• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

First FUE with Fortes Hair & Skin Clinic (London) - JayJay blog

J

JayJay

Hi!

Just completed my first FUE transplant with Dr. Saeed at Fortes Clinic.
Their consultation office is based in Harley Street but the surgery is performed at their North End Road clinic in Hammersmith (walking distance from High Street Kensington / West Kensington stations).

I researched quite a lot of clinics (mostly based in Harley street) and everyone wanted to drive me somewhere 100 miles outside of London or kept bugging me on Whatsapp. Fortes Clinic wasn't around for long but because Dr. Saeed was quite modest and knowledgeable, I went with him. He also works privately for NHS as an anaesthetist.

The procedure started at around 9am and finished around 5.30pm. Dr. Saeed was present alongside 3 technicians. I'd say he did 30-40% of the job:
  1. Took measurements, drew the lines and took photos
  2. Injected local anaesthetic
  3. Extracted 1/4th of hair follicles from the back of my head. The rest were done by technicians.
  4. Created incisions

The technicians were quite young - late 20s but seemed nice and knowledgeable. They didn't chat during the procedure and they swapped places every 30 minutes which was a great sign showing them concentrating. They started with 1's to build the hairline and then started blending 2's and 3's above it. The most uncomfortable part was lying on an uncomfortable chair with nowhere to put my arms to and your head starting to feel heavy. Otherwise I almost fell a sleep on a couple of occasions. I did feel a bit of pain on occasion as the anaesthetic hasn't covered some edges fully, but I wasn't bothered by it as I didn't suffer.

My profile:
Sex: Male
Norwood hairloss scale: 3
Race: White/Northern European
Hair type: Fine / dark blonde/ashy brown
Grafts: 2178

Nobody in my family ever got completely bald and they retained fine hair on their scalp but I hated my uneven hairline and thinned front. Even though I had a full head of hair, I decided to go with the hair transplant anyway. FYI I was on Finasteride for 1 year prior to surgery and it improved density in my hair as per photos below.

Timeline:

2015: My juvenile hairline with a raised temple I always hated
IMG_0699.JPG

2019: when I noticed hair thinning and receded hairline. I started taking Finasteride from then on.
IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

2020: Improved density and no more hair loss. Continued use of finasteride.
IMG_0621.jpg

Prior to surgery in December 2020: My scalp would be more visible if I didn't use a concealing spray.
IMG_0700.JPG

Surgery day: 11th December 2020 - At first I thought the proposed hairline was a bit low but it was an illusion since he shaved my existing hair upwards to improve density there too. You can see that the hairline has gown by no more than a finger and is more similar to my hairline in 2015 as I measured it by the crease on my forehead. I did tell the surgeon and technicians that maybe the hairline has to be even more rounded but they said my face is quite long and my sides aren't receding back so it would have looked weird otherwise. It's not exactly straight it's slightly tilted towards temples of course.

IMG_0703.JPG

After surgery:
IMG_0702.JPG

1 Day after surgery and gentle hair wash:
24D99792-FF5E-4058-989B-4E6ABAD04A61.jpeg

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Needle: 0.7MM
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg

The aftercare pack included shampoo, painkillers, saline spray, pillow protector, neck pillow and instructions. Dr. Saeed also prescribed antibiotics and steroids for 5 days.
The surgery will be followed by 3 prp treatments: one in 2 weeks, and the rest 4-5 weeks apart.

Overall I'm quite happy with the professionalism, I can only wait and see how this will come out!

Let me know what you think!

Best,
Jay

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jay.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.
To me your hairline looked fine as it was but everyone has their own perception of how they look. At first glance it does appear your hairline is low but if it's just before where it was then all is good. Placement wise does look straight but this can look different once grow out. Your donor area looks good, nice and clean.
Hopefully, with you being on Finasteride you won't lose any more hair and this HT will be the on,y one you'll need.
Heal and grow well.
All the best.
Bm.

J

JayJay

Thanks for your comments. Yes the hairline is now where it was 3-4 years ago.
in regards to my hairline before HT, I used to thicken and conceal it with products. I actually found some photos where it’s more “raw” :) As my hair loss stopped I felt it was a good time to do the improvement works.

2E56A8FC-DB72-4193-9207-41BF3DD87492.jpeg

44D406EA-19AF-4D3E-AEC8-576BDD6B8911.jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You concealed the thinning in the hairline very well. What product did you use?
I`ll look forward to following your journey and seeing your updates.

J

JayJay

You concealed the thinning in the hairline very well. What product did you use?
I`ll look forward to following your journey and seeing your updates.
I recommend Aveda thickening tonic or Nioxin Diaboost as a pre-styler.
Blow dry it in and then style with Moroccanoil texture clay (pea size amount, starting from the back and work it up). If thinning is progressed it’s good to use Nanogen fibre powder to conceal before applying clay/hair spray.
It’s also good to rinse hair with cold water and finish blow drying hair with cold air as it expands the hair strands.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve not heard of those products so thanks for the information. Others who have a thinning hairline will find it helpful.

J

JayJay

I`ve not heard of those products so thanks for the information. Others who have a thinning hairline will find it helpful.
That’s because they are not typical “fastfood products” sold in all supermarkets. They work very well! :)

J

JayJay

Day 9

Healing is going well. Yesterday was my first “contact wash” by using my fingers. Half of the scabs are gone, some of them contained hairs. No bleeding was present.
Started to worry about density now as there seems to be a lot of gaps but I’m assuming those hair grafts are well hidden under the skin and what I currently see on my scalp is just what’s visible. Let me know what you think of it ;)

9C9E6A39-BA47-4158-9706-F5A2B9019B8A.jpeg
9124EFB7-54DC-407E-A154-153776B508EE.jpeg
2F280021-02B0-4FA0-B2DC-E435C852EC60.jpeg

J

JayJay

Day 13

The front is note sore anymore although I started getting little spots there which is normal.
The back is still a bit pink and painful but nearly healed.
The transplant is growing super fast. I doubt it will fall off! I did notice about 8 doubles in my hairline but I was told it should be fine as I have naturally super fine hair and 95% of the hairline are singles. I remember people said you should not have anything else than singles in the hairline so it made me a bit nervous about the future result but lets see as that’s not too many.
895B95E5-A47C-4E9C-A202-8B83EBF11AC9.jpeg
99F83559-81C4-4F51-A258-88CF90EA1A2A.jpeg
DFC63B60-0320-4858-A034-031029A62D8B.jpeg

A5B98BB7-BABB-4C89-A7B0-D9DE555FD4C8.jpeg

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Id love to see an update too BM...Donor looks very clean I must say dude....not sure I would have pulled the trigger with that minimal loss personally but I can understand why you did....your pictures baffled the hell out of me if I'm honest as the photos looked great and your hairline didnt look too bad at all in the before pictures except the one without product applied.

Good luck with your healing and growth I wish you all the best and I hope you keep us updated.

J

JayJay

3 months 3 weeks update - a bit before the 4 month milestone as you were starting to chase :)

Thanks for the nice comments. If my hair receeded in a straight line, I probably wouldn’t have done it, but when people started noticing and mentioning my big forehead and “fu**ed up hairline, it wasn’t that good to hear and my appearance has changed on the photos to my liking.
I’m terribly tired of hiding my forehead with the hair I’ve got, makes me look like a chav. Thank god it’s still lockdown and I’m working mostly from home but here we go.

You can see my ziggy-zaggy natural hairline. New hair is peeking through. Still some redness visible. 3 PRP sessions.
Please note that with a hidden face and this camera - my forehead seems smaller than in reality.

The other day I have photoshopped my hairline to be where the transplant is - it looked good actually, just like I had it 4 years ago, maybe I’d have it 0.5cM higher but then it’d look weird with my temples as it calls for a squarer shape.

2A7B6003-C349-4C33-B34A-FBB20C1F06CB.jpeg
420C6101-1AA2-4DA1-85DF-6DB0151F5EF7.jpeg
B4C4540D-4467-4ACA-A09D-1B4F03E9DA98.jpeg
7F9BBBEA-CC52-445A-BB18-2AECEA78FDE7.jpeg

Donor area in natural light and sunlight. The top part is more visible but that’s probably my partner’s cheap home cut. A barber will lift it up slightly.

E4163A30-1688-4B80-9B98-0D31420BDCF7.jpeg
6CC90C45-205E-4548-B7B3-C18C726E0E0D.jpeg
E646AB47-EC63-4F3C-96A5-04B9FA497EE9.jpeg
3A3EAF18-72D2-4984-AA21-FF8F16241DB4.jpeg
F8E6CE20-109E-4222-B22F-BDBBBA63CCB0.jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jay, your donor looks very good and healthy. Your hairline growth popping through which shows the new shape. The redness is lingering for you, it will eventually go. If you do feel the need to venture out you should be able to disguise the transplanted area with your native hair combed forward.

S

SPat88

Hello @JayJay , how are you finding the donor area. It looks good with that length, do you find you can cut it shorter?

J

JayJay

Hello @JayJay , how are you finding the donor area. It looks good with that length, do you find you can cut it shorter?
Hi!
I usually go for 0/0.5 on sides and back and have a cut every 3-4 weeks. This current length is only due to lockdown and poor curring skills of my partner, I believe the upper border would be less visible if that bit was cut shorter
I’m quite happy because nobody noticed it at all. No scars were visible when I cut my hair to 0. The area was thinner due to shock loss but I think it’s coming back now. What do you think?

0.5 cut 1.5 months post FUE (January 2021).

My last cut in March 2021 looked even better.
3D656311-B8F8-43C8-B47A-1E40EA1EAA74.jpeg

37004A5F-F52E-41C1-B475-08C0225A54B6.jpeg

S

SPat88

Hey @JayJay, yeah was trying to work out which order you were describing, so effectivley the 0.5 in Jan 21 is the 1st one above which looks ultra short and your more recent cut in Mar 21 is the bottom where you had a 0.5?

I think it looks really good, it's been the one thing holding me back to be honest - the donor area and how it'll look at about a 1 or 2 shave for around 2000 grafts. Your hair when long you can't see anything whatsoever and the thickness is brilliant. When shorter it's more vulnerable but still I think it looks really good. I need my temples filled in to bring back my hairline so they've said 1,500 to 2,000 and I'm just hoping that I still look fairly full at the back when short. Essentially not moth eaten. I know some people are happy to sacrifice that but I don't think I am. So your posts definitely give me hope. If you do have any more shots at varying lengths I'd love to see them!

Your photos at 4.25pm yesterday are probably just a slight touch longer than where I prefer my hair at so what shave would that be?

Thanks again

J

JayJay

Hey @JayJay, yeah was trying to work out which order you were describing, so effectivley the 0.5 in Jan 21 is the 1st one above which looks ultra short and your more recent cut in Mar 21 is the bottom where you had a 0.5?

I think it looks really good, it's been the one thing holding me back to be honest - the donor area and how it'll look at about a 1 or 2 shave for around 2000 grafts. Your hair when long you can't see anything whatsoever and the thickness is brilliant. When shorter it's more vulnerable but still I think it looks really good. I need my temples filled in to bring back my hairline so they've said 1,500 to 2,000 and I'm just hoping that I still look fairly full at the back when short. Essentially not moth eaten. I know some people are happy to sacrifice that but I don't think I am. So your posts definitely give me hope. If you do have any more shots at varying lengths I'd love to see them!

Your photos at 4.25pm yesterday are probably just a slight touch longer than where I prefer my hair at so what shave would that be?

Thanks again
Hey! Both shave pics are from Jan 21. I did not take a pic in Mar 21 however, then you could not tell at all, because some hair that was lost due to shock loss and scrubbing grew back! I will update you by this weekend as I’m planning a new cut.
The 4.25pm post - I’m not sure what number that would be as my hair grew out, it’s about 5 weeks since my last cut. My sides are currently around 1,5cm long. I think the donor area is more visible with longer hair but again, my hair hasn’t been cut by a barber due to lockdown... let’s see how it’ll look a few months later.

My hair is quite fine at the top, but a little bit thicker and darker at the back. If your hair is of similar colour and profile, then go for it, if it’s thinner and lighter then discuss it with your surgeon. You may need to grow longer hair to conceal it. I’m fairly happy with how the back of my head looks with a fresh cut. My partner is quite blunt so I was told that it’s unnoticeable.
Please note that 0.7mm hole punch was used.
I’ve seen cases of 3000 grafts and hardly any signs of harvesting. Really depends on your hair colour, thickness and density.

MrPierre

MrPierre

Very interesting hairline choice. I've seen a lot of men going for this straighter defined look lately on the forums. Work looks good. Keep us posted over the months ahead!

J

JayJay

Very interesting hairline choice. I've seen a lot of men going for this straighter defined look lately on the forums. Work looks good. Keep us posted over the months ahead!
Thanks Pierre!

I didn’t even have a choice if I’m honest. My face is quite squareish/defined so a rounder hairline would have been strange when I checked. I did see a lot of round hairlines on this forum and when I asked my surgeon, he said it would look weird on me so that hairline was the only option suitable he said, especially because my lower temples/sides were not far back. He also asked his technicians what they thought. I am of course not sure how it will look but we just need to wait and see!
I’ve got a pretty wide/flatter top of the skull whilst many have it more egg-shaped hence the round design.

S

SPat88

Hey! Both shave pics are from Jan 21. I did not take a pic in Mar 21 however, then you could not tell at all, because some hair that was lost due to shock loss and scrubbing grew back! I will update you by this weekend as I’m planning a new cut.
The 4.25pm post - I’m not sure what number that would be as my hair grew out, it’s about 5 weeks since my last cut. My sides are currently around 1,5cm long. I think the donor area is more visible with longer hair but again, my hair hasn’t been cut by a barber due to lockdown... let’s see how it’ll look a few months later.

My hair is quite fine at the top, but a little bit thicker and darker at the back. If your hair is of similar colour and profile, then go for it, if it’s thinner and lighter then discuss it with your surgeon. You may need to grow longer hair to conceal it. I’m fairly happy with how the back of my head looks with a fresh cut. My partner is quite blunt so I was told that it’s unnoticeable.
Please note that 0.7mm hole punch was used.
I’ve seen cases of 3000 grafts and hardly any signs of harvesting. Really depends on your hair colour, thickness and density.
Hey yeah I really appreciate the responses. It would really be great to see how things are when you get a fresh cut! I'm really intrigued. It's interesting because I feel like my confidence would grow so much from having it done if I was confident about the donor area. My girlfriend reckons I don't need it as does a close friend but I have definitely receded in the temple and I really don't like how it looks. I've got light sowewhat between blonde and ginger wavy hair. I seem to have thin ish but quite full hair other than where it has receded. Like the density is more than good though. Been told I'd be ideal for it but I'm just so unsure.

Will take note about the punches and yeah I think I'll be about 1500-2000 depending on how they see it in person. I'm just so nervous to commit. So did you lose a lot at the back initially due to the shock loss?