• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair Care after Transplant (After 1st year and beyond)

M

mike865

Hi all,

Apologies if there is a section for this/similar post. Had a look but couldn't find much on hair care beyond the initial 1-12 weeks of transplant.

Here's my situation...

I've had a couple of FUE transplants on my receding hairline over the last 5-6 years. After 1 year the results are great (I went to a good doctor in Turkey), but after 18 months I begin to notice the new hairs are thinning. Hence why I've had to go back and get the same area filled.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong with my hair/scalp care? I do notice that that area of my scalp does get dry quite easily, so I switched to using baby shampoo all the time, and a conditioner. I've also stopped using minoxidyl on the area because that seems to make it dry too and worry its having more of a negative affect than it will positive. I don't know if the dry skin is causing an issue to the grafts, but I'm just trying to take every precaution.

But my question is, what should I be doing do keep those grafts healthy? Any particular shampoos/treatments that work? I obviously can't keep going back for more grafts to thicken the same area as I'll quickly run out of donor hair.

Advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you got any before, immediately post op and now that you can show? Also, any donor extraction pictures immediately post op?
Grafts from the donor zone can be susceptible to DHT but I doubt you would have enough of them to see a difference this quickly.
Are you sure it's the transplanted hairs and not your native hair? What explanation has the clinic offered?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Hair taken from the designated safe area doesn`t need any special type of aftercare once you pass 2 weeks... Keeping your scalp clean, eating a good diet, maybe some supplements. I would see what your clinic has to say and then see your own GP in case you have something else going on within your body.