• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How Long Should I Give Rogaine / Propecia

R

RonBurgundy

Valued member
Thanks for all your comments on my other post.

I'm now trying to figure out if I need to give a Propecia / Rogaine combo a fair try, or if I should just do the surgery. No pics yet, but I have a dollar-size bald spot on my crown, pretty good recedation on the front, and everything on top is thin enough you can see my scalp if I'm standing under a bright light. My goal is not to have a perfect, straight hairline and thick, wavy hair. It is rather to have enough of a hairline to frame my face. I've always had a high hairline and would be oK with the small bald spot on the back -- that much has never bothered me.

I just started Rogaine and Propecia in the last month. Do I give it a year to see if that can help fill in my appearance, or should I schedule a HT regardless. The pros are I would have a year to save up for the surgery and may choose to just use meds. The cons are that in a year, if the meds don't work, I may have lost even more hair making the contrast with my fuller head of hair more noticeable.

What is your experience? Give the meds a college try, or just do the procedure?

Last edited:
the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
Hi Ron--- quite honestly, if you have any balding in the crown/mid-scalp area, you should be taking Propecia.

While it is true that these meds do not regrow hair for some, there is a "retention factor" to keeping your donor region intact, and possibly see some regrowth in the crown.

At the very least almost all who take Propecia stabilize the crown area/donor area.

Now, there is no real prerequisite for how long before a HT to take Propecia, but my personal advice is at least 3 months, 6 months is great, 1 year is optimal.

3-6 months will generally tell you if you have no side effects, while 6 mo. to a 1year will tell you if you have received any regrowth benefits.

In your situation, you could get on Propecia, wait a month or two, hit your hairline and leave the crown for a year to see the effect of the meds.... at that point, you could make a better decision.....Propecia generally speaking does next to nothing for most men in the frontal region.

Hope this helps!
Jason

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi RB

You should definately give the meds a chance as if they work it will save you from going down the HT route.

I would try Propecia/Proscar and Rogaine for at least 6 months to see how you respond and then decide what you want to do.

You can keep researching during this time period too.

BM

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hows it going Ron with the meds,hope you aren`t suffering from any sides.

Take care

bm.

R

RonBurgundy

Valued member
I started taking Rogaine about a month ago and Propecia about a week ago. No side effects from Rogaine. I may have some breast tenderness from the Propecia. If that leads to breast englargement, I'll flush the pills down the toilet. I'd rather be bald :)

Way too early to tell if anything is working, but I'm glad that at least I'm giving everything a try.

Last edited:
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Hi ron i too had some breast tenderness at the beginning to be honest i shit myself but it soon passed dude and ive not had any sides since:)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Wait it out a little longer and see how it goes as it may subside.