• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

hair transplant journey part 2

Masher

Masher

I became aware for the first time that I was losing my hair at around 21 years of age, as a young outgoing and positive individual it was a real negative in my life.
I had always looked after myself excelling at numerous sports and took pride in the fact that I looked good and indeed felt good, yet here was a physical problem that I had no control over and yet I refused to accept it and the fact that I would one day be bald.

Looking back I think the biggest impact from watching my hair thin and fall out was on my self esteem, I went from being a confident outgoing dude who never struggled with the opposite sex to a withdrawn and introverted shadow of my former self, to me losing my hair was losing my looks €¦the truth is I like having hair and I think I look better with it period!

I went down the Minoxidil route like we all do and to be fair I think it helped but I just didn €™t stick with it, back then it was a very expensive option and I wanted something more permanent. After seing an advert in Mens Health Magazine or something akin to it I made a phone call and in no time at all there was a salesman with a briefcase at my door!

To this day I still cannot believe my trust and naivety in the HT process, here was a guy who had no HT experience, sporting a full head of hair selling me a HT !!!!!! WTF?
Still desperate men do desperate things and so I signed up to a HT with John Bell And Croyden for the latest €˜micro graft €™ technology using the new strip technique. I have a high pain threshold cultivated from the many contact sports I have participated in and I recall quite a few bee sting injections going into my scalp and a couple of student surgeons sitting in as part of there learning process! I could not see the scars at the time but later when I shaved my head what became apparent was the randomness with which they had been removed 2 one side one the other and a strip in the middle to round it off! LOL.

I do recall the massive headache I had all the way home-probably due to the tight bandage on my head-I was given painkillers and told the first night would be the worst. To there credit they did tell me that as my native hair fell out I would need further work in the future to compensate for this. Once the grafts had grown out and blended in with my native hair I was pleased with how it looked and with the €˜mane €™ spray they sold I could cultivate quite a good head of hair!

Over the next 18 years or so things steadily progressed until I find myself at where I am right now-still unhappy and more conscious of my unnatural corn field hair lines and looking for a real and lasting solution to this problem I have battled on and off since I was 21 years old. So why do we still pursue that head of hair look when from the outside I look like I have everything a man could want. beautiful wife €¦big house.. successful business good health etc. Well I believe its that niggling feeling that just never goes away that something just isn €™t right. to me its no different than losing your front teeth €¦you notice it and feel it every day than one day you go to the dentist and presto your smile is back and you feel good about yourself again!
We live in an age now where getting your hair fixed should be viewed in the same way as getting your teeth fixed. people will say €¦why you look fine without hair then a year later thay say wow €¦.what a difference you look great €¦knocks 10 years off you! LOL

So here I am in the present a couple of weeks away from booking an appointment with Janna and Big Ron at SMG after meeting them both in London, for me it was between 2 candidates both do exceptional work but I just thought from a totally natural viewpoint Sir Ron had the edge-that is purely my opinion though .I am excited this time as I know it €™s the right choice and my hope is to showcase my results in the UK and help others to themselves make the right choices. I am also an excellent candidate for BH and I would love to be Sir Ron €™s guinea pig when he moves into this area-my goals and views are realistic and I would favor a shorter haircut which would suit BH grafts.

SMG have been nothing but 100% supportive and approachable in EVERY respect and I know that the good Doc will not rest unless I am 100% happy with my look €“ I see myself taking the first step in a 3 year journey where we get 2500 grafts in session 1 (strip) probably 1000 FF grafts in session 2 with some testing BH grafts and then BH grafts into scars and maybe temple work to finish.
I am open to suggestions and guidance from the great man so we will have to wait and see and I will keep you updated along the way with clear picks of my progress.

Hope this helps those yet to make a decision!

Mash

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Good luck with 'big ron', will look forward to following your progress.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Be great to follow your progress Masher.

Hopefully you`ll get a totally natural look after the repair and have a better quality of life.

Take care

bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Mash,

I thought posting couple of the pics you sent us would be helpful - hope you don't mind.

This pic is slightly blurry but you can still make out the plugs/corn rows.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

These pics were taken at the time of Masher's consult in London - Dr. Ron's plan for the repair.

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Masher

Masher

Thanks Janna, no problem at all when would you like me to book in dudette, was it 6 weeks as I recall?
I would like to comit and get it sorted ASAP now as I am ready and can get flights and accommodation sorted to! lol

Mash

janna

janna

Valuable Member
ok, just email me and we'll get a date set up for you.

Masher

Masher

Hi dudes!
Just an update to let you all know that I am booked in with SMG for surgery on the 27th October.
I managed to get flights with insurance flying from Humberside Airport for just over 600.00 quid.(was originally 570.00 but those seats had gone..apparently, wonder how many times that happens? LOL )
I am flying out on the 22nd and Janna has kindly booked me into the Country Inns and Suites Bloomington for 6 nights,which should give me chance to explore the local area and take in the sights-get some gifts for the family etc,before going into hibernation for a day or 2 and flying back on the 29th.I have applied for and been granted my travel visa(Thanks for the info Bigmac)and will be wiring some money over to SMG this week.
So its just a case of counting down the days,I am not expecting miracles but just a natural look in keeping with my age(44)will put a smile on my face:::C
Very much looking forward to seeing Janna, the legend that is Sir-Ron and Matt again and meeting the SMG hair crew! The speed with which Janna gets back to me with any questions or queries is amazing.I am 110% sure and certain of the fact that I am doing the right thing with people who are passionate and really care about each and every individual that decides to go through a HT in their capable hands.
They have really bent over backwards to help me and I can't thank them enough for all there help and encouragement and that's before I even step on the plane!
I look forward to sharing my journey with you good people and helping others to make clear, informed decisions through that process, on their own journeys.
Happy hair days to all!

Mash

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Masher.

Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing your pictures.

bm.

Masher

Masher

Yo Spex, thanks mate-just counting down like you did I guess!
Will keep you up to speed dude.

All the best.

Mash

Last edited:
Masher

Masher

Thanks BM, looking forward to doing that, even though I know there may not be to much to show until the 9 month mark-we are however all so different in that respect so who knows!:).One things for sure, it WILL be a big improvement on what I have right now! LOL

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Masher wrote:
I am flying out on the 22nd and Janna has kindly booked me into the Country Inns and Suites Bloomington for 6 nights,
You're all set for 7 nights at the Country Inn. Yea, it's a good thing one of us can count correctly ;;D....lol. See you soon.

j

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
All the best pal, your in safe hands dude give my regards to the gang at smg

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Hi Masher...

Yep... John Bell did me too... about 15 years ago... my story would be a carbon copy of yours !!

Anyway... all the best... you have made a great choice for your repair... looking forward to seeing and reading your updates.

Tim

Masher

Masher

where the hell did that month go?! LOL only 12 days to go and I am on the plane to SMG must admit I am getting excited about having my hair fixed.
Will take a book or two to read on the plane journey and looking forward to checking out the USA's biggest shopping mall that must be H-U-G-E!
Speak soon dudes/dudettes

Mash

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Masher,not long now.

The Mall is a great place,i loved it.

bm.

Masher

Masher

Nice one dude-will take my camera so I can get a few picks for my blog on here and wherever else I may be posting.
Will get some picks of the surgery and tech's etc to if they are ok with that and keep a diary so I can provide as much detailed information as possible for those who may be going down the HT route for the first time or the 2nd like me for that matter! LOL Will give you a shout before I go dude ;)

Mash

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ll have a blog facility shortly so it will be easy for you to have all your pictures on here.

I`m looking forward to seeing them all.

bm.

spectrader

spectrader

Valued member
Masher wrote:
SMG have been nothing but 100% supportive and approachable in EVERY respect and I know that the good Doc will not rest unless I am 100% happy with my look......
+1.

Have a safe trip. You will be in great hands. My best to you.