• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Finasteride and a hair transplant - should I wait?

J

JohnJones

Hi all,

I am 37, a Norwood 4 or 5 and started taking 1mg a day of finasteride around 3 weeks ago.

When I began researching hair transplants my aim was to have a procedure by the end of the year. However I am now wondering if i am better waiting for the finasteride to take full effect. My logic (and correct me if I am wrong) is that i) transplanted hair will more likely be retained if I have given finasteride sufficient time and ii) stabilising hair loss will give the surgeon a better position to help plan my procedure around future hair loss.

Assuming this is correct (and it may not be) how long would you wait before having a procedure?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Having a hair transplant without the use of meds is taking a risk. You're a Norwood 4 or 5 now so chances are you could progress further.
In my opinion taking the meds prior to surgery is the best option. Try to stabalise your loss and maybe regrow some miniturised hairs and dormant follicles. What a lot of people do t realise is that most people's safer donor zones can thin out over time. Grafts that may be healthy this year may did out next year without meds.
6 months is usually a good indicator that the meds are working and you're not suffering and side effects.

J

JohnJones

6 months isn’t too long to wait if it means a better chance of longer lasting success. Thanks for your help.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some people see a great improvement in their hair resulting in fewer grafts needed and possibly not going ahead with the surgery.

J

JohnJones

I’ve been taking finasteride for around 3 months now and noticed more shedding than usual. From what I could find online this is normal and actually a good sign.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Shedding is a sign your body is adapting to the meds. Your hair may look worse for a little while until the hair's return, usually thicker and stronger.