• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

    Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Losing ones hair at a very young age.

K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#1
Hi everyone,

I first detected signs of hairloss when I noticed more hair than usual on my pillow and in the shower. I`m 23 years old, my hair has always been very thick, but now I see my scalp quite easily.

Looking at pictures on here I would say I am suffering from male pattern baldness. I have some thinning in the vertex, but mainly in the frontal zone 1. What hope is there for maintaining my hair as I have read many posts where people seem to think that medications are most effective when started early, so is it best I start a course of Propecia?.... even though I`m young. I`m not too sure if I should use Rogaine until I have tried Propecia.


Has anyone else successfully treated their MPB in their teens or early twenties? If so, what success have you had? I`m not in a position to have a hair transplant as I have financial obligations which restict how much cash I have to spare.

What do you think my chances are of holding onto my hair?

 
Last edited:
D

drmwamba

Valued member
Likes
0
#3
Combine anti DHT ( propecia , or saw palmetto ,Nizoral shampoo ) and anagen stimulators such as Rogaine .

It gives better results when used together .
 
K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#4
Thankyou Westcoaster, Dr Mwamba I have read that Saw Palmetto has no beneficial properties for hairloss, do you think by using them together there is some sort of mixing reaction that helps?
 
Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Likes
0
#5
er, Saw Palmetto blocks 2 types of DHT which is the cause of hairloss, where ever you read that it isnt beneficial is wrong.
 
K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#6
Er, "really" do a search and you won`t find a documented clinical study anywhere that states what you quoted. Its all hearsay.

Quote from a different forum. I've done a lot of research on Saw Palmetto and have found no viable clinical studies proving Saw Palmetto works to treat hair loss. Google the above quote.

Saw Palmetto is nonsense and if you buy into it, more fool you.
 
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Likes
6
#7
Maybe Saw Palmetto works for some and not others.Its cheap enough to buy and try out.Dont buy stuff like Procerin that claim to beat hairloss as its only Saw Palmetto they`ve added to the ingredients and charge a lot more.
 
Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Likes
0
#10
Took me 30 seconds to find this


Saw Palmetto

"Inhibition of both forms of 5-alpha-reductase with no reduction in cellular capacity to secrete prostate-specific antigen is indicated.

Other proposals for mechanisms of action include interfering with dihydrotestosterone binding to the androgen receptor, relaxing smooth muscle tissue similarly to alpha antagonist drugs, and acting as a phytoestrogen"
 
S

SemperFi

Valued member
Likes
0
#11
Losing hair at very young age? Dude, 23 is not very young to start losing hair... actually, if you don't start it losing by then, you have very, very good chances to keep a great majority of hair at least until you middle age crisis. :D

I started losing hair at 15 years old and I wasn't really aware of that, I just noticed that recently looking at the photos taken on the rollecoaster, that revealed my NW1 hairline. However, I'm 27 now with NW2... if I could manage to push it to 39 with being NW3 I would actually be one happy camper. :)
 
K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#12
Sparky wrote:
Coming on here asking for advice and then being sarcastic, very annoying.
I guess I took your "Err" as sarcastic.... so I apologize. I have looked up Saw Palmetto online, theres no official clinical study or documented case`s of success stories from anyone.
 
K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#14
SemperFi wrote:
Losing hair at very young age? Dude, 23 is not very young to start losing hair... actually, if you don't start it losing by then, you have very, very good chances to keep a great majority of hair at least until you middle age crisis. :D

I started losing hair at 15 years old and I wasn't really aware of that, I just noticed that recently looking at the photos taken on the rollecoaster, that revealed my NW1 hairline. However, I'm 27 now with NW2... if I could manage to push it to 39 with being NW3 I would actually be one happy camper. :)
I would say 23 is young when suffering from MPB. Lots of doctors must agree as they refuse to perform surgery on patients in my age group. 15 is very young... this must have knocked your self confidence right out the window.
 
garageland

garageland

Valued member
Likes
0
#15
Hi Kilbride, 23 is young to be losing your hair and means that you are more than likely to keep on losing more hair in the future at this early age hairloss can be quite aggressive.Speak to your doctor about propecia it is your best chance to try to keep what you have.

As you correctly said alot of doctors won't operate on you and no doctors should operate on you untill you have been on propecia for a while and it is proving to hold your loss.


 
Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Likes
0
#16
I was 19 when I first noticed a very small amount of hair in my left temple had gotten smaller.
 
S

SemperFi

Valued member
Likes
0
#17
Kilbride wrote:
SemperFi wrote:
Losing hair at very young age? Dude, 23 is not very young to start losing hair... actually, if you don't start it losing by then, you have very, very good chances to keep a great majority of hair at least until you middle age crisis. :D

I started losing hair at 15 years old and I wasn't really aware of that, I just noticed that recently looking at the photos taken on the rollecoaster, that revealed my NW1 hairline. However, I'm 27 now with NW2... if I could manage to push it to 39 with being NW3 I would actually be one happy camper. :)
I would say 23 is young when suffering from MPB. Lots of doctors must agree as they refuse to perform surgery on patients in my age group. 15 is very young... this must have knocked your self confidence right out the window.
Well, any age below 80 is young, depends on the perspective... ;) I tried to say that people who are bound to have hl problems, start losing their hair in their twenties or even sooner. If you're a NW1 or even NW0 at 35, you probably won't have any hair issues...

As for me - I started to notice my hairloss at about 16, maybe 17 and as I already said, it was not long ago I found out I actually had recedeed temples when I was 15. Luckily and with a little help of meds (minox at first, now propecia for 4 years) my MPB isn't so aggresive, but it's true that I'm worrying about my hair for around 10 years now, and it's a bit frustrating, but I'm coping with it. :)
 
K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#18
drmwamba wrote:
Combine anti DHT ( propecia , or saw palmetto ,Nizoral shampoo ) and anagen stimulators such as Rogaine .

It gives better results when used together .
Dr Mwamba I have read that Saw Palmetto has no beneficial properties for hairloss, do you think by using them together there is some sort of mixing reaction that helps?

Have you any documented cases to post?
 
H

hairtech

member
Likes
0
#19
please kilbride... do more research... like google much more terms and just do more research... ugh...
 
K

Kilbride

Member
Likes
0
#20
With all due respect Hairtech, I have Google`d the life out of my browser, the information out there is contradictory in itself. The propositions yield several conclusions as to the benefit-non benefit of mixing certain preventative hairloss products. Therefor, I choose to pose my questions on a hairloss forum where the most reliable information can be had. Dr. Mwamba offered his opinion to which I would like more information on, this will not only benefit myself but any person who reads this topic.

Has anyone experienced a positive response to Saw Palmetto?