• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair Restoration Result with Medications only

D

Dr. Bill Parsley

Valued member
This 36 y/o male with a 10 year history of gradually worsening hair loss came in wanting a hair transplant. We decided to check the response to medication first. The results at one year are presented, but it is currently just as strong 6 years later. Sorry I didn't take a "before" picture from the left side but I think the thinning was obvious. He is very happy and doesn't desire surgery at this time.

6613_261645_510000004.jpg
6613_261645_510000003.jpg

6613_261645_500000002.jpg
6613_261645_500000001.jpg

6613_261645_500000000.jpg

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
That's an awesome result for meds alone and he must be overjoyed. I'm guessing he's on Propecia and Minoxidil. Out of curiosity does he use branded Propecia or generic finasteride?
Thanks for sharing this with us on here Dr Parsley.;)

garageland

garageland

Valued member
Looks great and thanks for posting. I have seen many great transformation on medication alone although patients should be aware that improvements like this just from meds are the exception rather than the rule.

C

Coopman

Valued member
This is quite similar to the results I have had with Finasteride. I'm almost a 15year fin veteran, whilst I have lost some ground it's nothing that a little FUE wouldn't sort out.

The best results I have seen from fin are with similar hair loss pattern profiles. What I mean is a lot of miniaturisation .
Bullitnut you mentioned generic or branded Finasteride. In my experience I honestly think some bgeneric Finasteride that I have tried was not the real deal. If I stop taking fin for say 6mths my hair starts miniaturising, I have had a similar experience when I have changed supplier for generic fin.

Last edited:
F

ford

These pictures are from 2010, right ? Knowing which medications and dosage amounts prescribed would be useful. Will the patient provide 2016 pictures ?

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
This is a fantastic result. Thank you for sharing, Dr. Parsely. Go Vols!
Coopman, there is absolutely a difference between generic finasteride and name brand Proscar/Propecia. I noticed this years ago when generic was first available and I started getting patients calling in to tell me that their "Proscar stopped working". Up to this point I hadn't really heard of this problem but the correlation was clear. The problem has to do with standards and consistency, or the lack thereof. Generics can be fine but in the end, I think sticking with the original is the best course of action.

True and Dorin Medical Group

True and Dorin Medical Group

Valued member
i'm glad this was posted as well. Finasteride gets a bad rap but has been invaluable to so many of our patients including myself. Medical therapy should always be encouraged or at the very least discussed thoroughly particularly with younger patients as a precursor to or critical adjunct to hair transplants

C

Coopman

Valued member
Joe

I read something you wrote about generic Finasteride a while ago and wholeheartedly agree with you.

It's easy to forget when we don't know the real origins of certain generic brands.

D

Dr. Bill Parsley

Valued member
Apologies for the late response. The patients regime is Propecia and Rogaine.
Thank you all for the kind comments.

J

jhardman

valued member
OMG, this is insane, what a result this guy has achieved.

R

Rajiv Kumar

Doctor this is unbelievable. is there any side effects of this Propecia and Rogaine on Sexual health? and at what time period anybody will get these type of results?