• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How long do the grafts or follicular units have to be to place

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Just curious as to how long the hair should be for placement of follicular units into the recipient site? I would imagine it would have to be a certain length to determine curl and hair direction but what is the optimum length and does this vary for different parts of the head ie temples,crown etc

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
I would say there is no regular length to the hairs/grafts as each clinic will work with what they are use to.

The longer the hair shaft is though i would guess would make it harder to plant.

It would look good though for a little while if you got a HT with hairs an inch long or so(instant non balding look)

Interesting topic.

bm.

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
I shave my head bald normally with a mach 3 or fusion,should the hair be a couple of days growth or can the hair still be moved when its shaved off ?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
zionaxel wrote:
I shave my head bald normally with a mach 3 or fusion,should the hair be a couple of days growth or can the hair still be moved when its shaved off ?
I would let it grow out a bit as ive forgot what smg told me as i too was used to shaving, i would contact bhr and ask

Last edited:
janna

janna

Invaluable Member
We keep the donor hairs about 1/2 a cm to 1 cm in length. It is true you are able to see the direction of the hairs when it's longer. We believe the direction/curve of the transplanted hairs should fall forward in the hairline and it's especially important with the single hairs since that's where the eyes are drawn to in the first place. I've seen some clinics really shave the donor hairs down to a 0 guard - I don't understand that. Maybe because our donor hairs have always been on the longer side that our techs are used to it. They hate it if the hairs are really short.

A while back we've tried really long donor hairs so that once they are transplanted they matched the native hair length. It was interesting. They loved it for a little while until it started shedding.

T.C

T.C

Janna, does this length of donor apply for FUE as well or just for strip?.I would guess only strip but would be pleased to hear otherwise!.

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
Yes, I'm referring to strip procedures. At SMG, we don't have much choice but to shave the donor hairs down with a 0 guard to see the direction of the hairs to get the correct angle for extracting.

H

hairtech

valued member
FUE cannot be performed with leaving the hair length very long what so ever. No matter what clinic.

I have worked at clinics that cut the hairs short and leave them very long. Even longer than here at SMG... for instance at Dr. Harris. It gives a preview of what is to come. But in my opinion an average length is good for the techs that place them and for the patient to at least see what he will get. I believe our clinic is around an average hair length.:)

Last edited: