• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Oral minoxidil at 6 months

H

hopeful

I have a separate thread on the forum for my procedure with Dr Bisanga 3 months ago, however I thought I would post a thread regarding my experience with oral minoxidil.
At consultation Dr Bisanga recommend I took oral minoxidil - I started on 2.5 mg - 3 months later I went for my procedure and I upped the dosage to 5 mg.
Although the before and after pictures are at slightly different angles my crown and top of my head are most definitely seeing a big improvement.
I am also 3 months into my procedure and growth has started. Fingers crossed it continues to do so.

13ABE6B0-982E-4920-BD5E-CA97108CF36F.jpeg
C56F3B7C-1947-42F8-940B-36F12A2259FC.jpeg

loui

loui

Valued member
I have a separate thread on the forum for my procedure with Dr Bisanga 3 months ago, however I thought I would post a thread regarding my experience with oral minoxidil.
At consultation Dr Bisanga recommend I took oral minoxidil - I started on 2.5 mg - 3 months later I went for my procedure and I upped the dosage to 5 mg.
Although the before and after pictures are at slightly different angles my crown and top of my head are most definitely seeing a big improvement.
I am also 3 months into my procedure and growth has started. Fingers crossed it continues to do so
The progress looks good, seems that it have thickened up alot.

Have you felt any side effects? Oral minoxidil is complex and have quite a few side effects that are pretty common. Do you do checkups on how it affects your heart rate and blood pressure? You never felt lightheaded?

H

hopeful

Never had any side effects.
Had my heart rate and blood pressure checked regular with no issues at all.

CFG

CFG

Looks great. I just started the 0.5mg but. Want to give it a few weeks before starting the 2.5mg min oral.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a good improvement but better after pictures to compare are needed. Was it on the recommendation of Dr Bisanga to increase the dose to 5mg? Nice to hear you’re experiencing new growth at 3 months. You could be one of the lucky percentage who see a lot of early growth.

H

hopeful

Hi BM
Yes fingers crossed I maybe a Bisanga early grower
Dr Bisanga recommend 5mg from the start , however I decided to start at 2.5 and see how I was.
I had absolutely no sides so I decided to go to 5 straight after my procedure, again no sides at all.
Yes I will need to get my wife take like for like picture although it is without doubt that I am having a response . It has definitely started to show a good improvement

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear no sides with the 5mg dosage. Very encouraging for you seeing improvements so early into the treatment. I’ll look forward to the next round of pictures.

S

Salazar

most definitely seeing a big improvement
Am I correct in understanding that you only had surgery to your hairline, and that the improvement in your crown is entirely due to oral minoxidil? If that's the case, then wow, what a difference.

L

Luka

Is oral minoxidil useful as prevention for potential hair loss in one's twenties? My son is 21 and while he is genetically not prone to hair loss having inherited his thin hair from my wife (no baldness in her family as far as I know), he has excess sebum in the scalp is is worried that it might lead to indirect hair loss.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
Is oral minoxidil useful as prevention for potential hair loss in one's twenties? My son is 21 and while he is genetically not prone to hair loss having inherited his thin hair from my wife (no baldness in her family as far as I know), he has excess sebum in the scalp is is worried that it might lead to indirect hair loss.
Finasteride best for preventative medication in my opinion but even then I would only suggest starting if there is early evidence of MPB. I would not advise oral minoxidil if there is no evidence of hairless.