• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

My Scalp is not retaining SMP ink because it's "gummy"!

L

lonj

Hi all, new to this forum. I'm desperate at this point so didn't know where to go.

I'm a 32 yr old male with moderate hair loss. I have quite some hair left hence opted for SMP for density to make it look fuller especially when it's wet.

I visited an SMP professional who said I'll need 3 sessions, the first 2 two weeks apart and the 3rd after a month. I went ahead and got the first one, followed all the pre and post care. However the result of the first one was incredibly faded and barely noticeable. At the second session, the professional did mention that most first sessions don't stick so the second should help. The second session initially looked good. But to my surprise, after a week, it all went away! FADED. Like only 10% of the session was retained, everything else, POOF!

A month later, I went for my 3rd session and told the professional about my ordeal. She was surprised too and said that she 'never came across a case like this'. (Why me!) Her explanation was that my scalp felt very gummy compared to other scalps she worked on which were pretty 'solid' or 'hard'. I asked her whether it was ethnicity specific? (I'm of South-Asian origin, a brown guy). She said that she did clients of my ethnicity and it wasn't the case ever. She started with my 3rd session but again noticed that my scalp wasn't 'taking the ink in', and pushing it out. Because of this she insisted that we don't continue with the session and did only a small strip on my hairline.

We went over my general history and I did mention I have been using Saw Palmetto based oil and shampoo for over 15 years now, she asked me to stop it which I have done now. The other point that she swore was the cause, was my consumption of green tea (I drink 3 cups a day minimum). So I stopped that as well and limited it to 1 cup, will go to zero closer to my next session. I'm scheduled for the 3rd session again after a month of 'detox' from green tea (lol) and saw palmetto.

Has ANYONE ever come across such a case? I'm really lost and I was really looking forward to this treatment and feel incredibly defeated cos it isn't working. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences will be truly appreciated. THANK YOU all in advance!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any images you could share? I’ve never heard of green tea being an issue. Was it temp or permanent smp?
I have seen temp smp fade very quickly because the body metabolism flushed the ink out.

L

lonj

Do you have any images you could share? I’ve never heard of green tea being an issue. Was it temp or permanent smp?
I have seen temp smp fade very quickly because the body metabolism flushed the ink out.
I honestly didn't know that there's a temp and permanent SMP. My SMP professional said this'll last about 4-5 years. I didn't take pictures cos it made no sense, it looks exactly like how my scalp was before. I can however take a picture of the last sitting where she only did a 1 cm strip along my hairline, it's been 5 days since then. I'll update it as soon as I can.

L

lonj

Her explanation for the green tea was the caffeine content. Since 1 cup has 60mg of caffeine, 3 is giving me 180 which is too much according to her. She mentioned that the phenomenon I was experiencing was similar to heavy coffee drinkers. Hence her decision on not going ahead with the 3rd session and waiting until my scalp 'normalized'.

L

lonj

Here's a picture. So this is AFTER 2 SMP SESSIONS! And a 3rd one which was only a 1cm strip on the hairline (But even that has faded out over the last week) I'm so so lost and have no idea what to do. Is SMP something that won't work for me ever? I do have tattoos on my body which are still dark after years, why is my scalp reacting so differently.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 2.49.40 PM.jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I can`t see any SMP at all. How long has this person been doing SMP? Maybe ask another SMP provider for their opinion on the Green tea theory.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
If you have tattoos that are dark then I would get a consultation with another SMP practitioner/clinic.....for some though it can take 4 or 5 sessions to get the desired outcome I've seen it happen dude... however to have nearly zero result after 3 sessions surely must be unusual I imagine.

M

mania

I don't need to be worrying too much about it's not very clear...

G

Gjss

How did you get on? Did your smp ever work? I am from south Asian background as well, and had exact same issues. Three full sessions and absolutely zero results. My artist suggested ink can be rejected by skin as metabolism can flush it out of your system