Female hair loss treatment is referred to as any procedure that aims to stimulate hair growth and stop hair loss. Thinning or lost hair can be devastating to a woman’s self-confidence in their appearance. At City Facial Plastics, located in Manhattan, NYC, we offer advanced hair growth treatments for women to restore lost hair and self-confidence. Dr. Gary Linkov is an experienced women hair loss treatment specialist and facial plastic surgeon in New York who has extensive experience treating hair loss, especially in women.
What Is Hair Loss Treatment for Women?
Fortunately, members of the medical community do have an understanding of the common types of hair loss in women and the best hair loss treatment for women. Before treatment can be rendered, it is critical to do a thorough medical investigation into the reason for the hair loss. For women, unlike men, there are often several reasons for hair loss. There is some overlap with hair loss treatment options for men, though certain unique scenarios exist for female hair loss treatment restoration.
What Is the Evaluation of Female Hair Loss?21 million women in the USA have hair loss to varying degrees. 40% of women experience hair loss before the age of 40. Hair loss is often a major emotional burden and can affect one’s self-esteem and how women are perceived in the workplace and in their social circles. Many women find creative ways of covering up their hair loss as addressing the underlying cause can often be challenging, confusing, and expensive.
Obtaining a sound hair loss history and medical history involves active listening. Most women really want to be heard and validated for their concerns.
Many times multiple reasons for hair loss are at play and involve different organ systems such as:
- Chemical agents
- When did the hair loss start?
- What is the location of hair loss?
- Are there associated symptoms (burning, itching, pain)?
- Were there any prior hair restoration treatments?
- Which hair care products are used?
Female hair loss tends to occur in certain patterns that can be readily recognized to the trained eye. The basic patterns, and types, of hair loss in women, include:
- Androgenic Alopecia
- The most common form of hair loss in women (as it is in men)
- Strong genetic component
- Miniaturization of hair follicles with a progressive transformation of terminal hair follicles into vellus-like follicles (finer hairs)
- Presents as central thinning (Grade 1-3) with preservation of the frontal most scalp hairs centrally
- Telogen Effluvium
- Exists in an acute and chronic form
- Some hairs go from the anagen phase of hair growth into a telogen phase of hair loss
- In the acute form, the cause is a specific event in the past, and the hair will usually grow back within 9 months
- Steroid injections and/or platelet-rich plasma may help reduce the shedding
- Cicotrichial Alopecia
- A scarring form of alopecia
- Destroys the hair follicle, replacing it with scar tissue and causes permanent hair loss
- Hair loss can be gradual or rapid
- Associated symptoms may be may severe itching, pain, and burning
- Alopecia Areata
- An autoimmune type of hair loss in which the body attacks its own hair follicle
- May be associated with other autoimmune conditions
- Presents as small round or oval patches of baldness on the scalp. The area of bald skin looks smooth and normal.
- 90% of patients have regrowth of hair within 1 year, but some can progress to complete hair loss on the scalp (alopecia totalis),or even the entire body (alopecia universalis)
Hair Loss Treatment PRP Case 1
Hair Loss Treatment PRP Case 1
City Facial Plastics
635 Madison Ave #1402E,
New York, NY 10022