• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE vs FUT

P

profilehair01

One of the most important decisions a patient needs to make is which type of hair transplant procedure to have: FUT or FUE.
In Follicular Unit Transplantation, a long, thin sliver of tissue removed from the donor area in the back and sides of the scalp and the individual follicular units are removed from that strip via stereo-microscopic dissection. The wound edges are then closed leaving a single, generally fine scar.
In Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair is harvested through small circular incisions over a considerably larger area of the donor zone leaving tiny, round, white scars.

FUE procedures have grown increasingly popular with the development of new handheld devices, but FUT procedures still provide excellent results and are considered excellent by many doctors.
main-qimg-e819a50e26a0f4ddb0cd29868983e604.jpg

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
FUT procedures still provide excellent results in the hands of experienced drs.
Yes I can agree to that.

However, patients have a choice now, and as a former FUE and FUT patient I would gladly shave down my hair to avoid FUT.

Let's further analyze the picture:
FUE requires a patient to shave the head: BUSTED

No, not true at all. I had the please of meeting a Brazilian dr that transplants 2000-3000 grafts via FUE without shaving at all.

1-3 hair grafts are removed: BUSTED

Yes, this is in fact the majority of the grafts as 4 hair grafts or more are quite rare. But an experienced practitioner will extract those 4 and 5 hair grafts as well, no problem. Let me dig into our archives and try to get some pictures:

Let's add some ingredients.
The largest procedures, in total amount of grafts transplanted on the same patient: FUE (I believe it is over 11000 grafts)

Sorry, but it's been a while since I participated in a classic FUT and FUE head to head compare, hence .....

baldasabadger10

baldasabadger10

Valued member
If someone wanted a one time transplant and opted for a very large surgery which method would be best?

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
A one time transplant is a myth.
Nobody can predict future hair loss, nor can anyone predict that you will stick with your hairloss regime.

But to answer the question:
You would have to have a combination of both FUE and FUT done. I believe the first day a FUT procedure is used and the following day the area around the scar will be used for FUE harvesting.

R

reddwarf

Thanks Profilehair01 for posting the diagram. Do many clinics still do FUT these days then?, all the adverts and all the online media seems to suggest that FUE is the main method used these days.