• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Has anyone heard of ISHRS and if yes, is it legit?

L

Looking4Locks

Is ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) a legitimate organization like IAHRS? (iahrs.org)

The website for ISHRS looks SUPER tacky/fake (fill in whatever adjective you’d use to describe something suspicious).

I want to know because I surgeon I’m considering will become a member of ISHRS (currently an associate) but it doesn’t seem legit to me....

Any information?

B

Bessam Farjo

Valued member
Dear Looking4Locks, your question above has been pointed out to me and I'm happy to answer your questions.
Im a Past President of the ISHRS back in 2008
Im sorry you dont like the look of their website, but assure you the society is the largest and oldest educational organisation for doctors in the hair transplant field since 1993. It is also accredited by the American Council for Continuous Medical Education, and the educational partner of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery.
If you can be specific with me about what exactly makes you feel suspicious about the website or the society, I might be more equipped to address that.

T

Todd

Looking4Locks....
Looks ok to me. Please explain what looks suspicious?
What doctor are you considering?

Last edited:
M

mania

Yeah it's one of the best organization for hair transplant surgery ...

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
The ISHRS's reason to exist is to foster collegiality between colleagues and to help doctors teach doctors. I'm paraphrasing what it says in their mission statement. Although some members use their membership as an indicator of quality, it is anything but. Here is a video I made about the more commonly discussed and found organizations and what they really represent.

B

Bessam Farjo

Valued member
You do make fantastic looking videos Joe! I’m not sure when you made this one as things change. I agree with some of your observations but disagree with others. In the end though, for the ‘hair shoppers’ in here, there is no substitute for doing your research from multiple sources and meet the doctor in question in person. You need to get a feel that whoever is advising you not just has the quality and experience but also has your best interest at heart and gives you as much time as you need, just like Joe says in this video.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
Thanks, Dr. Farjo. I work quite hard to make these videos entertaining and accurate. I'm curious what you disagree with as almost every piece of information I shared was factual (at the time of the edit) and reinforced on each organizations websites. I know the ISHRS has changed a few parameters for membership since this video aired, but the overall mission hasn't changed and membership standards based on aesthetic quality have not been added.

L

Looking4Locks

The ISHRS's reason to exist is to foster collegiality between colleagues and to help doctors teach doctors. I'm paraphrasing what it says in their mission statement. Although some members use their membership as an indicator of quality, it is anything but. Here is a video I made about the more commonly discussed and found organizations and what they really represent.

Thank you Joe, THIS ... is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I knew it (this “organization”) didn’t really mean anything when it came to aesthetic quality. Thanks for confirming (I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s just useless for me as a consumer).

One surgeon I was looking at (who’s only an associate for the aforementioned) is: Dr. Bircan... are you familiar with this doctor and/or have you heard anything about him?

I’ve an important question: right now I’m taking finastride and topical minoxidil... I asked Dr. Bircan if I can/should still apply the topical minoxidil immediately after my hair transplant or will I need to wait?

His response was that he doesn't suggest using minoxidil after the operation, and I should stop using it because the new hair is going to start growing after the transplantation and the new hair doesn't need it....

BUT ... my concern is my natural hair (not the new hair) and I said but won’t my original hair fall out (my old hair: non-transplanted hair) if I’m balding and don’t take minoxidil?

Dr. Bircan said: I don’t need minoxidil, but I can take finasterid for the next 1.5-2 years which will help me forever.

This doesn’t make any sense to me... Joe and or anyone else who is knowledgeable on the topic (and not affiliated with the doctor named above) what are your thoughts?

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
No, never heard of him, but at the rate the industry is growing, this is becoming more commonplace. Regarding the use of minoxidil, my position has always been sometimes contradictory to the typical doctor recommendation. I can't count how many times I've heard about a doctor recommending that a patient stop taking minoxidil after their hair transplant, or even before, due solely to their opinion that it is useless.

My position has been to NEVER just "stop using it" because the reasoning given isn't always true. In fact, for those cases that it is not true, it can be devastating for the patient. Why? Because the cessation of minoxidil can lead to a telogen effluvium. When you're having a hair transplant, the minox has potentially held on to some hair, and that hair is going to blow away in the wind and will not come back. This leads to a net loss to the expected cosmetic outcome of the surgery. If one is going to stop minoxidil, I believe they should do it six months BEFORE surgery so that they can get a better understanding of the impact it will cause and allow for a more accurate game plan on the day of surgery. Hopefully, some form of prevention is still part of the routine, absent of minoxidil.

L

Looking4Locks

No, never heard of him, but at the rate the industry is growing, this is becoming more commonplace. Regarding the use of minoxidil, my position has always been sometimes contradictory to the typical doctor recommendation. I can't count how many times I've heard about a doctor recommending that a patient stop taking minoxidil after their hair transplant, or even before, due solely to their opinion that it is useless.

My position has been to NEVER just "stop using it" because the reasoning given isn't always true. In fact, for those cases that it is not true, it can be devastating for the patient. Why? Because the cessation of minoxidil can lead to a telogen effluvium. When you're having a hair transplant, the minox has potentially held on to some hair, and that hair is going to blow away in the wind and will not come back. This leads to a net loss to the expected cosmetic outcome of the surgery. If one is going to stop minoxidil, I believe they should do it six months BEFORE surgery so that they can get a better understanding of the impact it will cause and allow for a more accurate game plan on the day of surgery. Hopefully, some form of prevention is still part of the routine, absent of minoxidil.

Joe -Thank you VERY much for your thoughtful, thorough and in-depth reply; I really appreciate your invaluable insight!

For sure I’m too scared to stop taking minoxidil (even though I’m taking finastride too) as you said, TE is a REAL threat/concern.

May I ask, in your opinion... are surgeons in Turkey worth it? (Cost to risk ratio) and if you think possibly so, are there any surgeons in Turkey you would recommend? (I’m really trying to find a surgeon who places the hair themselves, not leaving the task to unqualified hands i.e. technicians).

B

Bessam Farjo

Valued member
Thanks, Dr. Farjo. I work quite hard to make these videos entertaining and accurate. I'm curious what you disagree with as almost every piece of information I shared was factual (at the time of the edit) and reinforced on each organizations websites. I know the ISHRS has changed a few parameters for membership since this video aired, but the overall mission hasn't changed and membership standards based on aesthetic quality have not been added.
Happy to discuss with you in person next time we meet or speak, Joe.
The person who started this thread called the ishrs website 'fake', 'tacky', and 'suspicious', and then questioned if its 'legit'. I reponded very respectfully and offered my help in providing information, but sadly that was not appreciated or at least acknowledged by the enquirer