• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair Transplant aged 19

J

J19C

Hello good people. I first noticed my hair was thinning aged 16. 3 years later people are beginning to mention it in conversation which is unsettling. I am seriously thinking of addressing this with a hair transplant. Hair loss drugs are not an option I want to consider.
I reached out to a number of clinics, they said I should wait, but I want it sorting now.

I found a clinic in Turkey that confirmed I am suitable for 2500-3000 grafts with the Sapphire DHI method. The clinic name is Estepera and the results on the website look amazing. They say 18 is the minimum age.

I do not want to live out me my youth suffering from anxiety and being self conscious about my appearance. I want to be happy and enjoy life.

Can anyone throw some light on my situation and help me out?

Techno1

Techno1

I say this with your best interests, please do not do this! 19 is too young. Hair loss is progressive, meaning without any efforts to stabilize it you will lose more. Any clinic willing to operate on teenagers is unethical unless it is medical reasons such as burns or damage due to an accident.

J

J19C

Hello Techno. I hear what you are saying, but my situation is dire right now. Miserable is an understatement. If I had 5 - 10 years of good hair it would get me through these difficult times. By the time I hit 30 I should be settled down with a family of my own, I can deal with any issues then. Hair might not be important then, who knows, but I do know I want to enjoy life to the full in my youth.

Philw

Mate do not have a hair transplant at 19 yrs
I had my first transplant when.i was 23 yrs old without using meds
Guess what i lost more hair behind the transplant,so needed another one at 28 yrs old without meds guess what lost more hair again so im stuck
If u are really worried about ur loss first try to get a shorter hair style it could work
If that dont work u really need to wait
But deffo need to go on meds before anything which i know u dont want to do so its a difficult one

S

smokeybacon

You have been given the best advise from people here but you will probably ignore as it´s not what you want to hear. What did you expect anyone to say here? A hair transplant is a good idea at 19. It´s an awful idea. If life is not going your way a hair transplant will probably make it worse and if hair is important to you now it will be no different in a few years time, wife and family or not. I am sure no one wishes you ill will here. But not listening to experienced people who have gone through it is not good sense from you.

Philw

We are all here to help u
Im now 41 yrs old and hairloss dont bother me now,and i was obsessed by my hair when i was ur age
Im now left with 2 big strip scars,poorly angled hair transplants and hairloss around the transplants
Please pal listen to us k
Wish u the best

C

Coopman

Valued member
Holy crap! You are 19 and want a hair transplant! Do not even consider it! You will end up in a very bad position.

You say hair loss drugs are something you do not want to consider. Dude, if you don’t start hair meds the rest of your hair will slowly fall out. You need to at least start Rogaine which may maintain and help regrow your hair for up to 3 years but Finasteride is the only medication that can halt your loss.

No reputable Clinic will give you a hair transplant at your age and very few clinics would give give you a hair transplant at 25 if you are not on hair loss meds.

Take a step back and whatever you do, don’t consider having a hair transplant.

Take care of yourself and think logically.

J

J19C

Thank you for all the replies. It is quite overwhelming, but sadly, not what I wanted to hear. I do understand you all want what is best for me. I will answer individually.

J

J19C

I say this with your best interests, please do not do this! 19 is too young. Hair loss is progressive, meaning without any efforts to stabilize it you will lose more. Any clinic willing to operate on teenagers is unethical unless it is medical reasons such as burns or damage due to an accident.

No medical reasons, just plain old MPB. What if my hair loss did not progress further? Not everyone continues to a full balding pattern.

J

J19C

Mate do not have a hair transplant at 19 yrs
I had my first transplant when.i was 23 yrs old without using meds
Guess what i lost more hair behind the transplant,so needed another one at 28 yrs old without meds guess what lost more hair again so im stuck
If u are really worried about ur loss first try to get a shorter hair style it could work
If that dont work u really need to wait
But deffo need to go on meds before anything which i know u dont want to do so its a difficult one

My family all have decent hair. I am the only one affected by it. What if it does not progress? I am not prepared to risk the hair loss drugs right now.

J

J19C

You have been given the best advise from people here but you will probably ignore as it´s not what you want to hear. What did you expect anyone to say here? A hair transplant is a good idea at 19. It´s an awful idea. If life is not going your way a hair transplant will probably make it worse and if hair is important to you now it will be no different in a few years time, wife and family or not. I am sure no one wishes you ill will here. But not listening to experienced people who have gone through it is not good sense from you.

I hear what you are saying and appreciate your honesty, even if it is brutally honest. What if I do not lose more hair? I would have wasted years of being miserable when I could have been happy.

J

J19C

We are all here to help u
Im now 41 yrs old and hairloss dont bother me now,and i was obsessed by my hair when i was ur age
Im now left with 2 big strip scars,poorly angled hair transplants and hairloss around the transplants
Please pal listen to us k
Wish u the best

I am taking everything onboard.

J

J19C

Holy crap! You are 19 and want a hair transplant! Do not even consider it! You will end up in a very bad position.

You say hair loss drugs are something you do not want to consider. Dude, if you don’t start hair meds the rest of your hair will slowly fall out. You need to at least start Rogaine which may maintain and help regrow your hair for up to 3 years but Finasteride is the only medication that can halt your loss.

No reputable Clinic will give you a hair transplant at your age and very few clinics would give give you a hair transplant at 25 if you are not on hair loss meds.

Take a step back and whatever you do, don’t consider having a hair transplant.

Take care of yourself and think logically.

I am young but my family history is one of no hair loss. My two older siblings 24 and 25 have full heads of hair. I could have a 50/50 chance of losing no more ground. I sure do have a lot of thinking to do.

Philw

U need to send us pics then so we can see
U have to remember a hair transplant causes trauma and shockloss to the orignal hair u have and sometimes that hair dont come back
Pleaae mate listen to us
My dad is not bald and i have a twin brother who has the best hairline ever and i went bald at the front
I have this terrible feeling u will.just go ahead with surgery

C

Coopman

Valued member
J19C
I would not consider your hair loss pattern/potential future hairloss based on your siblings. Male pattern baldness can escape generations.

If i were 19 and in a similar position to you (friends noticing your hair is thinning) then i would start using Rogaine immediately (its £25 for a 3mth supply of the liquid or £40 for a 3mth supply of the foam, the foam drys in 5 minutes). In 3-4 months time your hair could really thicken up and go back to where it was 2 years ago.

Finasteride is about £45 for a 3month supply. This drug can maintain your hair and stop further loss, it has maintained my hair for 20 years. Get on google and do some research and make an informed decision if its for you.

Finally if you are destined to be bald completely by your mid 20’s or have an advanced hair loss pattern. You only have a limited number of grafts for a hair transplant. Let’s say you have 5000 grafts, that is typically 12000 hairs that is nowhere near enough to keep your head warm in winter and would give an overall thin look. If they bodge the hair transplant and you only get 50% growth then there is no return from that. This is why you need to do all you can to maintain your existing hair.

If you want to hide the thinning appearance of your hair, buy some Toppik. But remember less is best and only do a light dusting otherwise it will look fake.

Good luck.

S

smokeybacon

I would guess, that most if not all the replies here come from guys twice your age with about 100 times your life experience, including dealing with hair loss. But because it´s not what you want to hear you will probably discard the help. Not sure that makes any sense when you have been given very good help and advise. It would be good to see your pictures and hair loss stage.

MCAN Clinic

MCAN Clinic

Hello J19C, you mentioned you experience hair loss but also that you are nineteen years old,and usually a hair transplant treatment is not advised to men who are under the age of 21.Here is an explanation.
A hair transplant implements hair to the areas where the hair is thinning and/or the completely bald areas.The grafts which are hair follicles taken from the donor area are transplanted into the recipient areas where there is no or few hair.
When a man under the age of 21 experiences hair loss,at this stage the hair loss process isn't always complete,meaning it might continue.Also the pattern and the progression of hair loss isn't fully revealed in most cases in men under the age of 21.
Since you are 19 , I recommend waiting a few years more to get a hair transplant,21 is a better age to get a treatment,so that you will not need more than one treatment and you won't weaken the donor area with multiple hair transplant procedures.
After reaching the age of 21 you can see a hair transplant surgeon to evaluate your hair loss pattern and choose the best option for a successful hair transplant treatment.

Techno1

Techno1

No medical reasons, just plain old MPB. What if my hair loss did not progress further? Not everyone continues to a full balding pattern.

Chances are you will progress further which is the reason everyone is saying to wait.

J

J19C

U need to send us pics then so we can see
U have to remember a hair transplant causes trauma and shockloss to the orignal hair u have and sometimes that hair dont come back
Pleaae mate listen to us
My dad is not bald and i have a twin brother who has the best hairline ever and i went bald at the front
I have this terrible feeling u will.just go ahead with surgery

I am listening to everything. With the non existent information available I will pass for now and wait several years before making a final judgement.

J

J19C

Hello J19C, you mentioned you experience hair loss but also that you are nineteen years old,and usually a hair transplant treatment is not advised to men who are under the age of 21.Here is an explanation.
A hair transplant implements hair to the areas where the hair is thinning and/or the completely bald areas.The grafts which are hair follicles taken from the donor area are transplanted into the recipient areas where there is no or few hair.
When a man under the age of 21 experiences hair loss,at this stage the hair loss process isn't always complete,meaning it might continue.Also the pattern and the progression of hair loss isn't fully revealed in most cases in men under the age of 21.
Since you are 19 , I recommend waiting a few years more to get a hair transplant,21 is a better age to get a treatment,so that you will not need more than one treatment and you won't weaken the donor area with multiple hair transplant procedures.
After reaching the age of 21 you can see a hair transplant surgeon to evaluate your hair loss pattern and choose the best option for a successful hair transplant treatment.

I have decided I will wait to see if my loss continues.