-74C2-4B45-BE30-C2BC21C19302.jpeg
21F83614-DDB8-4652-B080-FF77647D74A7.jpeg
A7867E10-E58B-41E8-A2B8-E4E9C640D462.jpeg

L

LM_

Valued member
Nice to see a Dr Kostis case, not many of them out there yet. Keep updating, really exciting stuff! :)
I noticed this as well but knowing he was trained and working along side Dr Bisanga for a while now sealed the deal for me.

L

LM_

Valued member
Has the pain in your donor area subsided yet? I had my transplant 10 days ago, started getting sharp pain in donor area around day 4/5 like you and it's still going on...am constantly on pain killers
How's your donor area now and did it last much longer after your post?

sl

sl

Hi, your skin is still healing in donor and recipient healing and with some residual redness in the recipient more so and it will shed old skin and renew. It also can be dryer post surgery and also cold weather. You can apply a moisturiser and massage that will also help. Hilde is good and will be happy to answer all but around a month or so is common.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Your healing looks right on track. Redness can linger in the recipient area for a while. Donor areas can and do itch post-op while it heals. Antihistamine pills can help to alleviate this. Wearing a hat all day usually makes your scalp hot and sweaty which will contribute to itching. Try to remove the hat when it’s not required.
Good to hear the pain has passed.

M

MHLON

How's your donor area now and did it last much longer after your post?
Hey, thanks for asking. My sharp donor area pain lasted for 5 days and then suddenly disappeared. Though my donor area still feels a bit tender when i touch it. We are at roughly similar time since our transplant. I am on day 32 now. My redness is mostly gone but in the last couple of days i started getting tiny pimples on my recipient area that are quite painful. i also wear a hat a lot so it might be caused by this partially. Have started applying some aloe vera gel which soothes it relatively quickly.
From your pictures i can see your donor area hair has regrown beautifully. very nice work. I had 3k grafts taken and have somewhat wider gaps than you to cover up it seems.

Speoj

Speoj

How's it looking now man? Any update?
Thanks for the note on making sure to eat before surgery, my HT is tomorrow so glad I saw this post to remind me to eat something lol

Reactions: sl
sl

sl

All the best for your surgery tomorrow. Get some good rest tonight.

L

LM_

Valued member
How's it looking now man? Any update?
Thanks for the note on making sure to eat before surgery, my HT is tomorrow so glad I saw this post to remind me to eat something lol
Hey man!
Yeah its going great so far, All the itchiness & pain didn't last too much longer. I'm at the 2 month mark now and gave myself a buzz cut yesterday so hopefully all starts growing together.
Not started shedding yet and hoping it stays like that.

Ahh that's great news mate hope it all goes well for you. What clinic you going to?