• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Finisteride vs dutasteride

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Has anyone thought of switching meds? I asked Dr Feriduni about this but he didn't seem keen- would switching to Dut help me retain more hair? What do you think?

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Good question BW...

I must admit that I have heard about DUT but never researched into it but every now and again I mean to ask....

Does anyone know if its better than Fin ??

Cheers

Tim

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
i read somewhere that it should only be used if fin stops working as it carries a higher risk of side effects*nl

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
pulled this off a site.

DUTASTERIDE (Avodart ®)

This works on a similar principle to finasteride, but on a more powerful level. To date, it is licensed for treatment of enlarged prostates but not for hair loss. Although research has shown that it is more effective than finasteride in combating hair loss, the potential side effects are more common.

Last edited:
timuk

timuk

Cheers for the info Shang...

One more questions... I take Proscar, is this licensed for hair loss or just for prostate ?

Cheers

Tim

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Tim

Proscar is not meant to treat hairloss, nor it is licensed as such. We just buy/take it as a cheaper alternative to Propecia i.e. cutting the tablets into 1/4s or 1/5ths. However, when you do this it is difficult to measure how much you are taking in i.e you will not be taking in 1mg every day, but an average of 5mg every 5 days, and I wonder whether this would have a detrimental effect.

Cheers

BW

timuk

timuk

Cheers for the info all..

BW.. I read about taking Proscar and Propecia on another forum... I seem to remember its all about the levels of the active ingredient in your system dropping and not allowing this to happen....... I do not think that this happens overnight.. so having a tiny difference in dose from day to day should not make a difference .. I think..

I can only speak from experience.. I take one fifth of a Proscar tablet each day (around one fifth that is !!)and think I have had a very good response from this medication...

Cheers

Tim

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I would stick to Proscar if its working for you and maybe switch if it ever starts to lose its effect on you and your hairloss progresses.

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
I'm sure I read, when Dutasteride first came out, that it had/has quite a high rate of initial shedding. I seem to recall quite a few guys posting about their panic at this - I was curious about the drug at the time but decided to stick with Finasteride because of this. I could be mistaken but that's what I remember.

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
A bit more about Dutasteride

Dutasteride is the latest drug that developed to combat baldness: it is used by some patients. The drug was developed by Glaxo. This medicine has the same action as Finasteride but it is more potent. It is used and recommended in the treatment of hyperplasia prostatic. Nonetheless this drug did not obtain FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approval as a drug indicated for hair loss treatment.
Its immediate side effects are important and long-term side effects are yet unknown.

The Glaxo Company itself has recommended that this drug should not be used as a drug for the treatment of hair loss.

So it looks to me that if you start taking this drug, you are essentially a genie pig, but hey someone has to test it for the greater good.

Shang

Last edited:
M

markjoetay

You're right beardy. i don't understand why people recommend proscar for hairloss. Propecia (Finasteride) is the right medicine for Hairloss treatment. You can visit emedoutlet for more information.