• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr Rogers, Bad hairdressing burn

donna

donna

This young lady came to our clinic 1 year ago with a chemical burn from her hairdresser.

Dr Rogers performed a minor scalp reduction on her to remove scar tissue, at the same time we did a graft test patch to see how succesful it would take.

She came back this year and we performed 800 graft FUE on her.

Thank you for looking.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I hate this word scalp reduction, makes me think of Jimmy White, so small looks like it would qualify as a scar revision.

I hope her stupid hairdresser paid for this.

Last edited:
J

JJ09

Nice repair ¬b` she must be ;)

I have a lumpy zig zag finish to my scalp reduction in the crown and sometimes wonder if it's possible to improve it with a procedure such as this...

donna

donna

Hi JJ09, we see people with minor scars all the time which can be repaired. I see your based in Sydney and if you were looking for a good Dr i could recommend one for you.

J

JJ09

Thanks Donna ;) , unfortunately my repair is not minor and I would rather travel to the ends of the earth than see a Dr in Australia…

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
Hi JJ09,
There are various options for more major repairs but which would be best for you depends on a number of factors. Can you describe what needs improving or do you have some pictures?

J

JJ09

Hi Dr Rogers

Here’s a quick outline of what I’m dealing with:
Pitting in the hairline
Six strip procedures, early to mid 90’s to the frontal third
Three scalp reductions, scarred from temples to crown
2000 FUE hairline/frontal third
Donor is not good at the back sides are reasonable

I believe my only hope is to utilize beard/perhaps some body and scalp hair.
I have consulted with a few Dr’s in OZ…they don’t inspire much confidence.

The picture doesn't show the crown that well and if wondering what the patchy blue areas are...it was an attempt at concealing the scar by tattooing it.

Attachments

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
JJ,

With your hair longer and combed back can you hide the scars? Obviously the shorter the more likely the scars are visible so I would think that you have to keep hair a little longer?

I guess I knew of your story but apparently never really grasped the extent to the procedures you have gone thru. Man you have been thru the mill. I feel for you bud.

In your case I would ONLY proceed with a doctor that has had a lot of experience with body and scalp FUE and has demonstrated many examples of successful cases. I personally believe that the best approach for you is to either:

1. Get the frontal 1/2 complete and go with a hairstyle where you comb things backwards

2. It appears that the frontal 1/3 is in good shape so you correct the crown and then have style where you comb crown forward.

I would certainly do one of the above 1st and then see what the coverage is like before attempting to spread out those precious grafts. Just my opinion ofcourse for what it is worth.

NN

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
Have you had grafts placed into the actual scars? If not, it could be worth revising the scars first. You often find that old, thick scars heal much better if the scar tissue only is very carefully removed and resutured. Even if some grafts have been placed in the current scars, very careful refashioning of the scar could still be worthwhile. Part of the problem with obvious scarring, is the absence of hair, but it is also the change in skin texture, colour etc that reflects the light differently. If the scar can be reduced or texture improved, it would be a big help.

Was that a permanent or semi permanent tattoo? It should eventually fade if semi perm but if permanent, it's probably a good idea to deal with the tattoo first as some removal treatments may cause hair loss themselves.

Skin treatments such as chemical peels, dermabrasion etc can also help with skin texture, if the scar itself isn't too thick.

Finally, if the scar is improved as much as possible, then FUE HT into the scar itself should be beneficial. The potential problem with transplanting the scar straightaway, is that the scar will still reflect light differently, so unless the grafts are placed quite densely, the scar still tends to show. And if you really do place grafts densely in the scar, the surrounding hair is probably less dense and you'll end up with a scar demarcated by increased hair density (same problem in reverse - I've seen it happen).

So, it obviously has to be addressed carefully and maybe make haste slowly. I'd suggest thinking about the actual scars first (but hard to tell from pictures alone) and then NN makes some sensible suggestions for the future plan.

J

JJ09

Thanks NN ;)

I can cover the scars better with longer hair, the problem is it grows in all the wrong directions and with the frontal third being sparse it starts looking too stringy (mini grafts)! The crown with its unusual finish to the scar makes it almost impossible to cover, I am pretty much left to just clip it down to ¾ inch every couple of month as I could never go to a hairdresser.
Fact is I never leave home with out a hat anyway, however I would like to one day, before I get to old (47). However, I have managed to venture out of a night recently with plenty of concealer.

I do like your suggestion of addressing the crown first as this is an area that is more difficult for me to conceal due to the scar and unnatural growth, than the front. If I got that sorted I could grow my hair a little longer at the back to cover the strip scars also.

I believe my situation needs to be assessed in a personal consultation unfortunately all of the good Dr’s are overseas, which only creates further financial stress.

Dr Rogers

There are some (not many) grafts placed in the reduction scars from the mid scalp to crown, nothing in the strips however.

A lot of the tattoo (permanent) has faded an may fade some more, I have thought of a procedure to try and reduce there appearance, I am reluctant to do so for the reasons you mention.

I’m not sure whether my scalp could endure any more incision.

Thank you, for taking the time to address my concerns.;)

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Note to anyone reading this, my first procedure was done some 20 years ago and I’m sure that no one will have poor work done with current techniques. Still choose wisely…;)

D

Dr Rogers

Valued member
Hopefully the info all helps you make the right choice and ask questions when you do get chance to see someone.

Last point, although you are understandably not keen, it is worth discussing the scar revisions with your doctor. As you've aged since your last procedures, the scar matures and natural elasticity improves again and your scalp should be fine with careful and cautious surgery. Also, the skin actually heals cosmetically much better as you age. Dr Hasson believes 47 to be the optimal age in fact! The worst scars you see on the internet, tend to be in younger men, often on their second procedures. And of course, techniques have much improved and surgeons now realise the donor area is also important cosmetically, which probably wasn't so true 10-20 years ago.

Good luck, I'm sure it can be improved.

J

JJ09

Dr Rogers wrote:
surgeons now realise the donor area is also important cosmetically, which probably wasn't so true 10-20 years ago.

Good luck, I'm sure it can be improved.
I concur, this was exactly my thought all those years ago...as long as I have hair on the top of my head, I don't care about the back!

Thank you Dr Rogers

M

michaelmast

Hi, doctors i have a situation with my wife, she is lossing a lot of hair in the last 2 days, what can i do?

Find a new wife.

A

Amy

If I opted for surgery, would it be possible to have fue method leaving my hair long to hide the area where the grafts are extracted?