• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

hairtransplant thickening and maturation?

M

mars

Valued member
I hear transplant hairs will thicken and mature up to 12-18 months..but what i dont get is when transplant hairs grow initially are they not slightly larger in diameter than native hair,the stubble that patients feel growing is a thick healthy hair,so how does this thickening and maturing make sense?

Is it that some grafts grow in strong and healthy fully pigmented straight away and others grow fine and wispy initially and its these that need thickening and maturation?if this is the case why dont all grafts grow in the same way?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi mars,

If I understand right you mean after the op it seems the hair shaft is thick, before the hairs fall out over the first month?

It is not uncommon to feel this, and it is not uncommon that some start to grow a little either, but those that do not grow, the hair shaft is generally dead from the trauma of moving and at that point dries out, the outer cortex expands and feels coarser, so giving the impression of it being thicker and stronger.

When the hair falls out around the 1 month mark and then starts to regrow around 3 months it is common the hair shaft can be slightly "wispy", finer, sometimes not quite the same pigmentation, wavy/curly and even the direction can seem off. Over time this small variants settle down and the hair behaves the same as it was in the donor where it started, but this can take for some well after the 12 month mark. The changes are subtle and not noticable to others but to us as we wash, comb etc we can feel the hair settle better, more body and strength.

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
I miss read the title of this thread , thought w.t.f. Then read it again....

M

mars

Valued member
Thanks for the reply..i didnt explain very well apologies,what im referring to is the growth stage starting at the 3 month mark..my grafts grew strong right away shiney and healthy and well pigmented and slightly more coarse than native hair..what i dont get is the phrase which ive seen on all forums 'more thickening and maturing to come' how can these hairs get more thick?if a graft start to grow post 3 months should it be dark or wispy initially?mine were dark like normal hair thats why i dont understand how they can thicken any more

Thanks again..

Last edited:
sl

sl

Hi mars,

Well in that case you can consider yourself to be fortunate to be honest, the majority of people find their hair not only goes through growth stages but also maturity stages over the months. It cannot "mature" anymore than your natural hair obviously but normally takes a few growth phases before it reaches this stage, different hair types can also react differently. So, if you found your hair growing well from the start, congrats and enjoy!

H

Haskel

What causes transplanted hair to stay fine and wispy, not matching the patients natural hair?

sl

sl

Hi Haskel,

What exactly do you mean, "to stay fine and wispy"? Do you mean initially when they start to grow they are different or if they literally stay fine and wispy forever as such?

If you mean initially, they have undergone a trauma, cut/punched from their resting place, moved/handled, then put back somewhere else, there is going to be a degree of trauma involved in this procedure and some hairs react more than others. In fact it is one aspect of FUE surgery that is different to Strip, unless larger punches are used to keep more fatty tissue around the FU, FUE grafts are leaner, less fatty tissue surrounding them, this makes them more delicate and prone to damage, they have to be handled with more care than Strip grafts, in the cutting, checking and placement.

If you mean long term then it could be a problem with the slit making, the placement, handling, poor post op care, simply weak hair that did not show itself prior to the procedure, to name a few, obviously these are all non specific answers, and if this does occur then the case has to be looked at on it's own merits.

Hope that helps

H

Haskel

Hello SL,

Yes if they stay this way after twelve months onwards and have a totally different texture to native hair.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Haskel.

Has this happened to you, if so, have you any pictures you can share?

Take care bm.

H

Haskel

Hello Bigmac,

Fortunately not me but a friend of mine had surgery which did not turn out well.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you could ask him to share his story on here with a new thread.

Hope he can find a solution.