• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dry/Cracking Recipient Area

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

-this doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I just wan to ensure that this can in no way have an adverse affect on my grafts and/or yield. Also, the second picture makes it look a bit worse than it is. In person there is no yellow puss type discoloration or any real swelling look; at least by the naked eye.

-also, I'm dying to shave my native hair but some of the hairs are in close proximity to the grafts. Is it safe to do so now? What about the staples?

-when did you begin wearing normal (snug/tight) fitting hats again?

Any (knowledgeable) info on this would be greatly appreciated.

PS I did contact H&W about this & awaiting their response, just wanted to hear your guys (and janna) input/experience w/this as well.

Attachments

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ng.

The dry/cracking is all normal but some say to keep the area moist with aloe vera,saline spray or Graftcyte.

I used Graftcyte spray and my scabs disappeared fairly quickly.

For shaving your /buzzing your hair i would wait until you get your staples out then do it.

Hope that helps

bm.

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Hi NG2GB,

I'd agree with BM. For me, scabs were starting to come away by now and were pretty much all gone by the time the staples came out. I've only worn a hat off and on since the op but it's been the stylish (not) Trucker cap.

As for the thought of buzzing down and touching the staples - my teeth are grinding at the thought LOL. I've also found that some of the staple holes can be a bit sore for a few days after while they heal.

Looking good though.

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Here's H&W's suggestions in case anyone would like to know:

-wearing snug/tight fitting hat: wait until all swelling is gone.

-buzzing down: best to wait until all scabs are gone & staples removed (yet I've seen patients do this prior, like jotronic).

-grafts LOCKED in place: by day 7 the only way to do damage to the grafts would be by significant trauma to the head (apart from sunburn & applying products w/alcohol to the area). so it's safe to sleep "normal" & wash hair normal now as well.

-dry/cracking skin: perfectly normal and I can take long hot showers, wash normally to get rid of the scabs and begin applying vitamin E oil at night for dryness, now that it's 7 days post op.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Glad the advice ties in with the docs advice.

Remember drink the alcohol,not pour it on your head.:)

Spex

Spex

Aloe vera has always proven to be very helpful for this post op - i would have thought by now though your situ is better.:)