• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

My opinions on poor FUE

• Thread starter MyWHTC - Brussels Belgium Hair Clinic
  • Start date
JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
Westcoaster wrote:
JoeTillman wrote:
Plenty of marketers out there promoting robotics for example when many in the industry that have actually been performing the procedure for years will tell you that it simply cannot compare to fue by hand. Many of those early robotic patients were having extractions where the surface area of the extraction site was easily 2-3 times the size of the extraction sites compared to those that had mastered the small hand punch.
If you think the robot is so bad then tell me what is wrong with this donor zone.

fue-extractions-5.png

What a crazy looking extraction pattern. Was this Artas?
Hi Westcoaster,
I'm glad you asked this question. To recap, Topcat said...

Plenty of marketers out there promoting robotics for example when many in the industry that have actually been performing the procedure for years will tell you that it simply cannot compare to fue by hand. Many of those early robotic patients were having extractions where the surface area of the extraction site was easily 2-3 times the size of the extraction sites compared to those that had mastered the small hand punch.

No, the image I posted is not the donor zone created by the robot. The image I posted was the donor zone created by one of Topcat's heroes in 2012, someone that has been performing FUE for over twenty years and is someone that he references as having that special skill that only comes from patience and using his hands, like a true artisan Jedi craftsman would. It is a doctor that Topcat said he would like to be like if he were ever a hair transplant doctor. The "crazy extraction pattern" as you referenced is made up of large excisions sites that are overlapping. The excision sites are already at least 1mm to 1.2mm in diameter and many of them are joined together thereby increasing the size of the wound by a factor of two, three and even four times. It could almost be called a "confluence" of donor wounds. The size of the extractions sites are no better than the size of earlier robotic extraction sites when the punch used was 1.7mm in diameter.

The robot today is doing much better than the early days and I daresay much better than what we see in the above image.

1day3_zpsm2zowcrq.jpg

1days5_zpsd7braoz9.jpg

To be fair, these images are 1 day post-op so the extraction sites do close up a bit during this time but it is vastly better from what was seen in the first image I posted. The point of this is twofold.

1. To show yet again that Topcat is wrong with his information and he has questionable (at best) recommendations. His information is, in his mind, indisputably the best and anyone that disagrees is a scumbag or is corrupt and only trying to make a buck. There is actually a long list of insults he's made but I don't have time to look them up.

2. The robot is improving and at this point it cannot be stated that massive damage is being done to the donor due to giant punches that no manual FUE surgeon would use.

And to be clear, I'm not advocating or promoting the robot but I felt it was necesary to show the differences between a supposed FUE Jedi master and the robot that Topcat endlessly disparages.

Last edited:
Westcoaster

Westcoaster

I never knew established doctors are using punches bigger than 1mm. Comparing both donor areas the robotic certainly looks superior to the manual example.

Last edited:
JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
Well, we don't know what size for sure was being used but it is, in my opinion, at least 1mm to 1.2mm. The extractions made with the robot were .9mm.

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

Sure does look a superior extraction pattern by the robot comparing these two.

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
I saw the robot live action, it does a pretty good job with the extraction pattern.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
This is a good educational discussion which is a worthy read for anyone who is in the research process.