• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Is this FUE shock loss or FUE overharvesting?

T

Tariq

Does this look like shock loss or too many grafts extracted from the donor area or both?

overharvesting.jpg

Felixe

Felixe

valued member
Looks like shock loss and it is very thin all over which could mean too much taken out as well. How long after surgery is this?

T

Tariq

It is 6 weeks after surgery but not my picture. I am in a similar place to this man and very concerned that too many extractions have been taken. I am hearing that shock loss usually grows back but for others, it may not which is worrying. What are my options to help the area recover?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The donor looks very thin, so this could be overharvesting. The larger bare patch looks like shock loss, this grows back in most cases.
Time will tell how this turns out.
Good luck.

T

Tariq

Thank you for answering but how can I help the situation recover?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some say that Minoxidil/Rogaine may help grow it quicker but I think you will have to wait it out for a few months. Some pictures will help.

Shera

Shera

The bare patch does look like shock loss or it could be down to a novice technician getting a wee bit carried away in extracting grafts from that particular area.

As for over harvesting for the entire donor area, then pictures of the donor area before and the amount of grafts that were agreed to be taken from this area will help answer that query.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
I agree it would be good to know the graft numbers and see a pre op pic. What can be seen of the untouched donor area appears ok though, so I'd assume his donor availability was ok. It does look like both over harvesting and shock loss to me, hopefully he recovers as time goes on

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
You have shock loss and is usually the result of a reaction to Epinephrine injections. With FUE you can have a fair few and especially if you are susceptible to pain and they limit pain and bleeding. In the limiting of bleeding you can then have shock loss and i've seen bad cases of it grow back. As Brian said Minoxidil can help on the donor. See your clinic for their recommendations as to when to apply so that you do all things under their guidance but usually for the donor you can apply very soon after surgery.

T

Tariq

Thank you for the advice. I am trying Minoxidil foam 2% for now. Do all clinics use Epinephrine injections to numb the donor area? I do recall having top up injections during the extraction phase.

sl

sl

Yes very common. The more pain sensitive one is the more injections are probably administered and for some it can cause shock loss. Also the dosage and how prepared plays a part. Some will inevitably have loss but it for the donor should grow back okay.

V

Viking

Sorry to read about your situation Tariq. What advice would be given in terms of disguising this shock loss then? Would it be advisable to grow the area out a little where the grafts where taken?

Does Minoxidil cause shedding at first?

sl

sl

I would be inclined to get specific advice from the performing clinic, just to be sure the patient does everything in accordance with their instructions. Some will apply a concealer for the early months but must wash off at night to allow the skin to breathe well but as said, best to see what the clinic says. Minoxidil can cause shock for some as it initially works but is usually well tolerated and can assist in faster regrowth. MSM also speeds up hair growth as does FAST shampoo. So the patient also can grow hair longer to also camouflage the issues. Take care.

sl

sl

Improves hair quality and speed of growth, not more hair.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
At six weeks,, it's anyone's guess what the issue is. My gut tells me it is both overharvesting and post-surgical donor shock. To what degree for both issues is unknown so you'll have to wait it out for up to six months to see how it recovers.

As SL said, MSM does not have new hair grow, only existing growing hair to grow faster. It will also make your nails grow faster as well.

baldasabadger10

baldasabadger10

Valued member
Surely the larger bald part on the upper left is shock loss though? Does shock loss ever take longer than 6 months to recover?

J

Jackie Brown

Have you had any improvement to your donor yet? Have you spoken to the clinic that did your FUE? Have they had anything to say?

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
I tend to agree with Joe.
It is likely a combination of overharvesting and shock loss.
At 6 weeks after treatment, the donor looks very reddish compared to our experience. There may also be some kind of infection.