• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How many grafts do I need?

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I`ve been reading the forum from the sidelines for a while now trying to figure out how many grafts I need. My crown has been thinning slowly over the last 2 years. I didn`t really notice it too much because I usually buzz my hair down to the bone. The other week someone pointed out my hair was thinning quite a bit so I went home to take a closer look. I was shocked to see how much it has progressed, now I`m wanting to do something about it.

How many grafts do you think I`ll need to fill the thinning area?

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
These pictures show my crown.

. IMG_0546.PNGIMG_0547.PNGIMG_0548.PNGIMG_0549.PNG

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kevboy. Welcome to the forum.
Going by my own experience I`d guess you need 1000 to 1500 grafts, maybe even 2000. Send your pictures to a few clinics to get their opinions. Are you using any hair loss medications such as Finasteride or Minoxidil? I`ve been using Finasteride since 2005, it has worked really well for my crown.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
Welcome Kevboy.
They're not the clearest pics so it's hard to judge accurately, but I'd agree with Bigmac that it looks like a couple of thousand grafts would make a real difference. The surgeon would be planting grafts around your thinning native hair though so it would be worth considering finasteride to strengthen things if possible first. Certainly worth scheduling an in-person appointment with a clinic if you can to talk things through and formulate a plan, if not try to take some better quality pics and email them to some clinics for their opinion.

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
Hi Kevboy,
Our recommendation is to hold of with transplantation for now.
Start to use a lotion which combines both Finasteride and Minoxidil.
After about 8-10 months you will likely see a tremendous improvement because you seem to have a lot of thin hairs in the crown.
Maybe a transplant is needed to thicken things up, but you will probably need a lot fewer grafts (if at all) than what you need now.

Bart

DrTBarghouthi

DrTBarghouthi

The photos aren’t the best but It does seem you need around 2000 grafts AND a good maintenance regimen. Ofcourse depending on your age and family history and a proper clinical assessment, delaying the transplant might also be an option provided you adhere to the maintenance.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Sorry for the late response guys, it has been a hectic few weeks. I`ve been quoted around 1500 - 2500 grafts, although one clinic quoted 4000 plus. Been on Finasteride just over a month, happy to report no sides. I think I will see if it makes a difference before opting for the transplant.
My phone takes poor quality pictures, I`ll see if I`m able to provide some clearer ones.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
Just a tip, but take the photos in better light. Even the best phone cameras have trouble in the shadows. And be sure to hold as still as possible.

Dr. A s Clinic

Dr. A s Clinic

Valued member
A hair transplant is not recommended at this stage.

Please tell a few details like family history of hairloss. Because if you are eventually going to turn a norwood 5/6, you may end up running short of grafts at that stage.
Finasteride is not recommended by us due to its serious health issues.
Capture.PNG

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
It's been a few months since I've updated. I let my hair grow a little longer,I think it is improving.

b8d2bcdd-7e92-4ca7-a018-63e7f9134b0e.jpg

fe4e84e8-0ab2-43ea-8074-4ca8e807c097.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kevboy. It looks like you may be responding to the Finasteride. Your hair is longer than the original pictures but it does look denser.
Have you experienced any sides?
Have a read of the article Dr A posted about sides.
I can only go by my own experience with Finasteride, I`ve been using it since 2005, so far I`m ok.
Keep taking pictures every month or so to compare.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I've not suffered any side effects. I do think my hair is improving, pictures will show this as the months go by.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
Your hair appears thicker in the recent pics. Looks like you've got plenty of hair worth saving so hopefully the finasteride is doing its job. Good to hear you've not experienced any side effects so far.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Sorry I did not reply earlier guys. My hair looks as though it is improving. I`m planning on adding some pictures in the New Year for your opinions. So far so good.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

Best wishes , take care with that medication, its not now you could get sides, who knows what long term effect you could have ,when you grow old

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Appreciate that PaddyIrishman1. I know may sound trivial but right now hair is what matters to me, without it, I feel depressed. Maybe they will bring another drug out to counter any side effects.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
6-7 month update and feeling down.
From my last update, my hair looks worse. I`m praying it`s just a shedding phase and grows back soon. Is this normal for hair to shed so much while taking Finasteride?

Finasteride 6 month progress.jpg

Finasteride 6 months.jpg

Finasteride 6 month close up.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kevboy. You may well be experiencing a shed, they can happen at any time. If you`re not suffering any sides I would stick with it as 6 months is just an average guideline. Some people respond quickly whilst others take longer.
Thanks for the update.
All the best.
Bm.