• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE with Doctor Ozlem Bicer (Istanbul)

S

slaphead35

FUE with Doctor Ozlem Bicer (Istanbul, Turkey)
Dec 2020

My Story, Alan - U.K.

7 years ago at the age of 35 I decided to get my first hair transplant procedure. At this time I didn’t know much about these procedures so put my trust in a company and surgeon in the U.K.
They talked me into getting the FUT procedure because it was more affordable and I would have a nice result. I was so desperate to fix my hair loss that I convinced myself the FUT strip scar wouldn’t be an issue for me. In my desperation I decided to go ahead with the procedure and unfortunately it became clear some months later that I had made a big mistake using this company. My result was very poor, the surgeon or should I say technicians who did most of the procedure, gave me a hairline but almost no hair coverage behind the hairline so I was left with a gap before my natural hair line started.
They stitched my FUT scar which took a long time to heal and my scar had stretched in some areas.
I was extremely depressed and anxious about my appearance, even more now then before I had the procedure, I knew I had to try and fix this mess.
I spent months researching other surgeons in the U.K. and educating myself about hair transplant procedures, then approximately 14 months after the first procedure I found another surgeon in the U.K. The plan with this surgeon was to remove my over stretched strip scar and use the grafts to fill in some of the area behind the hairline so my appearance looked more natural. Thankfully I’d made a much better decision this time, the surgeon used staples this time for my strip scar and it healed much better. The grafts that he had to work with he used to fill in the gap the first surgeon had created behind the hairline to give a more natural look . Although I was much happier, the density was never as good as I’d hoped, this was all due the mess the first surgeon/technicians had created.

Doctor Ozlem Bicer (Istanbul,Turkey)

7 years after my first procedure I started to notice thinning in my crown area. I decided I wanted another procedure to fill in my crown and add more density to my frontal area. I was interested in trying FUE this time. I already had a relatively thin strip scar which I didn’t want to risk having removed again. I was interested in having a procedure in Turkey because I had a couple of friends who had been to Turkey and their result was really good.
I found Doctor Ozlem Bicer’s name on Spencer Stevenson’s (SPEX) website and i trust this guy not to be recommending bad surgeons. I started to research Doctor Bicer and I was very impressed with the reviews I found. I contacted her patient coordinator Ozen and she answered all my questions and sent me pictures of previous patient results.
I was speaking with 2 other clinics in Turkey at the same time, both of which were offering a much lower priced package then Doctor Bicer’s clinic. My instinct was telling me Doctor Bicer was the right Surgeon to choose for the reasons below –

• Recommended surgeon by Spencer Stevenson (SPEX)
• Member of International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
• Fully licenced clinic
• Over 20 years experience
• The clinic only treats 1 patient per day
• Experienced team focussed on you only
• Very positive reviews and impressive previous patient results
• Patient coordinator Ozen available almost 24/7answering all my questions
• Added bonus for me the Doctor said she would plant grafts into my strip scar

My decision was made, I wasn’t going to let the cheaper packages tempt me, I’d made that mistake before. I wanted a quality surgeon with a good record so I was happy to pay a little extra for piece of mind.

Travelling to Turkey and the procedure

I was a little nervous travelling to Turkey on my own but it turned out to be very easy and an enjoyable experience. It was made easy because of the help of Ozen, she arranged my pick up and hotel stay and even stayed awake until 2am the night I arrived to make sure I arrived safely at the hotel. She was always there texting me to make sure I was ok and giving me the details I needed.
The hotel is right across the street from the clinic so it’s very convenient on the day of the procedure because you don’t have to travel.
I arrived at 8am and met with Ozen, Doctor Bicer was very welcoming and discussed the plan before she started the procedure. She completed the more skilled parts of the procedure and was assisted by her technicians for graft placement and other duties, but she is present all day. The majority of the procedure was pain free but removing 3200 grafts is a long process and I did start become a little restless and start to feel some pain the longer the process went on. I arrived at the clinic at 8am and didnt leave until after 7pm so it was a long tiring day. They gave me some medication to take away, some of which was pain medication which came in very useful on the first night. I started to feel some pain and couldn’t sleep, I took the pain tablet and it helped a lot , I slept for 6 hours and woke feeling totally fine.
Day 2, I went back to the clinic and met with Doctor Bicer again to get my bandage removed and take my first proper look at her work. I was very happy, I could tell a lot of grafts had been extracted and the positioning looked very tight, so I was happy.

FUE vs FUT in my opinion

After experiencing both FUE and FUT procedures I can see that both have their positive and negative points. I found that FUT felt more invasive due to the removal of the strip of skin and the fact you are left with a pretty big scar for the rest of your life. I chose non shaven for both my FUT procedures and I was never fully happy with the result. I think it makes it more difficult for the surgeon to see where the grafts need to be placed. The positive of FUT for me was that the procedure didn’t seem to take as long and I don’t remember feeling as uncomfortable and restless in the operating chair.

FUE, although I found to be a much longer slightly more uncomfortable process, I feel if you opt for fully shaven it will yield the best results.
If I could turn back time I would have never had an FUT procedure , it wasn’t long after my fist procedure that I started to regret the huge scar on the back of my head. If I had my time again I would have chosen fully shaven FUE at the start, it would have mostly likely saved me thousands of pounds and i possibly might have only needed 1 or maybe 2 procedures by this stage in my life.

My advice

If your thinking of having a procedure my advise would be to go for it and choose FUE.
I have experienced procedures good and bad and would say the most important thing is to do your research, DON’T RUSH IN.
The UK has some great surgeons but unfortunately the cost is so overpriced that I would definitely recommend going to Turkey after the experience I have just had.
There are many places in Turkey offering this procedure and for a really low price but don’t make the mistake I made the first time around in the UK, You get what you pay for in life.
Doctor Bicer is a quality surgeon and in my opinion the service you get from her clinic is at the same level as the top clinic i chose in the UK for my second procedure.
I’m only 3 days post op writing this but I can already tell by the graft placement that my result should be a good one. Obviously only time will tell but I’m very confident. I have experienced 3 different procedures at 3 different clinics and everything about my procedure in Turkey with Doctor Bicer felt right.

I hope this can help somebody who is thinking of traveling to Turkey for a procedure…..

Attachments

• 72AF1D74-1223-46D8-BB3F-97F0EDF6362D.png
    72AF1D74-1223-46D8-BB3F-97F0EDF6362D.png
    779.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 25547009-D033-41F5-988A-FD17F2A7DE73.png
    25547009-D033-41F5-988A-FD17F2A7DE73.png
    757.2 KB · Views: 443
  • C2FDAEB2-8C0B-44C3-8410-2F31DC1FDB97.png
    C2FDAEB2-8C0B-44C3-8410-2F31DC1FDB97.png
    590 KB · Views: 418
P

Philwhitehouseuk

Hi mate
Glad u had a good result mate
I also spoke to spex who told me all uk clinics were bad and he was working for dr feller who I went to to fix my poor transplant
Anyhow I got a crap result with dr feller and he also gave me another strip scar above my old one ????
I'm now left with 2 big strip scars and transplants that stick outwards and look natraul
So I had a bad experience with spex and dr feller
See spex dont work for dr feller no more ??????
Anyhow good luck with u result
Hope u get what u want

S

slaphead35

So sorry to hear about your bad experience mate.
Can’t believe they didn’t just do FUE on you, and plant grafts into your old scar.
There’s so many sharks out there.
Hopefully we can save some of the future transplant patients by posting our stories.

S

slaphead35

Dec 2020

My Story, Alan - U.K.

7 years ago at the age of 35 I decided to get my first hair transplant procedure. At this time I didn’t know much about these procedures so put my trust in a company and surgeon in the U.K.
They talked me into getting the FUT procedure because it was more affordable and I would have a nice result. I was so desperate to fix my hair loss that I convinced myself the FUT strip scar wouldn’t be an issue for me. In my desperation I decided to go ahead with the procedure and unfortunately it became clear some months later that I had made a big mistake using this company. My result was very poor, the surgeon or should I say technicians who did most of the procedure, gave me a hairline but almost no hair coverage behind the hairline so I was left with a gap before my natural hair line started.
They stitched my FUT scar which took a long time to heal and my scar had stretched in some areas.
I was extremely depressed and anxious about my appearance, even more now then before I had the procedure, I knew I had to try and fix this mess.
I spent months researching other surgeons in the U.K. and educating myself about hair transplant procedures, then approximately 14 months after the first procedure I found another surgeon in the U.K. The plan with this surgeon was to remove my over stretched strip scar and use the grafts to fill in some of the area behind the hairline so my appearance looked more natural. Thankfully I’d made a much better decision this time, the surgeon used staples this time for my strip scar and it healed much better. The grafts that he had to work with he used to fill in the gap the first surgeon had created behind the hairline to give a more natural look . Although I was much happier, the density was never as good as I’d hoped, this was all due the mess the first surgeon/technicians had created.

7 years after my first procedure I started to notice thinning in my crown area. I decided I wanted another procedure to fill in my crown and add more density to my frontal area. I was interested in trying FUE this time. I already had a relatively thin strip scar which I didn’t want to risk having removed again. I was interested in having a procedure in Turkey because I had a couple of friends who had been to Turkey and their result was really good.
I found Doctor Ozlem Bicer’s name on Spencer Stevenson’s (SPEX) website and i trust this guy not to be recommending bad surgeons. I started to research Doctor Bicer and I was very impressed with the reviews I found. I contacted her patient coordinator Ozen and she answered all my questions and sent me pictures of previous patient results.
I was speaking with 2 other clinics in Turkey at the same time, both of which were offering a much lower priced package then Doctor Bicer’s clinic. My instinct was telling me Doctor Bicer was the right Surgeon to choose for the reasons below –

• Fully licenced clinic

My decision was made, I wasn’t going to let the cheaper packages tempt me, I’d made that mistake before. I wanted a quality surgeon with a good record so I was happy to pay a little extra for piece of mind.

I was a little nervous travelling to Turkey on my own but it turned out to be very easy and an enjoyable experience. It was made easy because of the help of Ozen, she arranged my pick up and hotel stay and even stayed awake until 2am the night I arrived to make sure I arrived safely at the hotel. She was always there texting me to make sure I was ok and giving me the details I needed.
The hotel is right across the street from the clinic so it’s very convenient on the day of the procedure because you don’t have to travel.
I arrived at 8am and met with Ozen, Doctor Bicer was very welcoming and discussed the plan before she started the procedure. She completed the more skilled parts of the procedure and was assisted by her technicians for graft placement and other duties, but she is present all day. The majority of the procedure was pain free but removing 3200 grafts is a long process and I did start become a little restless and start to feel some pain the longer the process went on. I arrived at the clinic at 8am and didnt leave until after 7pm so it was a long tiring day. They gave me some medication to take away, some of which was pain medication which came in very useful on the first night. I started to feel some pain and couldn’t sleep, I took the pain tablet and it helped a lot , I slept for 6 hours and woke feeling totally fine.
Day 2, I went back to the clinic and met with Doctor Bicer again to get my bandage removed and take my first proper look at her work. I was very happy, I could tell a lot of grafts had been extracted and the positioning looked very tight, so I was happy.

FUE vs FUT in my opinion

After experiencing both FUE and FUT procedures I can see that both have their positive and negative points. I found that FUT felt more invasive due to the removal of the strip of skin and the fact you are left with a pretty big scar for the rest of your life. I chose non shaven for both my FUT procedures and I was never fully happy with the result. I think it makes it more difficult for the surgeon to see where the grafts need to be placed. The positive of FUT for me was that the procedure didn’t seem to take as long and I don’t remember feeling as uncomfortable and restless in the operating chair.

FUE, although I found to be a much longer slightly more uncomfortable process, I feel if you opt for fully shaven it will yield the best results.
If I could turn back time I would have never had an FUT procedure , it wasn’t long after my fist procedure that I started to regret the huge scar on the back of my head. If I had my time again I would have chosen fully shaven FUE at the start, it would have mostly likely saved me thousands of pounds and i possibly might have only needed 1 or maybe 2 procedures by this stage in my life.

My advice

If your thinking of having a procedure my advise would be to go for it and choose FUE.
I have experienced procedures good and bad and would say the most important thing is to do your research, DON’T RUSH IN.
The UK has some great surgeons but unfortunately the cost is so overpriced that I would definitely recommend going to Turkey after the experience I have just had.
There are many places in Turkey offering this procedure and for a really low price but don’t make the mistake I made the first time around in the UK, You get what you pay for in life.
Doctor Bicer is a quality surgeon and in my opinion the service you get from her clinic is at the same level as the top clinic i chose in the UK for my second procedure.
I’m only 3 days post op writing this but I can already tell by the graft placement that my result should be a good one. Obviously only time will tell but I’m very confident. I have experienced 3 different procedures at 3 different clinics and everything about my procedure in Turkey with Doctor Bicer felt right.

I hope this can help somebody who is thinking of traveling to Turkey for a procedure…..

Attachments

• 7E940B48-70CF-4DD8-83BE-6D2DD6FA5A17.jpeg
    7E940B48-70CF-4DD8-83BE-6D2DD6FA5A17.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 387
  • CA487963-0DCC-4516-A764-545C750B0BC5.jpeg
    CA487963-0DCC-4516-A764-545C750B0BC5.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 337
  • A80E7BBD-2D14-414D-BFE4-674002CCCB9C.jpeg
    A80E7BBD-2D14-414D-BFE4-674002CCCB9C.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 379
P

Philwhitehouseuk

I know
Yeah I just wanna help young guys on the forums
Yeah the hair industry is dangerous
I thought with a dr like DR ALAN FELLER I'd get a really good result
He gave me a second scar ????
Anyhow put that behind me now
Now trying to get fixed
All the best mate

R

Ronaldo18

Dec 2020

My Story, Alan - U.K.

• Fully licenced clinic

FUE vs FUT in my opinion

My advice

Hi mate just read your journey really happy for you and yes dr bicer seems very caring professional and her work seems amazing. I’m just curious as to why she relatively cheap in terms of cost (1.35per graft) compared to the others I have been looking at? They are dr hakan DOGANY-AHD (2€)
HLC Ankara (2.7€)
Bruno Ferreira Portugal (2.5€)

S

slaphead35

Hi mate , I don't really know the answer to that. What I would say though is Doctor Bicer only treats 1 patient per day and her team was quite small. A lot of the clinics in Turkey are like hair transplant factory’s, multiple patients each day so maybe they have more technicians to pay.
I can only compare my treatment with Doctor Bicer to my previous treatments in the U.K. and i could tell that she is a quality surgeon. Well worth the price she charges in my opinion.

duffman

duffman

Valued member
Hi. How many grafts did you get planted in to your strip scar? Are you managing to sleep ok with out putting any pressure on these graphs?

S

slaphead35

Hi, the main focus was to place grafts in my frontal area and crown. My scar isn’t to wide and already has some hair growing out of some areas. Doctor Bicer said she planted around 200 grafts to help disguise it a little more. Yes , it has been difficult sleeping. The first 3-4 nights were probably the worst but I’m 7 days recovered now and sleeping isn’t a problem. I have been sleeping on my side trying to keep just my cheek on the pillow.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Slaphead.
Sorry to hear you originally had a poor surgery and needed a second to repair it. The 2nd scar is stretched a little but I'd guess it's much better than the first. The 200 grafts should make a decent concealment.
It's good that your experience with Dr Bicer was a very positive one. Those 3200 grafts should make a nice difference for you.
You look to be healing well at 5 days.
Looking forward to following your progress.
Thanks for sharing your story and all the best.

S

slaphead35

Quick 8 day recovery update.
Still some redness and itching but all is well.
I think my scar looks wider than it actually is.
Doctor Bicer didn’t extracted hair from directly above or below the scar and that hair is now more prominent. Hopefully all the hair growth will catch up in a few weeks.

very happy with my recovery so far

Attachments

• B73450D1-4D76-476F-8F5D-16B2F964016F.png
    B73450D1-4D76-476F-8F5D-16B2F964016F.png
    686.2 KB · Views: 353
  • BC264924-C06D-45A9-BCFC-A9E29EBF655D.png
    BC264924-C06D-45A9-BCFC-A9E29EBF655D.png
    668.2 KB · Views: 296
  • 4BA1DFDF-1E4F-4758-AAE8-855F7F19719B.png
    4BA1DFDF-1E4F-4758-AAE8-855F7F19719B.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 303
  • F65DF203-2981-4455-AD6E-9C8064038193.png
    F65DF203-2981-4455-AD6E-9C8064038193.png
    668.8 KB · Views: 304
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Everything looks like it has healed very well. Not removing grafts directly above and below the scar will help with the concealment.
The redness can linger for a while. How about the itching, has it gone?

S

slaphead35

Hi , the itching has gone , I still have some redness but all the scabs have long gone. Feeling quite anxious at the moment though because my donor isn't growing like the rest of my head. I think I have suffered shock loss in the donor area. Day 16 recovery so still early days but it is a little worrying. I’m back using my own shampoo (grow MD) and started to use my laser cap so hopefully this will help growth. I have started to shed hair in the front area but lot of transplanted hair is still there and growing.

Attachments

• 94E2EC29-51E9-4519-BFCF-EC07C0546874.png
    94E2EC29-51E9-4519-BFCF-EC07C0546874.png
    676.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 00A20B04-5144-4FE8-B330-C3D96832A667.png
    00A20B04-5144-4FE8-B330-C3D96832A667.png
    608.3 KB · Views: 235
  • EF2C0C79-E50B-4962-BB4B-E13486426902.png
    EF2C0C79-E50B-4962-BB4B-E13486426902.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 8EC5674F-C68C-48FB-99CF-5E257C584E43.png
    8EC5674F-C68C-48FB-99CF-5E257C584E43.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 305
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear the itching has gone. Your donor may be suffering from some shock loss due to the trauma and may take a little longer to recover. The rest of your hairs may still shed or you could be lucky where they continue to grow. Other than that you look to be healing ok

D

Dman

Hi mate, how many grafts did you have in your crown. Would you recommend dr Bicer ? Thanks

S

slaphead35

Hi mate, how many grafts did you have in your crown. Would you recommend dr Bicer ? Thanks
Hi mate , I had 3200 grafts total, 900 placed in the crown, 200 planted in my old FUT scar and the rest distributed in the front. Yes , from the experience I had with Doctor Bicer and her team I would definitely recommend. Communication before and after the procedure has been excellent. The trip to Turkey and the procedure went very smoothly. I have had 2 previous FUT procedures in the U.K, one good and one very bad and I can honestly say you would be in safe hands with Doctor Bicer.

D

Dman

Hi mate , I had 3200 grafts total, 900 placed in the crown, 200 planted in my old FUT scar and the rest distributed in the front. Yes , from the experience I had with Doctor Bicer and her team I would definitely recommend. Communication before and after the procedure has been excellent. The trip to Turkey and the procedure went very smoothly. I have had 2 previous FUT procedures in the U.K, one good and one very bad and I can honestly say you would be in safe hands with Doctor Bicer.
Thanks mate. Has the 900 grafts give you a good density as looking on getting my crown done. Have you got a jog before and after of your crown? I’ve seen her work on Instagram etc and seen good reviews on here so she seems good mate. Thanks for getting back to me

S

slaphead35

Thanks mate. Has the 900 grafts give you a good density as looking on getting my crown done. Have you got a jog before and after of your crown? I’ve seen her work on Instagram etc and seen good reviews on here so she seems good mate. Thanks for getting back to me
I’m only 4 weeks post op so have a long way to go before I can tell how my crown will look.
All the grafts have shed now so I’m back to where I started. I have attached a picture of my crown before the procedure and immediately after to give you an idea of what 900 grafts looked like.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

9ED0CA50-F94A-4996-8244-90907B8A0D76.png

C1E3EBDB-5400-4BA7-8813-F0A8B34E7C9E.png

S

slaphead35

Thanks mate. Wish you luck in the coming months ahead
Hi Dman, sorry I just need to correct myself. I told you I had 900 grafts in my crown but it was around 500-600.

I’m sure if you speak with Doctor Bicer she will advise you on what amount would be best for you.