• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How much time off from work

H

hatman

First time poster here, in need of some advice. How much time is adequate to take off from work if I have a hair transplant? I was planning on three weeks, Is this long enough for all the redness to vanish? I want to keep this a secret from everyone as I work in an office full of pee-takers who will never let me live it down.

I anticipate I need 2500 grafts to beef up my hairline and thicken the area directly behind. Has anyone on here had a similar size surgery and returned to work with no problems?

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
Just had a week off , but i wear a hat and have my own business so no problem with that..

Peachy

Peachy

Hi there Hatman,

Welcome to the forum.

Well, there is no sure thing as far as this goes as everybody's physiology and recovery rates are different. Have a look through the examples on the forums to get a bit of an idea as many are very well documented showing the situ at week 3. There are also a few tricks to cover up but agree it's a lot easier to hide away at home and under a hat but not so easy working in an office. Maybe you could have a couple of excuses up your sleeve (just in case)...skiing accident for the scar or sunburn for the recipient. I'm trying hard to get 3 weeks leave myself, and work in an office, so know all about the dilemma you are in. Anyway good luck and keep going with the research.

Peachy

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Hi there.

Are you considering fue or strip for your HT.If fue your whole head will most likely be shaven down for a procedure of that size.Afterwrds you will have the redness to contend with which differs from patient to patient.

If you opt for strip you can grow your hair long to conceal the scar,as for the recipient area,it will depend if its shaven down or trimmed.If trimmed down you may be able to cover/hide the work with your native hair.If shaved down you won`t have this option.

So unfortunately you will need to decide on what procedure is for you and then look at patient results similar to that and see what their down time etc was.

Hope that helps.

J

JJ09

If you are planning on having strip surgery without trimming your hair then 3 weeks should be adequate, however an office environment is probably the worst predicament if there are issues…such as redness poor use and/or placement of grafts.

I had bad hairline work done in my first procedure 20 years ago, this was the start to my downward spiral…I worked outdoors and never wore a hat, after surgery I had to wear a hat and remained hat bound, well…to this day, had to leave that job BTW due to rumours floating around about what I may have done.

Granted my procedure was a long time ago…today’s technique are a vast improvement on what I had done, still choose your Dr carefully.

Have you chosen your Dr…any pics?

B

Bastion

I`ve read accounts of patients on this very forum where "redness" in the recipient area has lasted three to six months after surgery. If this happens to you... you will have a hard time hiding the fact you`ve had a transplant.

H

hairtech

valued member
Redness completely depends on:

1. The individuality of the person... skin color is important... also healing speed (as a poster noted... sometimes redness can linger for up to 6 months),etc... just as a poster noted above. This is a large variable.

2. Recipient site size... The larger the more redness (IMO) and increases the healing times.

3. How much the recipient was shaved, i.e. can you cover it by combing over?

The redness on a 2500 graft case and giving a 3 week time to heal is difficult to judge if it is ample time.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
What type of work do you do,when i had my strip surgery with SMG i looked normal 10 days post op with some Nanogen on my crown concealing the transplanted area.The strip scar was concealed by my native hair.

more

more

Valued member
i have to say i'm still a bit swollen in the face after over 1 week. i removed my headband after 4 days and all the fluids relocated on my cheeks and around my eyes! i look Chinese or Mongolian basically

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I was only having 1 week off, but now I'm gonna have 2. Having my head shaved, so 2 weeks seemed like a better idea.

Also I'm self employed so I do what I want!

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
More,

You're at the worst stage for swelling. It generally starts 3 days after surgery and lasts about 3 days as it drains down your face. Once it's below your eyes, you should be clear of it.

more

more

Valued member
it's not a problem, i live in a Vietnamese community so now i totally fit in. (Vietnamese girlfriend told me)

H

hatman

Thankyou all for responding, once I decide on a physician I think I will take three weeks leave to be on the safe side.;)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Three weeks should be fine but remember some people are effected by post op redness which can last for a long time.