• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Is this common?

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I think it's more common than people realise, as I was in the supermarket yesterday, buying some shaving foam and noticed about three women who were diffused thinners and another with massive..... !!!! Anyways, I have a statistic stuck in my head which I think I must of read somewhere, I think about 8% of women suffer from hair loss sometime in there lifes, but on a positive they seem to have excellent donor in most cases.

Shang

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Shang,

That figure is pretty accurate. I read that also. Quite often also it is not noticed as they can disguise easier than us. Many of us feel that a combover has done the trick.c;;9

NN

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Yeah its bad for us guys but the implications for a women are huge. It must totally knock them for six as most people regard hairloss as masculine, so for a women to loose her hair must be dreadfull. You read everywhere about poor cancer sufferers that have had mastectomys and dont feel feminine anymore, so i can only imagine that women who loose their hair must have similar feelings which is dreadful. So with that im mind reputable clinics that help women as well as guys have my upmost respect and we as a hairloss comunity should commend them whenever possible.

Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
On behalf of women - I'm going to spew out some unfairness in the world for women hair loss sufferers.........

There are women who may have high foreheads, temple recession due to traction alopecia, scars due to face lifts, or hairloss in a certain section of their head due to freak accidents. For these women, they tend to have plenty of donor to address their concerns. Majority of our females patients have the diffused thinning. This means their donor may be sparse and there's not the same "safe zone" for harvesting donor that men have with MPB. You just don't know how much of their native hairs they will keep and for how long. The donor is harvested from the typical safe zone - same as men but our women patients are made aware of all the risks so they have realistic expectations with their results.

So, what are the solutions available for women as they don't have the same limited options that are available for men? Shaving their heads is not an option for most women, neither is taking finasteride. With ht surgery, they tend to get smaller size sessions because they simply don't have the donor supply as most men. Diffused thinners tend to take longer to get full growth from ht's. I would say the average full result seems to be around 1 1/2 year mark. The only medication available to them right now is the so so result you get from Rogaine for Women.....BOOOO Wigs have been around for ages but most men (hair systems) and women will state how uncomfortable and costly these can be - not to mention the hassle of upkeep.

One positive thing I can say, however, is that women patients tend to tolerate surgery better than men in general.:T: They're not worried about blood, needles, pain or being able to sit still.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Great informative post j, but i beg to differ about the sitting still part as ive never met a women yet that can sit still, they are either working,decorating,cleaning, gardening or shopping you women tire us men out watching:T:

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Very enlightening J, it must be very hard being a women!!!!!

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Well, tough for women with hairloss since this is the topic at hand. I won't spew on about other unfairness......lol

BN - I think that's why the guys stopped watching women work and focus their eyes to the TV set. Not quite so tiring that way.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
I have to say tho, BN, that you were a model patient - thought we had a female patient for the most part. Except when you got comfortable and started flipping tv channels like crazy and barked orders for beers.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Ha ha thats my split personality, must say though you were a model tech until the beer you fetched me was warm, and as for flipping the channels thats because as soon as the valium kicked in you put the shopping channels on.:T:

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I see more and more women with hairloss these days,probably because its something i look for but there are plenty.

I know how difficult i find it to cope with hairloss,i can only imagine how much it must effect women.

K

khair

I think hair loss is more common in women than it used to be. I see more women suffering from hair loss and thinning hair than I used to.

Z

zenith

yes hairloss is very common issue and also very serious one....if it happens with men it is not of much anxiety but with women it can be very scarey so one should take proper care of their hair...

bullitnut

bullitnut

zenith wrote:
....if it happens with men it is not of much anxiety..

blimey;;D....... i realise hairloss is probably more distressing to women than some men, but im sure 100 percent of users on this site and every other hairloss site disagree with this statement........ as hairloss in men causes HUGE amounts of anxiety otherwise sites like these wouldnt exsist.

I agree though that people in general should look after their hair;)

warm wishes bullit

ps welcome to the forum great to have you aboard;)

Last edited:
J

jass.pett21

I think this is a common problem of everyone.In that case u can consult with a dermatologist.

M

miofit

Hair loss mostly is male not female. I tried before falling my hair but they said because I am stressed that's why.

I

irezan

mostly hair loss in women happen during pregnancy or after stop the childbirth pill control...what you can do is practice the balance diet and always do the exercise

K

khair

Hair loss is common in women but their pattern of hair loss is different than that of men.

Women typically suffer from diffuse hair thinning (thinning of hair all over the scalp) while men lose a lot of hair in a few spots, making those areas of their scalp visible.